FOR THOSE WHO WATCH BBC NEWS 24

hakunamatata

A question, no its not the Quiz Zone!  What is the most used "word" sound  we hear when tuned to BBC News 24?  Its driving OH and myself mad. I will enlighten you if no-one comes up with the answer by tomorrow, then I want you to count the occasions it is used in say 5 mins.  If you find that quest boring I will enlighten you before tomorrow and you can listen for yourselves.[:@][:D]

Now... (used as a link from one item to the next)

or

expert.....(used to describe anyone who has been chosen seemingly at random to pontificate on a subject)

And, what really annoys me is not a word - it is the gesticulation! (George something or other is the world's worst - he waves his arms around all the time. Just read the flippin news will you)

And while I am letting off steam I might as well add one other thing - the strange breathing. Perhaps there is no punctuation in the autocue script but some presenters (newsreaders aren't the real culprits in this one) appear to take a deep breath in the middle of sentences but not at the end of them.

Hi Baz, we met on another forum over a friendly dispute (rare thing on that forum,over avetar's).

Well nobody has sussed it yet but I agree with the breathing point, shall we call it unnecessary hesitation,

No I will put everybody, all the thousands of you out of your misery and the word/sound is ER. Next time you watch count them

e.g.Joanna Lumely er went to the er house of er commons today to er....................................

And not only but also, do they really need so many weather forecasts, they can keep their high winds, we've lost ours for a day ! Hurrah er[:D]

Worse on most weather stuff!

"it's been errrr raining in errr Surrey and errrr snowing in errrr Kent."

etc.

For little weather girlies it has become as much as a pointless affectation as young tennis players aping Bjorn Borg's habit of blowing on his hand before serving.

Borg of course was an asthmatic: and had trouble getting his breathing in synch.

Worse of course are the expert interviewees, who start every single response with the pointless and oxymoronic phrase "But I mean.............." or "Well I mean......." etc. How can you say "I mean" when you haven't actually said anything yet?

"I meant" could be used it you explained what it really was you wanted to say clumsily or erroneously in the first place.

Since it is glaringly obvious to a truncated fieldmouse who deceased three centuries ago that these "Experts" are nothing of the sort in truth and haven't a real clue what the answers ought to be, it is pretty pointless!

heheh this thread is funny.  My bugbear is the phrase 'sheer weight of traffic' used by every traffic reporter on every London radio station to explain any hold-up not caused by a specific event/accident. EVERY SINGLE TIME. [:'(]

Anyone else notice how nearly all news readers and commentators during the last US Presidential election started using American journalese?

And I mean those ensconsced in their London studios, not those actually reporting form the USA.

Expressions such as "Sho In": and "Bell Weather state".................

Pathetic: like kids using new buzz words and expressions in the playground.

One that was popular last year, especially with politicians was 'Clearly'

As in, clearly we are improving..... or it's clear that we have taken steps.....

when actually what was being said was clear as mud.   The inference seems that if it wasn't clear to you, you were some kind of moron.

Isn't used so much now, perhaps the 'Publisists' (another great word) have been wispering in Minister's ears [:'(]

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Anyone else notice how nearly all news readers and commentators during the last US Presidential election started using American journalese?

And I mean those ensconsced in their London studios, not those actually reporting form the USA.

Expressions such as "Sho In": and "Bell Weather state".................

Pathetic: like kids using new buzz words and expressions in the playground.

[/quote]

Hmm ... what annoyed me was the use of expressions such as "the president today said ..." without explaining that this was the president of the USA. There are plenty of presidents around, why should the assumption be made that only one is worthy of any attention?

By the way, a bellwether is a sheep with a bell round its neck. Where it goes the rest follow....

"Spiralling out of control"........"Essentially"........."This is important"......."Sickth" instead of "Sixth".

In interviews, when the interviewer suddenly says "Listen! Can I ask you a question?"

AND!  Not that I watch all of that rubbish you understand, but why is there that ludicrously long time gap between saying "And the next one saved in the viewers votes is................." And the answer.  Just tell us...for ***** sake!!

Phew! Glad that's off my chest.

[quote user="Weedon"]

AND!  Not that I watch all of that rubbish you understand, but why is there that ludicrously long time gap between saying "And the next one saved in the viewers votes is................." And the answer.  Just tell us...for ***** sake!!

Phew! Glad that's off my chest.

[/quote]

Oh yes!

Now Mrs Gluey sometimes likes to watch that idiotic stuff: like soap opera mega stars pretending to ice skate when all that's happening really is the mega star stands like a frozen cod whilst the real skater waltes around them and the audience goes wild...........

And now there does indeed seem to be a presentational competition where they see who can be the first to drag out the result until next week!

Still, if this competition could actually result in the grinning monolithic ape with the white brillo head standing stock still and remaining silent for a week this would be a superlative benefit to humankind.

Do you mean like bird flu & foot & mouth disease did? I know farmers that lost all their stock - then if you remember we had the 'leak' from the government lab - a drain wasn't it?

Always just in time to save the government from going down the drain!

Breathing in the wrong place - one of the weather forecasters is the worst - plays havoc with trying to follow sentences.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Worse of course are the expert interviewees, who start every single response with the pointless and oxymoronic phrase "But I mean.............." or "Well I mean......." etc. How can you say "I mean" when you haven't actually said anything yet?

"[/quote]

What grates with  me is that these soi disant "experts" love to preface their pearls of wisdom with "obviously".

If what they are about to say is obvious then why are they being paid to stand there and inform us of it?

Or do they think that we are all cretins!