Top 10 Google Searches

AnOther

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7775344.stm

Personally I have never searched for anything in either list and as far as UK goes I suspect searches for common sites such as like Facebook, eBay, and Hotmail etc. are down to either laziness or people being too inept to know how to bookmark them, overall a bit of lack of imagination wouldn't you say ?

Surprised not to see Britney Spears in there somewhere, she has often topped the list though God knows why [+o(]

I've noticed lots of visitors to my websites come by way of a google search in which the search terms are the exact name of the site.  They obviously don't know any other way to re-visit a site they've already been to before.  This makes me think I should put one of those buttons on each of the sites "Click to bookmark this site"  I wonder if it would work? 

BTW Has anyone any idea why google is the search engine used by so many people?  I have done a comparison and found that the first page of results from a Yahoo search always gives me higher quality (in terms of relevance) than the first page of a similar google search. 

Try it yourself and see if I'm right

Patrick 

[quote user="Patmobile"]

I've noticed lots of visitors to my websites come by way of a google search in which the search terms are the exact name of the site.  They obviously don't know any other way to re-visit a site they've already been to before.  This makes me think I should put one of those buttons on each of the sites "Click to bookmark this site"  I wonder if it would work? 

BTW Has anyone any idea why google is the search engine used by so many people?  I have done a comparison and found that the first page of results from a Yahoo search always gives me higher quality (in terms of relevance) than the first page of a similar google search. 

Try it yourself and see if I'm right

Patrick 

[/quote]

Remember Betamax? That gave higher quality video but VHS established itself  and the rest as they say is history (who say i don't know, someone called they have a lot to own up to)  [:)]

[quote user="Patmobile"]BTW Has anyone any idea why google is the search engine used by so many people?  I have done a comparison and found that the first page of results from a Yahoo search always gives me higher quality (in terms of relevance) than the first page of a similar google search.[/quote]

Google was better than other, general search engines for a few years, and the added plus was that it didn't bombard the user with a confusing dancing and flashing (heavy with advertising) search page. It was easier on the eye; web designers began to take over from computer nerds who had thought black and yellow (indicative of poison, in nature) to be an attractive colour combo. The reason it's still so popular is marketing,(and maybe that those repeatedly googling FB don't realise that they can google 'search engines.' [Www]) Google have a successful press department issuing all this fluff about 'flu epidemics & top 10 searches.  And it gets published. Internationally.

Some people are relatively new to the internet (I'd say unfamiliar and inept, rather than lazy and inept) and their understanding doesn't, yet, extend to comprehension of what the address bar is for, favourites, bookmarks or history. Added to that, there's no reason for them to explore other search engines, if they have one that services their needs, and which came pre-loaded with their copy of IE (remember they just came from using a phone book & an encyclopedia, they have an awful lot to explore).

Those who remember life before Google (and the need to use multiple search engines to reach the whole of the web) might still use different ones... I rarely bother, but Clusty looks interesting. Alhough, the concept of clustering seems most useful for non-native speakers, or those who aren't familiar with operators to define a search. [:-))] [;-)]