End of the World? - Large Hadron Collider

Quillan

Caught my eye when browsing the newspapers today. I seems there is a second court case in the offering to stop the Large Hadron Collider at CERN being powered up on the basis that it will create 'mini' black holes which earth could be sucked into. The article was in The Times (Click HERE to read)

[quote user="Théière"]

I saw a small black hole the other day, it was of course too late by then as I lost my change and very nearly my car keys.

Darn it I hear you shout! [:D]

[/quote]

Funny enough I thought much the same. I always wondered that if they have an exit point where is that and is there some chap (or woman) siting somewhere with a shed load of money, car keys and of course that illusive article of mens clothing, odd socks.

I think you are confusing Black Holes and Wormholes.  Socks and keys and stuff would be hyper-crushed (just invented the word) by the enormous gravity of a black hole and could never re-appear anywhere. 

It's obvious that these things disappear down wormholes, some of which are probably generated by the accumulated energy of things jingling around in your pocket, others by the spin dryer whirling matter around.  They may then travel to other parts of the universe.

The wormhole theory allows for the possibility of them re-appearing (one at a time in the case of socks), whereas the Black Hole idea means they are destroyed for ever and can never return in the same form.

Patrick   

I'm surprised that no-one has yet pointed out the suspicious coincidences that have occurred since the LHC recommenced operating: the fire hydrant that sprang out of nowhere to hit Tiger's car and the slow-moving vehicle that suddenly appeared in front of the Italian Police Lamborghini, causing it to crash into a line of parked cars. Clear evidence of LHC-generated tunnelling phenomena, if ever there was any.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Patmobile"]I think you are confusing Black Holes and Wormholes.  Socks and keys and stuff would be hyper-crushed (just invented the word) by the enormous gravity of a black hole and could never re-appear anywhere. 

It's obvious that these things disappear down wormholes, some of which are probably generated by the accumulated energy of things jingling around in your pocket, others by the spin dryer whirling matter around.  They may then travel to other parts of the universe.

The wormhole theory allows for the possibility of them re-appearing (one at a time in the case of socks), whereas the Black Hole idea means they are destroyed for ever and can never return in the same form.

Patrick   
[/quote]

Now you see my theory differs from yours in as much as it depends on type of matter concerned and if a black hole or wormhole is responsible. By this I mean soft matter (a sock) and hard matter (car keys) use two different method of transportation.

Now a black hole is suppose to bend space and time so using the old piece of paper with a mark at each end then bending it round in circle so the two points meet example is exactly what happens to car keys. You put the keys down, they disappear, you check all your pockets, the rest of the house, accuse everyone of moving them etc only to find them back where you first put them, the shortest route between two points i.e. bending time and space.

Now in the case of a sock, which is soft matter, it goes in the wash basket as a pair and what you get back is just one of the pair, the other has been transported off, via a worm hole, in to the ether somewhere never to be seen again. Well only until you give up and throw the other away at which time, or shortly after, the other seems to reappear. Clearly this is not bending time, or space.

I rest my case m'laud.

[quote user="Pickles"]I'm surprised that no-one has yet pointed out the suspicious coincidences that have occurred since the LHC recommenced operating: the fire hydrant that sprang out of nowhere to hit Tiger's car and the slow-moving vehicle that suddenly appeared in front of the Italian Police Lamborghini, causing it to crash into a line of parked cars. Clear evidence of LHC-generated tunnelling phenomena, if ever there was any.

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

And back in CERN the conversation just as these events happend was "Whatever you do don't press the big red button...... I said don't press the big red button......... Oh rollocks".[+o(]