US Muslims ask for protection fearing backlash

Frederick

So sad that these kinds of things reflect on whole communities who have nothing whatsoever in common with the perpertrators.  But I do like this sentence:

"No political or religious ideology could ever justify or excuse such wanton and indiscriminate violence.”

It seems to me that political and religious extremists do just that on an almost weekly basis.

It seems that the perpetrator had been systematically bullied by colleagues because of his ethnicity and religion and had been asking, for sometime, for a discharge from the army.  His request had been refused and instead he was being deployed to Iraq - alongside his bullies.

If he lives it will be interesting to look into the mind of a man that can do such a thing - though as a trickcyclist he may a difficult person to read.

I am dismayed but not unexpectedly by the amount of ex-servicemen being found guilty of crime much of it violent.

There was a Muslim cleric on R4 tonight asking for tolerance - it would seem one of the first people that suffered after 9/11 was a Sikh that was murdered in revenge in error as a Muslim.

So sad that man has to resort to violence in the first place.

[quote user="Scooby"]I'm guessing that everyone has a snapping point Dog.  We are all capable of murder - it just takes different things to push us to that point.
[/quote]

Perhaps - but no good comes from violence.

I would hope we could resist the easy way.

Its not an easy call for the US military with over 3000 muslims serving in their armed forces to permit one to bow out just because he does not want to go to war in a muslim country . I suppose some person on high decided not to open the flood gates to similar requests not to fight and insisted he goes . They recruited them... they are in their ranks with non muslims they have all got to go . I cant see how a special case dare be made not to send them because of their religion .

I suspect that if this had happened in Iraq or Afghanistan the US military machine would have tried to cover it up as "friendly fire" or "collateral damage" - more difficult in the middle of Texas. Many Americans seem not to be great thinkers so will see this simply as a follower of Islam killing good old American boys, leading many to suspect that an American Muslim is really a Muslim who happens to be disguised as an American.

BTW Muslims try to kill Muslims every day, Sunni vs Shi'ite, with both claiming that "God is on my side".

John

[quote user="Russethouse"][quote user="Théière"]

Just to touch on the subject,

I always wondered how muslim fought muslim during the first world war? Plenty of asians fought for us against the turkish muslims without crying out.

[/quote]

Why, Christians fought Christians, why should Muslims be any different ?

[/quote]

You are right RH, most of the religious books say thou shalt not kill anyone not just the same faith, but killing infidels is ok. It's just they make such a fuss about Muslim rising against Muslim. After all the o'l club membership won't grow if they knock each other out.