Which way will it go?

just john

As someone whose first action in the morning is to read papers on-line I too have pondered what I would do in the event of charging. I surmise that I would probably subscribe to one organ if I couldn't find any free ones that suited me. It would all depend on the cost I suppose.

I think it's a short-sighted policy.  After all, these owners have their own agenda to push (witness Bellusconi) and, if they lose readers left, right and centre, they ain't going to be able to spin their stuff.

Also, I've always thought that newspapers earn their keep through the adverts and not through the cover price.  No internet readers=fewer adverts=less revenue=reduced exposure=less influence.

But, it'll serve them right for being greedy![:D]

I wouldn't read papers online if you had to pay for them.  Everyone would just go to a free site e.g. the one provided by your Internet Service Provider.

Surely the way forward would be to have more adverts on the internet pages?

I suspect that it will be pay for the service or there will not even be a paper. The Observer, apparently, is in serious trouble and may be forced to close. And (advertising revenue related) ITV is in serious trouble.

To think that Roy Thomson said that commercial television was a licence to print money ...