Forum Member cooperlola

cooperlola2

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 11th visit, two weeks after she was admitted to hospital, and I’ve at last got a certificate showing the injuries, which are far more numerous than even I had understood. E.g., I thought 3 right ribs broken, whereas this diagnosis says nos 1-9! There are lots of other damaged bits listed, which shows how wonderfully thorough an A&E unit can be. Deb’s breathing has improved in 24 hours, with her oxygen intake now up to 97-98, instead of the 91-92 that kept causing alarms yesterday. This is probably down to clearing more muck off her chest. Not a nice process, but she’s good at it, evidently. Again, I fed her apple compote, but had to wait outside for over an hour, while the doctor and head nurse decided how to overcome some problem. I think one of the feeds or monitors has not been working well, and it has been moved from her right shoulder to her neck, making her marginally less mobile in bed. Her hands, increasingly clear of bandages, are very swollen, as an allergic reaction to something, so she cannot hold a book or turn the pages, sadly. This is frustrating the poor thing, I think.

I’m having two days off the road to Rouen, being at CPAM (health services) in Le Mans tomorrow, and having the Skoda serviced Friday. Unless there is dramatic news, my next report will be Saturday, therefore.

I would upload a pic of Deb in her cot, taken this afternoon, if anyone can tell me how to. I don't see an instant method onscreen. Ditto, I am prepared to upload a copy of Deb's diagnosis, minus all details of hospital and doctor, of course.

If you go onto whatever you use to play around with your photos on your computer, firstly cut them down to a maximum of 700 pixels wide if landscape and 700 pixels deep if they are portrait.  Then go onto something like photobucket (you'll probably need to create an account) and upload the pictures there.  Once you have them on photobucket you can look at the various options under the pictures and then click on the one which begins IMG.  This will copy the link which you can post into your mailing.  I suspect there might be some more concise instructions on how to do this if you search the site but this usually works for me!

Glad about the ongoing good news by the way...

Cooperlola is being moved out of Reanimation Chirurgicale (Intensive Care)today, so I infer they're pleased with progress! More on that later, I hope. A lady at the hospital rang me to tell me - prefacing her identity and remarks with "nothing to worry about". A genuinely social service! The hospital have been truly wonderful to date.

For those living in France - I attended CPAM today to get our 2007 earnings etc noted. I played the sympathy card by showing an image of Deb in her cot yesterday. Despite my relatively poor French, we got along well, the lady helped me fill in the bits I hadn't grasped, and took the certificate and bulletin d'hopitalisation. We've never found the CPAM people other than helpful, but the orders they get from above sometimes defy logic. Last year, after filling in all the forms and delivering them to CPAM in person, we all seemed to get a letter saying they'd received nothing! I'd like to see someone sacked for that sort of cockup - but no-one gets sacked here!

As Deb knows only too well, and as you yourself have found Ian, the CPAM orders that filter down from above are often less than expertly thought out and woefully late in arriving. 

I'm glad that you got the CPAM stuff sorted, and ecstatic that Deb is being moved out of intensive care. Perhaps it is now time to start thinking about quizzing Deb on her DVD want list? 

One step forward, two steps back. Deb is indeed in another ward, where I have just tried to ring her, to check details etc. When I got through, she told me she has started a major panic, because she may have brought an infection with her. I assume there is the hospital equivalent of a coalmine canary spluttering away somewhere. She will let me know.

MIL rang Deb while the Doc/Head Nurse debate was under way yesterday, so I was kept waiting outside longer than needed. Deb was fuming about it! When I got home I rang MIL to tell her about the improved oxygen levels etc, but she had other people with her and was too busy to talk to me. I haven't heard from her since. That's what makes her insufferable - she really is only looking for entertainment. In Malta, early-teen Deb was required to be her mother's companion at all times - except when MIL had a boyfriend around, (this was when the Royal Navy still had a major base in Malta, so chaps were not in short supply, one imagines) when Deb could stay out all night. When the elder daughter died, it was all about poor Dorothy having lost her daughter, not about poor Helen who'd lost her life!

Hi Ian... your description of Deb and her injuries sound so dreadful... obviously no lorry is going to get in Debs way though!  So glad that things seem to be moving forward and she is making progress... you're both in our thoughts as usual... even my 9 year old is asking after her each day now! [:D]

MIL sounds like a right cow!  obviously the charm, care, brains, humour etc skipped a generation and went straight to Deb! [:$]

Spoke to Deb this morning by phone – she is now able to answer her own calls! She apologised for getting in a panic yesterday – the only infection is a minor urinary one. As she’d said she’d come back to me, and I still haven’t understood the extra extension number I’ve been given, I didn’t want to disturb the hospital if she had indeed been at the centre of something nasty. She found she couldn’t dial out, so we were each waiting for the other to ring!

Surgeons have chatted to her about getting her going again, and they are proposing a tough regime of physiotherapy, taking 4-6 weeks, at Rouen – but then she’d be able to come home! Realistically – things always take longer than you hope – she might be back in time for my 60th birthday, on November 12th. You can imagine I would view that as a pretty nice present!

I hope to visit her tomorrow, and will then have all the info needed for others to visit if they wish. Cards etc that people have kindly sent will be going with me, I hope. Deb is in a private room with tv & cupboard space for clothes etc.