Washing machine not draining

Mr Coeur de Lion

I have a year old Haier washing machine (just out of warranty), that refuses to drain. It sounds like the pump is knackered as it makes a funny noise.

Does anyone know where you can get parts for this washing machine? I've tried google, and it doesn't seem to have the answer this time.

I have drained all the water out, but the front door still won't open. How do you open the doors on these front loaders?

Wish I'd kept the top loader, at least you can open them if there's a problem to get the clothes out.

Have another look at the pump by removing the filter and see if you can see the pump impeller inside. Try to see if the impeller turns freely.

When I worked as a service engineer for Miele many  years ago, one of the most common causes of washing machine failure was a blocked or jammed pump - Bra wires are a common cause - they slip out of bras and then work them selves down to the pump where they jam the impeller !

Paul

[quote user="Punch"]Bra wires are a common cause - they slip out of bras and then work them selves down to the pump where they jam the impeller !

[/quote]

Thats happened a few times to me as well, they also sometimes get stuck between the drum and the casing making a 'ticking' noise as the drum rotates.

You might try the pipes as well. Most of them are supple an can be squeezed to see if they are blocked. We have had problems with washing powder/tablets with solid stuff blocking the internal pipes. We now use liquid.

Richard, if you take the back off don't forget to unplug it first. [;-)] Wouldn't like to think of you in hospital all over Chrismas.

We have a Haier washing machine but it's a top loader.

Once we had the same problem of not emptying and found that the belt had snapped (someone put it on spin without shutting it firmly.)

Tried all over for the part - rang manufacturer etc - and in the end went to an electromenager shop with the broken belt and he ordered one for us. He's very helpful, if you want his number.

Thanks for the suggestions all, and yes, the first thing I did was unplug it :)

I did turn the impellers of the pump where the filter is located at the front of the machine and they didn't turn freely, so that sounds like the problem. And when it has tried to drain, it did make a clicking noise.

So I'll take the back off this afternoon, now we have power back (power cut ce matin), I'll get in and try to remedy the situation.

Think I'll just buy wireless bras from now on ;)

hahaha, you're probably right!

Anyway, I fixed it. Took the draining pump out and there was a little bit of silicon, I think that may have impeded on the impellers of the pump (wow, flash words for this time of night).

Gave it all a clean, although it was pretty spotless, put it back together and ran through the cycle perfectly.

Now, I have a little leak from it, guess I didn't put a hose back on properly, but I'll worry about that next year, as I have guests for the xmas duration.