Micheal Jackson Dead

Rose

[quote user="Russethouse"]

I can remember where I was when Kennedy was killed, the first man landed on the moon, when I heard about Diana, 9/11, the London bombings, but when entertainers die.....????? 

[/quote]

Sure, these people and events were important to you in your life Gay - and you have your reasons why. There are millions of people who thought Michael Jackson and a host of other entertainers were just as important to them too.  Entertainers or artists have had an incredible impact on generations of peoples lives and whether you like it or not pop culture plays an important part in society.

Obama, Gordon, Tony, George, Jimmy, Nicolas, Ronald  etc.... all love to drape a few on their arms from time to time.

Ask yourself why?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Russethouse"]I can remember where I was when Kennedy was killed, the first man landed on the moon, when I heard about Diana, 9/11, the London bombings, but when entertainers die.....????? [/quote]

Where were you when Kennedy was murdered then? I am just curious! I was making extremely large love with a very lovely person in Ballinaspittle when we heard about Michael on radio Shamrock. It stopped me in me tracks, I was just totally stunned and found it impossible to resume where I left off. Michael was not just a mere "entertainer" he was the biggest superstar of all time, and there will never ever be the like of him seen again. It would be nice if his family could have a  private funeral away from the media glare.

I won't remember where I was when I heard of MJ's death because his music wasnt' to my taste.  But I certainly remember where I was when I heard of Sandy Denny and Jim Clark's deaths.  These were people whose talents I admired deeply and thus they did have an influence on me - it cannot be denied.  As for Diana - again, didn't much care either way and I don't know where I was when I heard , but Kennedy, yes.   We are all different.

But I still miss the more innocent times when musicians were musicians and sportsmen and women were just that and the cult of celebrity for celebrity's sake was much less important and people knew very little about their private lives, much less cared.

[quote user="cooperlola"]

I won't remember where I was when I heard of MJ's death because his music wasnt' to my taste.  But I certainly remember where I was when I heard of Sandy Denny and Jim Clark's deaths[/quote]

Who were they? Now Michael only passed away on thursday night, so your memory can't be that bad [:)] There can't be anyone on the planet of any age that did not know who Michael Jackson was. I will never forget where I was when Pat O'Malley died. A lovely lad and he adored Cairn terriers. Of course all the scandal stories strted to break the next day. Thems the dirty hooers that work at the Kildare Weekly Horse News!

When the news of Kennedy's death came through I was doing my homework. For some reason we were not watching 'Tonight'  (with Cliff Mitchelmore, Fyffe Roninson et al) as we usually did when the news came on the TV, but a friend phoned and told us the news. I remember for hours all the TV said was 'The voice of America' says that President Kennedy has been assisnated'

I do remember when Elvis died as the girl I worked with had the radio on and cried all day leaving me to do all the blooming work... :-( 

@ Furry: Honestly, I already can't remember which day it  was -  certainly the discussion and the interminable tribute programmes which keep screwing up my TV recording schedule seem to have been going on for longer than four days.[blink]

But you're right - only people living without radio or TV wouldn't have heard of him.  Still don't like his music though, sorry.

Sandy Denny was the lead singer of Fairport Convention, and Jim Clark was a world champion Scots racing driver, btw.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Still don't like his music though, sorry[/quote]

Of course not everyone liked his music, you don't have to appologise about that me little hen [:)] Shur there was some of his music that I never liked too! That scream he did with Janet, I hated that. Smooth Criminal was me favourite track of his. The video for it was amazing too.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

When the news of Kennedy's death came through I was doing my homework. For some reason we were not watching 'Tonight'  (with Cliff Mitchelmore, Fyffe Roninson et al)[/quote]

The only Fyffe I know is the lad that makes the bananas, was that him? I have noticed that you never get banana jam. I was in a pram in Pluckerstown when I heard about Elvis. He was a lovely lad too.

The only Ballinaspittle I know of is a bar in Kinsale Co Cork, I hope it was closed at the time [;-)] or did you mean Ballinspittle?

I was in school when the reports in the UK started coming in that Kennedy was shot, we were all summoned back (we had only just left assembly) to the main hall and they had a TV setup although you needed binoculars to see it from where I was sitting. I remember a couple of female teachers crying and the headmasters speech wavering a bit as he explained what happened. We were then send home for the rest of the day.

I was in bed when man first walked on the moon and got up really early to watch the recording on TV.

I remember us all sitting round having breakfast listening to the radio about Martin Luther King being shot.

I was in bed when Princess Di was killed although as I had a radio alarm clock I was woken by the news ready saying she was involved in a car accident and had been taken to hospital. I remember thinking that I hoped she was OK, I used to see her a lot at Thorpe Park (I had a boat in the marina opposite) taking the boys for some fun, made them queue like everyone else to get in.

I turned on the TV the other day and every channel had a program on about MJ, I complained to the wife "its either tennis or MJ whats going on?), "he's dead" she said.

Got a couple of his albums, his music and dancing is a bit dated these days and many have moved on music wise although having said that he was probably one of the best of his generation. He married a Princess (THE Kings daughter) but chose the monkey instead for a soul mate, says it all really. I would not say he was the greatest musician/entertainer that has ever lived there are many just as good if not better and some have already been mentioned but then its down to personal choice I suppose. I do feel sorry for his fans but more so for his family. Any death of a young(ish) person is a sad thing. Hopefully his kids will be well provided for.

A few dates that I remember.

I was in the process of losing my virginity with the radio on softly in the background when Elvis' death was announced, it did kind of put me off my stroke.

Competing in a hillclimb in the Pas De Calais when a French guy told me that Diana had died, none of us spoke french and we thought that we had misunderstood, on the ferry back the news channels were on and everybody was in a state of shock.

I was repairing an intercom fault (my workmanship!) for a good customer when she ran to the gate and told me to come straight to the house to see the breaking news, we got in just as the first of the twin towers collapsed, we remained glued to the telly for a few hours.

Jim Clarke was probably the first time that I was old enough to understand the concept of death, he was my idol and I was inconsolable.

Re Michael Jackson, and at the risk of being accused of being crass (or worse) again, what did happen at his trial?

When I left to go travelling the media was full of the impending trial, I never heard any news of it and when I asked someone they thought that it had not gone to trial or been settled out of court.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]Re Michael Jackson, and at the risk of being accused of being crass (or worse) again, what did happen at his trial?

When I left to go travelling the media was full of the impending trial, I never heard any news of it and when I asked someone they thought that it had not gone to trial or been settled out of court.[/quote]

Not guilty.

[quote user="TWINKLE"]

...........You have edited your post Ron - the original one asked me what my view on MJ is.  .....................I admired him as an artist.  I never lived with him so I don't know what kind of human being he was. For all his talent I wouldn't want to trade places with him.

[/quote]

Sorry Twinks, I had seen your post but as it was agreeing with me I forgot it was yours[kiss], so I edited my post to reflect that you had already given your views. [:D]

I'm also sure I would not want to change places with him at this moment either[Www]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]

[quote user="Ron Avery"] Soon as you were gone in came Dog from Peckham ( gateway to the Sarrrfff)[/quote]

Actually Ron, it was Balham - Baal haam as Peter sellers said it in his faux American accent - that was the gateway to the south.

[/quote]

Have to disagree Tony, when I lived in South London, I played cricket in Dulwich,  we had a number of ex Peckham Manor boys including John Embury in the teams at the time.  Whenever Peck'am was mentioned it was always followed by " The gateway to the south".  Probably more accurately should have been the saaarf east , you know Isle of Sheppy, Leysdown, Margate etc etc straight down the A2[:D]. 

The only one I remember was Di (it on the radio news when I woke up).  I don't remember the day Elvis died but I do remember that it was in the school holidays because most of my favourite TV programmes were replaced by back to back Elvis films which I wasn't greatly impressed about!  The others are all before my time (though OH says it would be impolite to mention this in older company!)  

MJ doesn't even come on the radar when compared with real superstars like Al Jolson who probably outsold MJ and had far more talent.

Wingeing about Mjs childhood doesn't stack up when you concider how pleasant and talented Jimmy Osmond is - but I guess he got religion.

I tend not to even think when entertainers, minor royalty, corrupt politicians die - I remember Suez the Israeli Six Days War, The Malvinas Fiasco, Chernobyl plus the latest two stupid wasteful unwinnable wars.

If only MJ had half the talent of his plastic surgeons...

Elvis dead....it can't be true, surely  [:P]

Kennedy, it was about tea time on a Friday as I remember, I was on a coach from college, going home for the week end.

911, I was glued to the TV all day,.....in an Arab country !!!!

Jim Clark, Bob McIntyre, Donald Campbell.....I remember all of them.

Princess Di, a sunday morning, I didn't know until lunchtime when I got the papers. Sad no doubt but I never cared for the woman.

Michael Jackson, some good music but no hero worship from me.

In south London they probably nicked the expression, the original was on a Peter Sellers LP back whenever.  Unlike the people from north of the river who I'm sure you'll agree have always been more cultured and who kept their coal in the coal cellar or the coal shed, rather than in the bath as those south of the river did.

It was most definitely Balham. It was also a coded reference to the West Indian community there.

See

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/genres/comedy/filmography02/007.html

or hear

http://www.wandsworthcompanion.com/2008/06/peter-sellers-balham-gateway-to-south.html

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

I think as Tony said they probably nicked the expression ot it was an in joke at the cricket club.  So was Neasden the gateway to the North?  I remember Neasden featuring in some goons sketches?  [/quote]

Nah.  Wot-f-or-d.

If I never hear another MJ record it won't be too soon for me. Solid wall-to-wall coverage is depressing me no end[:@]

No worries though cos when Murray loses later this week it should wipe MJ from the pages for a while at least.

tuppence