Any numismatists out there?

Edward Trunk

I found this coin in the souk in Muscat in Oman.

The obverse shows the head of Adolf Hitler with the date 1935. The reverse shows the Hapsburg Eagle with the value, 5 RM (reichsmarks).

I've been doing some homework and am sure it's a fake. Firstly, Third Reich coinage did not have Hitler's head - it had that of Marshal Hindenburg. Secondly, the obverse and reverse have been minted up side down to each other. (In my picture, I've put them both the same way up.)

I took it to a coin dealer opposite the British Museum and he couldn't make head nor tail (pun intended) of it. The thing is, if it is a fake, who on earth would want to forge a 5RM coin, and do it so badly? Any numismatists out there? PS..before anyone gets worried, I do not collect Nazi memorabilia. I found this in an unlikely place and wondered about its history.

A friend of a friend is interested in coins, so hope you don't mind, I sent this on. He posted it on a forum he's a member of (thankyou), the reply he received........

"I think it will be a modern fantasy piece.

No coins were officially issued with Hitler's portrait.

There were a couple of patterns presented for Hitler's approval but he decided that coins with his portrait should not be issued until the "Endsieg" (ultimate victory) took place."

Anton,

I've got two of the Maria Theresa thalers which were struck by the Royal Mint; I bought them for silver value + striking cost when I worked there (early Sixties). I believe they were struck to be used in covert operations in the Middle East in the Fifties (?Aden), and then Austria decided that they were still legal tender despite bearing the date "1711".