Left Handers

Gardian

I read this morning that Stuart Broad (the cricketer, for the unitiated) bats left-handed but bowls right-handed.  That really surprised me, because I sort-of assumed that the former would dictate left-handed throwing / bowling.

I'm left-handed for writing, left-handed for throwing / bowling, but would bat right-handed and would kick a ball with my right foot. I use a knife and fork conventionally.

The more of this nonsense that I write, the more I'm confusing myself.  Any enlightenment anywhere?  

I deal handed and shuffle , I think because I learned to do it before I learned to write. Right handed for almost anything where it is easier, too many power tools are near impossible to use left handed. Own a left handed pair of scissors. Hebrew and Arabic right from right to left because that is the direction you would use a chissel and mortar if you are right handed. Columns of numbers are also written left to right because when the Italien mathmaticiens/bankers learnt figures from the Moors and Jews nobody told them to reverse the direction. You cannot buy a left handed hockey stick or play hockey left handed. Useless information or what ?

[quote user="Gardian"]I'm left-handed for writing, left-handed for throwing / bowling, but would bat right-handed and would kick a ball with my right foot. I use a knife and fork conventionally.[/quote]Ditto but would use a snooker cue or tennis racquet or baseball bat etc. right handed - if I did any of those things at all that is [;-)]

Also, if something were flying toward my face, my instinct would be to defend with my right hand in front and the left behind. I fold my arms and interlock fingers left over right.

[quote user="AnOther"]I fold my arms and interlock fingers left over right.[/quote]

Interesting, just tried and do it right over left.  (Feels wrong the other way around.)

I hold a pen, bat, ball, raquet, veg peeler &c. in my left hand. 

Wear a watch on left wrist, push doors open with right hand, start riding a bike with left foot.

I hold an iron in either hand, depending on where it is when I start (what a dull thing to be ambidextrous at!)

Do right handers also have these side issues?

Our son is left-handed - like his dad. He was appalled when he started school at 4 1/2, by the little girl who sat next to him, as she used her left hand to write her name; he thought males were left handed and females were right-handed. Well you would, wouldn't you, if in your family your sister and your mum were right-handed and you and your dad were left-handed? He later trained himself to use his right hand for quite a few things - like playing tennis; and especially golf - as the golf clubs were more readily available - and often cheaper - right-handed than left.

Sue

This has made me smile.

I write left-handed and my left is my favoured side, but at infant school in the ealry 50's we were discouraged (quite forcefully!) from using our left hand for writing. It didn't stop me though! I think this accounts for the mix in left/right usage. I bowl ten-pin with my left, but crown-green bowl with my right!! [:-))] Never understood that! Some things just can't be done left-handed, like using conventional scissors, and another difficult thing is fanning a hand of cards, the numbers are all hidden!! I have to fan them upsidedown and then turn them up!

Tres gauche

Sid

It also has a lot to do with which eye is dominant.  I have one son left-handed, right eye dominant and the other right-handed, left eye dominant.  Its a nightmare trying to teach them to shoot a bow.  My left-hander is very left handed except at things he learnt very young like using scissors (and playing cards [:P] ) but he bats right-handed.  He is also lightning quick at 'reaction' games like badminton.  I heard that was because left-handers have more direct wiring to the motor side of the brain.

This is really interesting.

Left-handed for:

peeling spuds,

writing,

drawing a bow,

throwing,

bowling,

kicking - balls or people or even people's balls,

scissors,

ironing,

tennis,

table tennis,

washing,

combing my hair,

painting my nails.

Righthanded for:

batting - cricket,

hockey,

golf

Either hand for:

opening doors

wearing a watch

winking

dealing cards

Don't knows:

pushing off on a bike - can't ride one!!

cards - I can do a really flash shuffle thingy but not sure if it counts as right or lefthanded.

that finger clenchy thingy someone mentioned i dont understand - neither hand seems to be on top.

I eat the conventional way as I was always taught that this was the only proper way to eat.

(However, I use my left hand for the spoon)

I also manage to write (with my left hand) without sticking my elbow out or writing upside down or turning the paper round. There really is no need.

Glad we don't still have inkwells though - now that was always a very messy business for me at school

I agree on the writing. I write (badly) with my left but in the in the normal RH fashion. It amazes me the weird contortions some people adopt when there is absolutely no need for it.

I met someone not long ago who was left handed and used his computer mouse turned 180deg around the opposite way with his thumb akwardly bent under the palm to press the buttons and scroll the wheel. Try it for yourself, it's nigh on impossible, yet he found it comfortable and practical.

Bubbles, Ame, I to can wink with either hand, oops eye I meant to say [:$]

That reminds me - I can do that thingy with my fingers where you separate the first two from the second two and play scissors. Can't see the difficulty at all.

Apparently some people find it impossible so I can't be as cackhanded as all that, can I?

Mind you, I am a bit clumsy generally.

...that thingy with my fingers where you separate the first two from the second two...

That's nothing to do with handedness, it means you are Vulcan. [;-)]

(I can wink with either and do the Cadbury eyebrow thing, but I favour the left for winking and it's the right brow that flies up in mock-shock [:-))]).

[quote user="bubbles"]...painting my nails. [/quote]

Oh, you must mean toes! I was wondering how you managed to paint your left hand fingernails!

Bubbles, when you link fingers (like some children do to pray) which thumb is on top?

write left, eat right; throw left, use screwdriver right; wink left, sweep right; household - peeling spuds etc., left, garden right. Come to conclusion that my left side is my 'natural' side but where strength is needed I have reverted to using my right!

I write naturally with my left hand but if I want to think about what I am writing then I use my right hand. It was a bit disconcerting when, because I had tennis elbow I had to use my right hand to write in the office, quite a few people commented that they could now actually read my writing. I play guitar right handed but have to clean my teeth left handed (except for my denture which I can clean with either hand!!!!!!). Mixed up - who me?

Our younger son could write using either hand when young. Right was neat and legible, left was messy. I hoped he would opt for the right finally, but the left was eventually the one. His writing is still messy (although a slightly neater form of messy when needed - eg for work, birthday cards etc). He also uses his right hand for a number of sports etc. Interestingly, he's the only one in the family to use his left hand.

Jo

[quote user="bubbles"]Just realised I am using my right hand to scroll on this laptop.[/quote]

I had a colleague who was right handed, but used his left to operate his mouse.  Makes a lot of difference when you are planning office / desk layouts .....