Bl**dy UK Tax Office

Bugsy

After months of trying to sort out an overpayment of income tax, letters, forms, more letters etc, all with a completely zero result, my wife finally received this letter today.

Dear Mrs ******

Thank you for your telephone call to H M Revenue and Customs Contact Centre on l9

August 2009.

Unfortunately, l am unable at present to deal with your enquiry or finalise a response, we are

currently undertaking significant maintenance to upgrade our systems to offer you a befter

service. There is no need for you to call us again as we will deal with your telephone query

as soon we can, and if necessary contact you at a@later date.

Please accept my apologies for any delay which you may incur, and any subsequent

inconvenience caused.

lf you contact us, please quote your National lnsurance number and provide a daytime phone

number.

I wonder if the same response to them would be as acceptable as they seem to think this will be.

[:@][:@]

http://www.accountancyage.com/accountancyage/news/2248543/taxman-fined-500-h-vaughan

As an aside, a colleague who started working for us in early June is still paying 40% tax with no personal allowances because they haven't processed the P45 from his old job - despite having received it nearly three moths ago.  They've told him it will be another 2-3 months before it will be processed and he can be put onto the correct tax code!!

I once produced a beautifully produce letter with small cartoons and pictograms explaining how useless I thought the tax office was and how poor the service.

Four years later my brother was visiting a fellow squash player a senior taxman at his office, he asked if he knew my name and produced a copy of the letter. Apparently copies had been circulating in the tax offices for amusement - they never did reply to it.