Carol Thatcher and the G word.

Gastines

[quote user="baypond"]

Totally agree Russethouse, the assumption that racism is always directed from the majority towards the minority is also totally wrong.

In fact that 'guess' (i would guess that all replies ....are from white members) is in itself a racist comment if you want to get petty. 

[/quote]

So, what colour are you and Russethouse? Have either of you been called golliwogs? You make me ashamed to be "white" [:(]

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"You make me ashamed to be "white"  (Sorry, Cynthia, I don't seem to be able to quote you directly, possibly because your user name is a symbol?)

I wouldn't worry, Cynthia.  I don't feel ashamed to be the colour I am (also white), just because there are other people in the world who have white skin who are bigots.

I had a brief relationship with a black American airman once.  He often used to remark about other whites who would stare at us, and conjecture that they found our relationship somehow distasteful.  It never occured to me, but it was a deep-rooted reaction to him and he was alwaysvery  aware of the effect we had when we were together in public.  I am prepared to believe that there will be some black people, somewhere, who would be offended by being called "golliwog", "sooty" or the n word which the third person in line for the British throne seemed happy to use.  Thus they are offensive and I wouldn't use them.  My father would have been horrified if he'd thought he'd brought me up to think they were acceptable in any way, shape or form and I respected his judgement above most other people's so, as said above, no matter how many people try to tell me that it's somehow OK to use racist epithets, I will never agree with them.  There is no argument that they could put forward which will ever change my mind on this one.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I would guess that all the replies that seem to think it's ok to use these terms, are from white members of the forum? That says a lot about them.

Really - perhaps you should read this

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/we-pretend-to-be-united-but-racism-festers-among-the-ethnic-minorities-701419.html

[/quote]

Hello golliwog, how are you? Why don't you and your like mided posters, go out into the real world and say that to the next black or Asian looking person you see? Let me know their reaction.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

"You make me ashamed to be "white"  (Sorry, Cynthia, I don't seem to be able to quote you directly, possibly because your user name is a symbol?)

I wouldn't worry, Cynthia.  I don't feel ashamed to be the colour I am (also white), just because there are other people in the world who have white skin who are bigots.

I had a brief relationship with a black American airman once.  He often used to remark about other whites who would stare at us, and conjecture that they found our relationship somehow distasteful.  It never occured to me, but it was a deep-rooted reaction to him and he was alwaysvery  aware of the effect we had when we were together in public.  I am prepared to believe that there will be some black people, somewhere, who would be offended by being called "golliwog", "sooty" or the n word which the third person in line for the British thrown seemed happy to use.  Thus they are offensive and I wouldn't use them.  My father would have been horrified if he'd thought he'd brought me up to think they were acceptable in any way, shape or form and I respected his judgement above most other people's so, as said above, no matter how many people try to tell me that it's somehow OK to use racist epithets, I will never agree with them.  There is no argument that they could put forward which will ever change my mind on this one.

[/quote]

The trouble with most racists is that they are totally oblivious to their bigotry. How many times I hear "I'm not racist, but" or "I'm not racist, I have black friends". One of my old neighbours said she worked with a black man, but he did wash himself.

This thread is very close from being locked and removed.

Some posters clearly feel strongly about the topic, nevertheless by entering and posting on the forum you all agree to abide by the code of conduct stated above and the terms and conditions here.

Therefore, please do not post messages which:

• Are insulting, abusive,

racist, sexist, or derogatory in any way to others, whether they are

individuals or companies, users of the Forum or not. This includes

material sent via personal e-mails through this forum.

• Threaten, intimidate, victimise or harass others.

• Use the service in a manner deemed inappropriate by Archant

• Impede or disrupt the flow of the discussions in the Forum
Forum moderators.

[quote user="Russethouse"]Perhaps Coops and ~ would like to say what they would have done if they had been in the  green room with Carol Thatcher ?[/quote] God, she won't let it alone, will she! Have you seen a black lad yet and called him that name? Could you video the response and post it on the forum? [kiss]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Cynthia,

It matter not a jot to me what your race, skin colour, religious persuasion or dietary wishes are but I find your 'anti-white' comment to be seriously racist, totally unacceptable and way out of line. I would ask for an apology but I suspect I would be wasting my time.
[/quote]

[:D] You're funny!

[quote user="Furry Knickers"]

[quote user="powerdesal"]Cynthia,

It matter not a jot to me what your race, skin colour, religious persuasion or dietary wishes are but I find your 'anti-white' comment to be seriously racist, totally unacceptable and way out of line. I would ask for an apology but I suspect I would be wasting my time.

[/quote]

[:D] You're funny!

[/quote]

How??????

Why would I do that- I'd never even consider it, why are you so convinced that I'm racist ? Because I refuse to condem someone for saying something stupid ? Or question your view ? Every one says stupid things sometimes or another IMHO somethings are less harmful than others, but in this instance I would have told her face to face that it was offensive and not acceptable and left it there.

She has worked on the One show for some time, had any of her colleagues, who I believe come from all over the world, had found her to actually be actively racist then she should have got the sack.

but what would Sooty's life and career be worth if he told Charlie Boy not to address him by such a racist epithet

Why would it have made a difference ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/01/14/sooty-defends-prince-charles-over-his-racist-nickname-91466-22689552/

It looks he was a successful business man without Prince Charles patronage

I don't condone it, it's just a theory , I suspect it was the fact that Jade Goody used racist terms with anger that made other people so outraged

[/quote] "Why would it have made a difference?"........ Now you are beginning to sound ignorant. Its about social acceptance within ones chosen group. He may not like Charles at all, but in order to mix within those social circles, in which Charles also mixes, acceptance by Charles will and would make a massive difference to the individual. It really isn't rocket science, and i hazard a guess that there is some pretence to ignorance here on your behalf. I served in the british army. Something i now regret as i feel quite strongly now that person of ethnic origin should die for this country, given the widespread (my opinion) racial intolerance that exists. In order to exist with a degree of acceptance and harmony, it wasn't good enough to be better than the others, you HAD to fit in, you HAD to be seen as one of them, at times there was even pretence to be as STUPID and IGNORANT as many of them were due to there poor educational backgrounds and lack of any social or other understanding of the world in which they lived. Personally, i would have been delighted if Charles' asian 'friend' had smacked him straight in the mouth, and Harry had received similar treatment from his '****' friend. Now that would have been some demonstration that this kind of language is unacceptable...even from the ignorant and priviledge.

but what would Sooty's life and career be worth if he told Charlie Boy not to address him by such a racist epithet

Why would it have made a difference ?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/2009/01/14/sooty-defends-prince-charles-over-his-racist-nickname-91466-22689552/

It looks he was a successful business man without Prince Charles patronage

I don't condone it, it's just a theory , I suspect it was the fact that Jade Goody used racist terms with anger that made other  people so outraged

[/quote]

"Why would it have made a difference?"........

Now you are beginning to sound ignorant. Its about social acceptance within ones chosen group. He may not like Charles at all, but in order to mix within those social circles, in which Charles also mixes, acceptance by Charles will and would make a massive difference to the individual. It really isn't rocket science, and i hazard a guess that there is some pretence to ignorance here on your behalf.

I served in the british army. Something i now regret as i feel quite strongly now that person of ethnic origin should die for this country, given the widespread (my opinion) racial intolerance that exists. In order to exist with a degree of acceptance and harmony, it wasn't good enough to be better than the others, you HAD to fit in, you HAD to be seen as one of them, at times there was even pretence to be as STUPID and IGNORANT as many of them were due to there poor educational backgrounds and lack of any social or other understanding of the world in which they lived.

Personally, i would have been delighted if Charles' asian 'friend' had smacked him straight in the mouth, and Harry had received similar treatment from his '****' friend. Now that would have been some demonstration that this kind of language is unacceptable...even from the ignorant and priviledge.

I would guess that all the replies that seem to think it's ok to use these terms, are from white members of the forum? That says a lot about them.

Really - perhaps you should read this

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/yasmin-alibhai-brown/we-pretend-to-be-united-but-racism-festers-among-the-ethnic-minorities-701419.html

[/quote]

So is this a justification for racism?????????

[quote user="Russethouse"]Perhaps Coops and ~ would like to say what they would have done if they had been in the  green room with Carol Thatcher ?[/quote]I would have told her to her face that language of that sort is not acceptable.  If I'd been her boss, I might not have sacked her but I would have demanded, on the spot, that she publicly apologise for her crass remark. If you ask those who know me, they will confirm that I don't tolerate racism.  How normally rational people can think it's OK is completely beyond me.