Is This Racial Discrimination?

powerdesal

Having just read an article in the UK Daily Telegraph about a senior police officer being investigated for some possible crime, I was suddenly struck by the following quote:- 

'Alfred John, chair of the Metropolitan Black Police Association, said the

decision was "outrageous" and the result of "personal vendettas".

He said: "The National Black Police Association and the Metropolitan Black

Police Association fully support Commander Dizaei during the course of this

prosecution''

I realise that there are a number of retired police officers who are members of this forum and would ask:-

1. Are these two above associations legal in terms of their apparent discriminatory titles?

2. Are the two organisations, in fact, open to membership of ALL police officers, black and non-black?

3. If the answer to Q2 is no, is this not racial discrimination and hence illegal in UK?

4. Is there a ''National White Police Association'' and a ''Metropolitan White Police Association'' and if not, why not?

This is something I have wondered myself .... & not only about the Police Force. The same argument could be applied to many things, including the MOBO Awards (Music of Black Origin Awards) - is there an award ceremony for Music of White Origin ..... that would be described, by many, as racist without a moments hesitation.

I used to work in the Training Branch, where courses were run for women only, to help them progress up the corporate ladder – why? I always felt it was totally sexist & if a course had been run specifically for men there would have been an absolute outcry.

Oh dear, I think you have really started something here[:)]

If white people were in the minority, you could say 100% yes, but because minorities have to be 'heard' I would say that the politically correct answer is NO it is not racist.

However.........

I think it is racist - how could it not be - but unfortunately, it appears that black organisations are still needed in the UK and probably in many, predominantly white countries. Which shows how far society hasn't yet travelled, unfortunately. Although, I wonder how "comfortable" these associations are. Do members of African descent sit happily alongside Asians, for example.

There are women only organisations that do accept men if they apply. Perhaps it's the same with black organisations - white can join but won't get much out of membership... apart from an insight into the extent of common prejudice even in 2009.

Why don't you try and join the Arab League  or the one legged lesbian club?  Then complain that you are being discriminated against when they reject you.[:P]

Personally, I have never agreed with the existence of the  Association of Black Police Officers as it gives out the wrong message to the wider community, a club within a club.  However at one time it was thought necessary to have such a body to counter perceived and actual racial discrimination within the Police forces against ethnic minority policemen.  Unfortunately the antics of some of its members in certain high profile cases and their readiness to play the race card brings it into disrepute IMHO in the eyes of many.

'Black' is in the charity's name for the same reason as the two associations below include an adjective; to indicate a core interest.

National Disabled Police Association (registered charity no. 1119910)

Christian Police Association (registered charity No. 220482)

From the website "The definition of "Black" does not refer to skin colour.  (...) Everyone within policing is eligible to join the NBPA (There is no barrier to membership)"

I think that the other associations need to be equally inclusive, if not they would fall foul of the Charities Commission regulations.

[quote user="cooperlola2"]When black people - and women of any race - have REAL equality in the workplace and elsewhere, we white males may have something to grumble about. Until then, guys.....[/quote]

Sorry, I completely disagree. There are enough organisations to deal with inequality without starting up groups which will only lead, by their names, to more distrust & suspicion among it's members. It was said earlier that the support offered to Dizaei is probably racist – of course it is, just like some will say the charges against him are racist. If it was being looked into by a totally independent organisation I would have a lot more faith in their comments.

Strange isnt it?

laws against discrimination against minority groups is supposed to protect their interests...

Since on this planet white caucasians only account for 1 billion I think we are in a minority,,,,,,,,,but you know the rules against discrimination and racism only apply if its PC.

While wre on the subject, a muslim has just been given the job in charge of religious programming at the BBC,,,,the end of the world is nigh!!!!!!

[quote user="cooperlola2"]When black people - and women of any race - have REAL equality in the workplace and elsewhere, we white males may have something to grumble about. Until then, guys.....[/quote]

I was not 'grumbling' about anything, I was questioning the logic and asking for an explanation of the applicable rules from anyone who might know.

I now have the answers, not that it makes the slightest difference to me personally as I am neither a policeman or black, nor am I a UK resident.

[quote user="tj"]Strange isnt it? laws against discrimination against minority groups is supposed to protect their interests... Since on this planet white caucasians only account for 1 billion I think we are in a minority,,,,,,,,,but you know the rules against discrimination and racism only apply if its PC. While wre on the subject, a muslim has just been given the job in charge of religious programming at the BBC,,,,the end of the world is nigh!!!!!![/quote]

It seems that the BBC have been told to show more programs with minority and immigrant groups in, as there are not enough being shown at present.

As a result "Crimewatch" is now going to be shown seven nights a week to correct this situation. [Www]

I personally dont think there should be a National Black Police Association, after all, its hardly "PC" is it !!!!!!! 

Slightly relevant - did anyone see the George Gentley episode on Sunday? The series is set in the 60s and this week the story was about gang warfare among the "Arab" population of South Shields. They were referred to several times as black or coloured, though they only looked a bit sunburnt to me.

But my point is that as depicted in the play racist stereotypes and mistrust of other races were much more explicit than they would be shown now. So perhaps there has been some progress in tolerance. Or just swept under the carpet?

I write as a former Met officer, and quite clearly this organisation is legal. I found it rather depressing that it had to exist but know that some black officers would not consider joining it. It did have its uses, I think; I knew of one black officer who joined the police but was afraid to tell his parents. The BPO was able to support him, I suppose because they had an understanding of his predicament. It seems sad that he was unable to confide in his training staff at Hendon.

[quote user="plod"]I write as a former Met officer, and quite clearly this organisation is legal. I found it rather depressing that it had to exist but know that some black officers would not consider joining it. It did have its uses, I think; I knew of one black officer who joined the police but was afraid to tell his parents. The BPO was able to support him, I suppose because they had an understanding of his predicament. It seems sad that he was unable to confide in his training staff at Hendon.[/quote]

But then that principle could equally apply to potential applicants

from sink estates.  I'm sure any one of them choosing to join the police force would have a rather tricky time back home.  Does that mean we should have a White Hoody Police Association?

IMHO if you can't change the wording to 'white middle class male' without causing offence, it's racist / sexist - period.

Is there a Metropolitan White Police Association- not one that I am not aware off. Yes it is RD and would be in the normal relms be illegal.

Why is there not a Metropolitan White Police Association?  No need, as no matter what colour/race/gender a Police Officer is, they are the association all members of the  - Police officer Association. 

To have other associations within the Met for BPA (Black Police Association) or infact for any UK Police Force,  is discrimination, as no non black/other race/gender specific may not join. Why no outcry from.....anyone, have a guess.

It is the need of non-white recruits to make the Force seem non-racists and as these recruits are pushed up the promotion ladder they (parliament) and the political correct brigade, have allowed this association to develope into what it is now.

Who will object and try to disband now?

[quote user="Patf"]

But my point is that as depicted in the play racist stereotypes and mistrust of other races were much more explicit than they would be shown now. So perhaps there has been some progress in tolerance. Or just swept under the carpet?

[/quote]

Or perhaps its now against the law???????  [blink]