Justice denied anywhere diminishes justice everywhere.

buelligan

Erns-Ano, in the 2 and a bit years since I've lived here, I've only been to the UK once (and that was at a family member's specific request).

Other strange thing is, someone's brought me mince pies, a Dundee cake, Scottish Shortbread, a Christmas Pud, etc and I don't even want to eat any of it!  So, something, somewhere inside me must be changing.........(no longer hankering after the traditional foods and Christmas rituals).

But, I have much affection and sometimes homesickness for the Concept of the UK.  Only the Idea of it, I think, because that one and only visit was a searingly unpleasant experience.  I came scurrying back here after spending the least amount of time I decently could and I have not been back there since. 

Sweets, I have a very similar experience and feel similarly about it.  But, although I've cut my ties with the UK for good, I don't think issues like this are confinable within national borders.  Personally, I'm pretty much pursuaded that Dr Kelly was murdered and that his unlawful killing was covered up.  This is a human issue, this is a justice issue.  Whether it took place in the UK, China or wherever.  As someone once said "If you want peace, work for justice..".  Little one can do in most cases without power, but, whilst there is still some free speech left, one can certainly refuse to turn a blind eye.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Erns-Ano, in the 2 and a bit years since I've lived here, I've only been to the UK once (and that was at a family member's specific request).

Other strange thing is, someone's brought me mince pies, a Dundee cake, Scottish Shortbread, a Christmas Pud, etc and I don't even want to eat any of it!  So, something, somewhere inside me must be changing.........(no longer hankering after the traditional foods and Christmas rituals).

But, I have much affection and sometimes homesickness for the Concept of the UK.  Only the Idea of it, I think, because that one and only visit was a searingly unpleasant experience.  I came scurrying back here after spending the least amount of time I decently could and I have not been back there since. 

[/quote]

Reminds me of the "Where is home" thread not long ago.

Can I have the mince pies though? Someone brought some back to me and I've scoffed the lot already. 12 years without is a long time.

Tegs, you don't want to be in France plein temps though, do you?

For me life in the UK and in France cannot be properly compared because I was working in the UK and now I am retired.  So, don't really know how retirement in the UK would have panned out.

Bue, I can't agree that Dr Kelly was bumped off:  not that I know, mind.  Just a sort of instinctive rejection of something so horrendous, I suppose.  I do think that these petitioners are clutching at straws or rather specifically at Jack Straw.

Richard, I used to be like you, just adored mince pies but now they taste strangely guey and over-sweet.  That cos I's called Sweet and so I don't need anymore sweet things...........see, knew there was a reason somewhere [:P]

Sweet, you should read up on Doctor Kelly, it seems highly unlikely that a man of his background and intelligence would end his life by cutting a vein that seals itself before blood loss is anywhere near dangerous level, and although he had tablets on him evidence of one one fifth of a tablet was found in his stomach. Plus the presence of people saying they were police officers, but never seen again, and now the fact that the case was opened before he was even reported missing.......very, very odd.

Not to mention the odd decision by Dr Kelly to wipe all the fingerprints off the knife he used to cut his own wrist...and of course the wonderful way he managed to move himself even after he was dead....[url]http://www.bedfordshire-news.co.uk/bedsonsunday-news/DisplayArticle.asp?ID=340617[/url]

I too think that we have not heard the whole truth of the matter however I believe that it's pretty well accepted these days that, terminal illness aside perhaps, the taking ones own life is an act born of a mental imbalance, if not an outright illness, so may very well appear to be completely out of character.

You're right, RH, I should read more about this.  I did confess to knowing very little, however.  I am shocked and recoil at the implications:  not a very adult thing to do, I know.

If there were to be a new inquiry or indeed a proper inquest, it will only drag on and on and then you can't expect any clearcut conclusion.  THAT'S the most depressing aspect of all, I think.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Tegs, you don't want to be in France plein temps though, do you?

For me life in the UK and in France cannot be properly compared because I was working in the UK and now I am retired.  So, don't really know how retirement in the UK would have panned out.

[:P][/quote]

Well I think so -  perhaps  , maybe ...

Problem is, toyboy husband is still working and doesn't want to retire as yet.   I do, but can't get my own way here - drat! 

Also we have a Wilts/UK house to sell first.  French house is more or less ready and waiting for us.   But, I do fancy retirement in France and lots of travelling.  Sounds as if you enjoy your retirement there?

Regards

Tegwini

Keep both properties for a bit, Tegs, at least, until the UK market turns up a bit.

Can you try part-time retirement?  See whether it's really, really what you want.

Poor old Dr Kelly didn't get to enjoy his retirement, did he? (felt I had to put that in to stay on thread but I did want to reply to your post!!!)