Cooking Foil

mint

Yes, I know it's not exactly a subject to set the Thames on fire or indeed to raise the pulse rate.

However, Chessfou has kindly given us Madame Chessfou's recipe for cooking a spicy chicken on the "French" thread and which calls for marinading and making a spicy paste to put in and outside the chicken and it also calls for it to be wrapped up in foil and then baked.

I seem to remember years ago that aluminium foil comes in different grades: there's some that's only suitable for wrapping food in and some that will withstand high temperatures and can be put in the oven.

So, free-range chicken bought today and also the foil from Lidl.  I've read the instructions and I think it's OK for cooking.  HOWEVER, it's rather thin stuff; I mean not substantial like Bacofoil.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Don't want to waste a whole chicken plus all the preparatory work if it's going to be foiled by the foil, if you know what I mean?

Thank you, I think I will use 2 or 3 layers as you have suggested.

I have a feeling there's going quite a bit of "sauce" produced.  But I do fancy a chicken covered in a spicy paste and baked in foil.

Sometimes, however tasty the chicken, I get a bit bored with plain roast.

Now you're talking, teapot!

Can you get roasting bags here? 

Just had another idea....perhaps I can buy on of those disposable aluminium trays and kinda wrap more foil over the top?  That'll be as good as baking the chicken in foil, won't it?

Mmm................hope it's worth the effort.............!

Here you are J.R.

marinade (2 hours): ginger, garlic, yoghurt, turmeric, salt, pepper.
then rub the chicken (inside and out) with a spice paste made from:
onions, garlic, ginger, almonds, cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, pepper, oil, lemon juice, pepper & garam masala.
then in the oven (in foil) for about 1.5hrs.

page 103 "Qui veut chatter en français"   [:D]

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]I am already drooling, where is the French thread?[/quote]

JR, it's on the Qui veut "chatter" en français thread.

But it's on page, I don't know, 103 or 104

But, I have a link for you:

http://www.bigoven.com/156327-Murgh-Musallam-recipe.html

I believe Mrs Chessfou uses a similar recipe; it was a Madhur Jaffrey recipe.

Wish you lived near me and we can take turns to cook it and then scoff it together!

Edit:  Sorry, Christine, didn't see your post as I was busy googling the recipe for JR!

Thanks, Clair.  Have just been checking my cupboards and I have a nice solid disposable aluminium tray that the chicken can just about sit in.

Nice fit, you know, not too much room, so with a foil lid, that should do the trick.

Auchan sells a heavy duty foil that is much more solid/strong than the normal grade stuff sold in France.    They also sell the thin foil too, so just look for the heavy duty one - it will be obvious by the higher price...and smaller roll/length.

Thanks, Lori.  BTW, are you excited about the inauguration?

Patf, actually I was a bit concerned about using foil as you aren't supposed to use it with acids and so on and of course the recipe calls for lemon juice?

But Chessfou, who's the first to mention this dish, was quite definite that Mrs C uses foil to bake the chicken in. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Thanks, Lori.  BTW, are you excited about the inauguration?

[/quote]

I watched it.  I'm afraid I found it rather long, but was pleased to see him happy, healthy and ready to work.  Wife and kids looked very proud and happy too.

I voted for him, so let's just hope the secret service can do their job well and keep him safe.

Yes, I know what you mean.  In fact, my OH was quite sure they'd have bumped him off before the inauguration.

I have an American friend locally who also voted for him.  He MUST have a chance and I was so moved I was crying and not really listening.

I'm going to send Chessfou a PM and hope he'll tell us about the foil and also whether skinning the chicken is the right thing to do![:-))]

Sweet,

The recipe you posted the link to is precisely the Madhur Jaffrey recipe, right down to skinning the chicken (except wing tips)

http://www.bigoven.com/156327-Murgh-Musallam-recipe.html

The foil -

- the same stuff for cooking all sorts of stuff in, especially fish;

- doubt that the tray/foil combo would work properly (if only because difficult to ensure proper seal);

- no problem with lemon juice since it's an ingredient which gets mixed in while in the frying pan; you're not pouring liquid juice onto the foil;

- didn't know there were different categories of foil (on the rare occasions I've bought it, I've just picked up the first roll of cooking foil I've come across) but it seems that the chicken used up the last of the roll, so I can't check the packet but I'll ask my wife this evening.

Twinks, please follow the link that Chessfou has provided, just above this post.  Will tell you tomorrow how it tastes!

Chess, many thanks.  Even as I write, it's marinading nicely in the fridge and I will do the second bit when I come back from the hairdresser's.

Patmobile, LOL, but did she really call it that or have you just made it up?

Twinks, are you still there and paying attention?

Just one booby: I'd read 2 tablespoons ground corriander instead of 2 teaspoons!  Realised my mistake and washed out all the onions, ginger, etc.  Got rid of corriander and left what I thought was the right amount.

Anyway, cooked it in a very well fitting aluminium tray well wrapped up in 3 layers of foil.

Result?  Really yummy!  Dog wouldn't leave the kitchen and insisted on watching the chicken!

Now want to do it for guests.  Just so tasty.

Word of advice:  make sure the ingredients for the paste are really well chopped up or liquidised.  I used fresh spices that I ground up in my electric grinder but you can buy them ready ground!

Bon appetit!

Twinks, are you still there and paying attention?

Just one booby: I'd read 2 tablespoons ground corriander instead of 2 teaspoons!  Realised my mistake and washed out all the onions, ginger, etc.  Got rid of corriander and left what I thought was the right amount.

Anyway, cooked it in a very well fitting aluminium tray well wrapped up in 3 layers of foil.

Result?  Really yummy!  Dog wouldn't leave the kitchen and insisted on watching the chicken!

Now want to do it for guests.  Just so tasty.

Word of advice:  make sure the ingredients for the paste are really well chopped up or liquidised.  I used fresh spices that I ground up in my electric grinder but you can buy them ready ground!

Bon appetit!