Question Time 22/10/09

Quillan

On the subject of tax evasion - the biggest tax evasion is from those running cash businesses and food shops viz: taxi drivers, restaurants, takeaways, corner shops...see a pattern????

A Pakistani friend of mine told me that this was the reason that these were the businesses of choice for Asians.  The £1 for the tax man £2 for the back pocket scenario.  He said it was also the reason that most Asians elected to live in the city. 

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tegwini; sorry I neglected to respond to your posting for so long - I too was having dinner!  The Values you list are what I would term "universal human  rights" rather than values that can be attributed exclusively to the English.  You use the word "all" quite frequently.  I consider the word "all" to mean "everyone"; not just those of "English" genetic origin.  If that is what you mean then you must agree with me; that all human beings should benefit from these values and should be welcome in England or anywhere else. 

Oh, and Scooby, you said; [quote]A Pakistani friend of mine told me that this was the reason that these were the businesses of choice for Asians. [u] The £1 for the tax man £2 for the back pocket scenario.[/u]  He said it was also the reason that most Asians elected to live in the city. [/quote]

Your "friend" must be a member of a great big bunch of heros - a brotherhood of Robin Hoods!  Overpaying their tax like that (assuming they're earning less than £37,400pa in the next taxable year of course)....[:D]

[quote user="buelligan"]

Tegwini; sorry I neglected to respond to your posting for so long - I too was having dinner!  The Values you list are what I would term "universal human  rights" rather than values that can be attributed exclusively to the English.  You use the word "all" quite frequently.  I consider the word "all" to mean "everyone"; not just those of "English" genetic origin.  If that is what you mean then you must agree with me; that all human beings should benefit from these values and should be welcome in England or anywhere else.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, we can only hope to enforce those values in the UK - but while honour killing is seen as a 'cultural nuance' our 'English' values are being trampled underfoot.  Unless of course you subscribe to a little petrol pouring and a few matches....

Scooby, I do apologise for not understanding your prose!  I admit it, I can be very "stoopid" from time to time. But I wonder, could it be that you did not understand your "friend's" "confession" either?  

With regard to "honour killings", I abhor any sort of violence.  It is my understanding that killing another human being is still considered a crime in Britain (unless, of course it is sanctioned by the State), am I incorrect in this assumption?  If not, pray tell me, what is your beef?

Hi Buelligan

These values are not really universal - in many countries females are discriminated against in most of my list.The west mostly has these values, but many countries elsewhere don't.

'All'  was used to emphasise that many countries exclude females often from many of these rights.  It's hardly a right if for example girls cannot go to school,  or if a religion imposes its ideology on others - and uses violence against females for transgressing, for example, a dress code.  Obviously all citizens/reisidents qualify - but like many, I think that the UK is full and can't cope with the 70 + million predicted for 2030. Remember France is twice the size with a similar number of people - that's the appeal of France for me, and presumably you ?

Rights  or values ?   I shall give that some thought - at present I think that values or ethics perhaps ultimately became what today is considered a 'right', but started as for example as a natural law- eg the 10 Commandments.  'Rights' today are often misused.

I suppose as a female I am concerned - when my Mother was born UK women couldn't vote, and I worked for 7 years paid less than a man with the same qualifications and experience-  as a teacher with published pay scales for men and women.  I suspect that my grandchildren/granddaughters will have fewer rights than we have now.

I don't at all like the BNP, but I am tired of all the changes here, and the speed of the changes, the PC mania, the waste, that we the public, the tax payers are powerless and ignored,  the rubbish politicial class that rules us ... and  so many more, but it's bedtime !

Tegwini

I suggest that you google honour killings and read some of the stories.  The UK police are totally ineffective and have openly admitted to missing hundreds of such deaths.  Factor in all those women on the run and you have a serious issue. 

I was a tax accountant in practice and worked on a number of enquiry cases so I know the stats on evasion.  I can only assume, Buelligan, that you live life with your head up your ***

I agree Tegwini!  Bedtime, or rather, I have some unexpected friends who have just arrived and want to drink and talk. As far as I understand you though, in my brief speed-read of your post, what you are really worried about is people who do not offer the freedoms and benefits you think are positive to others (in your case, females).  If you feel like this, surely, the best thing you can do is to set an example and give those benefits and considerations to others?  No?[:D]

And thanks Scrooby, I do attempt to live with my head up my asana (as a keen student of yoga), how very perceptive of you.  Long may your bead-counting pleasure you.[:D]

tegwini wrote that the definition of being English is:

"Clearly wanting and able to speak English (not necessarily grammatically correct!)   Able to relate to the country, its history, its values, its culture and to wish it well, able to fit in and contribute to society and etc. (My thoughts)." 

So. therefore, I am french then?! Or does your reasoning just apply to 'England'?

I am one of those people Jack Straw referred to when he said that not many people in England are "truly english". On behalf of my non-english ancestors, I would like to thank all those who are "truly english" for your hospitality over the last 9 decades.

"If you feel like this, surely, the best thing you can do is to set an example and give those benefits and considerations to others?  No?

quote Buelligan

Hi Buelligan

This seems a bit obtuse - setting an example ?  giving benefits and consideration... ?   How can I 'give' benefits to others - I am not part of the political class - just a humble female somewhat grateful for the crumbs from the master's table.

What, like many others, I object to,  is that hard-won rights may be lost in years to come, even in the UK,  if the % of the population changes and changes into one that sees females as second-class, not citizens, but second class people!

Tegwini

You're quite right tegwini - how very silly of me!  It is far better for women not to bother their pretty little heads about anything.  You are indeed free from any responsibility to offer to others what you would like to receive yourself.  On the whole, it is far more constructive to complain about the losses one might suffer and do sweet Fanny Adams to make the world a better, happier, safer place. 

Buelligan

Your cynicism and sarcastic comments are uncalled for!   How very silly of me to assume in my pretty little head a constructive or other than a sarcastic comment.  I shall not bother to respond any more - clearly you are so very superior to many on this forum, and your barbed comments say lots about you.

So what would you do ?

Tegwini

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Richard"]This is what Nick Griffin really meant to say:

[/quote]

Can't watch it I'm afraid

"This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions."

[/quote]

It was the Question Time which someone has cut and pasted things Griffin and the others said on the show to make them say different things. eg to make Griffin say the BNP is racist, the guy who has put it together cut Griffin saying "the BNP" from one part to "is racist" from another part of the show. That sort of thing. It was quite humerous.

Don't really understand why it's got copyright restrictions when the bloke who produced the clip would have broken copyright in the first place. Daft inonsistent regulations.

I used that iportal thing in the tv section of the forum to see it.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

This little gem might get Mr Griffin some votes, unfortunately:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1222613/Labour-let-migrants-engineer-multicultural-UK.html

[/quote]

Why is that so unsurprising, it fulfils so many tick boxes for the so called Labour party - it should be renamed 'Make everyone work for the government'.

Politicians see their worth by the amount of tax collected and the head of humans they control - it makes them big and powerful and happy and they feel needed and very rich mmmmm....

Well, now it appears the BNP is having a surge in recruitment.

Not undue to his managing to appear as the underdog on Question Time. A role helped by being shouted down continually by the audience and other members of the panel, even by the chairman (not a patch on his father), who was much less than impartial.

I thought it was relatively restrained they had obviously been selected, by race and colour and anti BNP and briefed to stay seated and attack only the one eyed monster verbally.

I wonder if the BBC will now arrange an ambush of the equally useless Tories and NuLabour - it would only be fair...

I thought the programme was a complete non-event.  The others on the panel had nothing much to contribute and Griffin himself was trying so hard not to say anything inflammatory that he ended up saying nothing except, bizarrely, he had changed his mind about the holocaust due to intercepted radio messages?

If the extended moronic clapping and calling out had been kept to a minimum by Dimbleby we might have got some sort of debate, but somehow I doubt that was the intention from the start.

I imagine that the BBC got what they wanted....decent viewing figures.

I completely agree with the comment that Dimbleby is not a patch on his father and that he allowed the ridiculous "clapping and calling out" to go on for far too long. I used to enjoy Question Time until he took over and decided that his role as a facilitator should be extended to the point of becoming an extra panellist. A panellist with extra powers of course, such as being able to decide when a particular line of questioning had gone on too long or which questions deserved an answer in the first place. I was going to mention Jack Straw, but just typing his name has given me palpitations, so I am going to stop there!

[quote user="buelligan"]I think it would be useful if you would define the Values and Culture of the "English", tegwini.[/quote]

Why are you so keen to know the answer to this question? Do you think that possibly you may have a test to take to see if you can become a British citizen at some time in the future and are looking for some tips? [8-)]

[quote user="Dog"]I thought it was relatively restrained they had obviously been selected, by race and colour and anti BNP and briefed to stay seated and attack only the one eyed monster verbally.

I wonder if the BBC will now arrange an ambush of the equally useless Tories and NuLabour - it would only be fair...[/quote]

I agree . I even thought at one time the audience given the huge disterbance going on outside the TV center must be all made up from BBC Staff ...Not the usual question time at all and gave up watching it !

I have been trying to remember the name of a TV program I once watched but I can't, I think it was called something like 'How English are You'. Anyway the general gist was they selected a group of people and asked them how English they were. There were two people that I remember, a mature lady and Ian Wright the footballer. Whilst the first, who held opinions only very slightly to the left of 'him' and was ranting about the population being diluted by immigrants etc whilst Ian Wright was sure he came from Africa somewhere in his dim distant past. The then took DNA samples from which they could work out the region of the world their family line originated from. It turned out that the 'white' English aristocratic ladies DNA originated from Romany Gypsies in norther Russia and that Ian Wright had far, far more  English DNA in him that she did. Of course she claimed it was a setup, a fiddle etc, etc.

The point I am coming to is wouldn't it be interesting if they did the same for 'him' and wouldn't it be a real scream if it turned out he came from some obscure coloured Jewish or Muslim part of the world or someplace similar.