Carbon Footprint

krusty

We've also calculated your carbon footprint, which is 17.12 tonnes per annum or 3.3 planets.

Mine is grossly affected by airplane flights which already account for 33% and that's a massive under estimate because the European air travel only went up to 15 hours PA and I do around 6 hours every 5 weeks, and that's ignoring a couple of hours spent on a helicopter, so definitely a no hoper but I'm not planning to lose any sleep over it.

Just redone it but added in 35 hours of international air travel and it now it comes to 30.60 tonnes per annum or 4.72 planets !

9% food - 17% home - 15% stuff so I'm not doing too bad on those fronts but with 59% for travel seems like the rest of you are just going to have to try harder to offset me [6] [:D]

I'm afraid that the website model makes some silly assumptions, ignoring the realities of rural life in France. For example, most French electricity is nuclear-generated, but the website model clearly thinks fossil fuels. I seemed to have a huge footprint, despite never getting in an aeroplane, or indeed travelling very far by car. How & why would I catch a bus or train here? I live in Rue de la Gare - but the railway closed in 1947! There are 3 buses a day each way - but only during school terms.

Like all the green stuff I've ever read, this nonsense conveniently ignores the biggest cause of pollution - children. When I die, my carbon footprint largely goes with me. Those of you who have kids - and can't wait to have grandkids - are perpetuating the pollution for generations to come. Caring for the planet? I don't think so.

Im with cooperlola2.  What about an option to travel by bike for instance, and asking do you HAVE the option to travel by bus (not here, and we live in a small town!).  Very narrow, deliberately slanted questions.  (And I came out at 2.2 planets, but feel sure it should be less than that.)

[quote user="cooperlola2"]

Like all the green stuff I've ever read, this nonsense conveniently ignores the biggest cause of pollution - children. When I die, my carbon footprint largely goes with me. Those of you who have kids - and can't wait to have grandkids - are perpetuating the pollution for generations to come. Caring for the planet? I don't think so.

[/quote]

The answer is to stop feeding them, store them outside under a tarpaulin and use them in the woodburning stove, cant get greener than that [6]

How long does one have to season them though.

There must be a compromise between premature burning, along with all their stored fat etc, and leaving them too long after which there is likely to be little or no worthwhile combustible material remaining [6]

[quote user="Iceni"][quote user="cooperlola2"]

Like all the green stuff I've ever read, this nonsense conveniently ignores the biggest cause of pollution - children.

[/quote]

We are all children .

John

[/quote]

Speak for yourself John, I grew up quite a few years ago (too bl**dy many actually ) [:(]

Why any individual would need to be concerned about their carbon footprint or believe that the actions of any one person could make a difference is beyond me.

It is sitting right up there with global warming.

Government propaganda as a means to introduce more taxes in overdrive.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Iceni"][quote user="cooperlola2"]

Like all the green stuff I've ever read, this nonsense conveniently ignores the biggest cause of pollution - children.

[/quote]

We are all children .

John

[/quote]

Speak for yourself John, I grew up quite a few years ago (too bl**dy many actually ) [:(]
[/quote]

Maybe Steve but you're still someone's child

John

I couldn't agree more Coops2.  Certain parts of the world have had enormous population increases - potentially exponential in the future.

Governments seem to ignore this fact, but in the UK at least,  are using 'green' policies to tax us more.

Tegwini

Article on the radio said there are mountains of paper and cardboard as the world recession bites. This means that they will have to go into land fill or be burnt.

Why because no one is buying it!

A few years ago a friend who worked in scrap and waste said you are all being made fools of, you are sorting out all your rubbish so someone can sell it for profit and your labour is free. I always wanted to think they were wrong and that countries were trying to cut down.

They don't want us to cut down at all, they want us all to earn them extra money.

I believe if the governments really want to reduce they would clamp down on unecessary packaging.  In the building industry lots of things are so well wrapped and take a tool of some kind to unwrap them then the workers cover them in paint and cement, I am not talking about finished items that need protecting. I mean Hammers, chisels, etc.

Anybody thought of punishing these countries who have volcanos in them...dirty smelly things errupting and putting all that muck in the air when we are going to all this trouble to keep the pollution out ......souldnt be allowed !.....And just look what happens when they do errupt ..Mount Pinatubo blew and cooled the planet down for two years ......somebody must do somthing to stop this happening !!!

[quote user="powerdesal"]upper limit of 35 hours air travel is a joke. I do at least 56 hrs a year.[/quote]If you want a pi**ing contest Steve including chopper flights but excluding any non work related flights I average around 85 hours a year [:P] [:D]