UK rental income tax credit

kizpip

Just received this year's tax assessment. I haven't received a 'credit impot revenues ètrangers' on my UK rental income this year. Any idea why not or anyone else in the same boat? Have I made a mistake or has something changed??

Thanks Pat. I've sent off an email to tax people but, knowing there are many of us with similar type of income, I wondered whether same applied to others.

I'd be interested to know whether anyone HAS received a credit impot on this year's tax statement...?

I just looked at mine for this year and last year and for both my UK rental income is shown in the montant declaré column in the Reductions d'impot section. You don't have anything there? Have you actually been charged any tax or social charges on it? In the Detail des Revenus section I can see a credit.

I declared it in those boxes too. I also put it on the 2047 and this year, filled out the 2044 (because I changed to declaring it reel and so used 4BA and 4BL). I've looked through the version of my declaration saved in my impots account and can't see anything else relevant.

Have you checked your declaration in your impots account to make sure it's as you expect?

Thanks Debra. I'm beginning to see it more clearly. Yes the rent amount is shown in Reductions d'impot section, Montant declare column as 'Credit impot sur rev.etrangers'. What is different this year is that this isn't carried I over to the opposite page under 'Détail des revenues' so when you arrive at 'Total des prélèvements sociaux nets' the amount payable is almost double that of last year (on similar earnings). We come under the tax threshold but, of course, pay social charges on our other income.

Have you checked your declaration in the documents section online to make sure it appears in 8TK?

Mine shows in each column the various types of income, the base imposable, a charge for the whole amount (9.9% of the base imposable in the CSG column, for instance) and then a credit of 9.9% of the amount of the rental income which is deducted from that charge to arrive at the net amount shown in bold at the end.

There have been a few changes in the last couple of years in the way things are reported and there are always problems with the way changes are implemented, even when they're automatic.

I'm expecting to see problems re pensions because of the box changing that you have to report foreign ones in. This happened a couple of years ago but it was really important to get it right this year because of the PAS system coming in and the changes were in preparation for that.

I had an email from the impots saying that you had until sometime (December) to make amendments to your forms if you had made an error.  New thing I think, but maybe that will help if you think you got something wrong. Can't help on the specifics,  as this doesn't concern me.

We're having a few difficulties filing online this year.  We have filed unfurnished UK rental income in 4BE and 4BK; is this correct?  This also appears on 2047 in the section Revenus imposables ouvrant droit a credit d'impot etc.

Haven't had the OK as yet from the tax office.  Have we done the right thing?

Any help greatly appreciated.

This year I completed 4BA, 4BL and 8K. Have just received my Avis D'Impot 2018 on line. I have been given Crédit d'impot sur rev étrangers on Impot sur le Revenu but have not been given the corresponding credit for the Prélevements Sociaux. I received both credits in 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Am believing this is an error and I plan to go to the Tax Office once everybody is back at work, Will post result !

Barry

8TK? Odd - I thought it was pretty much automatic if you filled those boxes out. I've done those same boxes this year (switched to reel) and I don't pay tax so I wouldn't know if that bit worked but I've definitely had the credit on the social charges.

bkm7, very similar to me.

I'm still awaiting a proper reply to my email query. I went to the tax office - silly me, closed in the afternoons. I rang on Thursday and was asked to re-send my original email but, of course, no reply as yet. Looks like I'll have to go in perso, when they're open this time?

In preparation for my visit to the tax office, can someone tell me WHY social charges aren't (supposed to be) charged on UK rent? I know it has something to do with the Double Taxation treaty but we pay it on bank interest and dividends, so where does it say that rental income is any different?

I remember a lot of discussion on the same subject on this and other forums some years ago, but I'll be blowed if I can find it now!

• 4 weeks later...
I phoned our tax office on 3 September and it was agreed that the CSG should not have been charged on UK Rental Income (in my case the credit had already been given on the 'impots' part !) and that a rectification would be issued. Received the Avis de Dégrevement yesterday 15 September.

B