Forum Member cooperlola

cooperlola2

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have just caught up with this thread on my return from France.  So very sorry to hear about Deb's accident, but delighted that she is now awake.  Very best wishes for the speediest possible recovery for Deb and take care of yourself in the meantime, Ian.

I too have only just found this thread,   I'm really so sorry to hear about Coops and wish her a speedy recovery.

It's so nice that someone who has been such a great addition to the forum has engendered such a response,  even if it's taken such a dreadful experience to allow us to say how much we respect and like you!

If there was a Trades Descriptions Act definition of awake, I’m not sure Deb would quite meet it yet. I arrived, walked in and called her pet name – instant stir, eyes half opened, and tried to follow me round the room – without success. Still got a mouth full of tubes, of course, so no hope of verbal response. She was aware it was me, and I gave her simple news about all the people rooting for her, how the hospital thought she’d recover well, and the gendarme had said it was not her fault. Result – snore! I sat for about an hour, until they needed to work on her, and as usual the expected 20 mins they needed took more like 50. When I went back in, she was clearly gone again.

Yes, it’s undoubtedly progress; no, she’s not really with-it at all. It’ll get better!

Ian

Saturday! Now we've got a result I can't stay away for long, can I? I'll probably do Sunday too, but Monday I have French-speaking friends coming in the afternoon to help with some phonecalls. It's just a shame that the waking process was so elongated, as I'd have happily skipped visits last weekend if I had known that she would be well out of it.

I see well-meaning folk are again suggesting I stay at Rouen. No point. I am not really welcome in the hospital until 1500, and not wanted after 2100, and between those hours I struggle to stay in Deb's room for a whole hour before they need to do another procedure that requires me out of the way! Rouen, as I found on Tuesday, is a lovely city, despite the RAF bombing in the last war, and has lots of gorgeous streets with seriously old buildings. Concrete hell it ain't. The Metro is fun, and I caught it from the northern terminus to somewhere on the other bank. It was packed and clearly doing what it was designed for. I have ridden comparable systems in Sheffield, Manchester, Newcastle, Croydon, Wolverhampton, and even Le Mans, but never before have I seen a pretty young woman get on a busy tram, open the cab door, kiss the mature driver, and then take her seat! Delightfuly French! Hooray!

The other good reason for not staying in Rouen is that updating you lot (and another website, plus loads of emails) can only be done by me from Chez Nous!

It's Saturday morning - always a special moment, somehow, even now we're retired! - the sun is shining (but for how long?) and I just thought I ought to record the enormous pleasure I'm getting from Deb's friends on here. This is a formal "THANK YOU!" - yes, I am shouting! - to you all for your kind and in many cases practical suggestions. The discipline of making a daily report to you is also helpful for me, making me think about issues and progress more critically. We have a long way to go, but the first 10 days have been rendered much better as a result of your warmth. If you have made a suggestion and I haven't responded, please don't feel ignored. The point about a thread is that I can refer over the coming weeks - and, sadly, months - to make use of your ideas at various stages in this grim process.

Collectively and individually, you are lightening my load! I am SO grateful!

So pleased the Forum is helping you Ian. You need all the help you can get at the minute, just take it. It is worse for the person who isn't ill. Can remember how awful I felt when OH was in hospital sedated for a couple of weeks and he can't remember a thing. Hopefully with all the rest Deb's body is getting the recovery will be very quick.

Best wishes for big improvement when you next visit. Keep the reports coming.

It's nice to have "met" you Mr Coops - even if the circs could have been better. [:)]

Deb might not have done much over the 10 days but her recovery started when she arrived at the hospital. She is 10 days into recovering - and she's probably missed the most uncomfortable part when every inch of her ached from the jarring her body got when the crash happened. So once she's awake and talking again, you may be amazed by how fast she makes progress. Hope so anyway. [:D]

Are you going to tell us what Deb's pet name is? [6][:D]

I think you're deliciously naughty to ask, but don't think Deb will mind her pet name being bandied about on here - she's "small girl" and I'm "small boy". When we found a French shop called "Petit Boy" we were amused! Since Deb is 5'5 & I'm nearly 6' - or used to be before the stoop kicked in - neither appellation is really correct, and of course, as a man I couldn't countenance any suggestion that "small" referred to anything else! All those enhancement products in the spam leave me yawning - but then any man would say that!

Ian, I can detect a lightening of your spirit and your sense of humour is coming to the fore.

You must be so looking forward to Coops being able to talk to you again.

Keep up the good work and, as Coops has said to many others on the forum, "bon courage!"

By golly, she's going to be proud of you![:D]

"What is your pet name?" is one of those questions that I would love to ask but don't usually have the courage to.  My father called my mother 'mon petit choufleur'.  I don't have one.  I have several for my husband....

Ian.  Thank you for posting regular updates.  I come online especially to find out how Deb is.  I'm very grateful to you for taking the time to let us know.

Bon courage.

Today’s visit could only be described as harrowing. Deb was much more with it, but her breathing is now terrifyingly difficult. Twice I felt constrained to get the nurses in to do something, and both times they seemed to agree I was right. We held hands while she struggled for breath, despite the oxygen tube in her mouth. She repeatedly gurgled and coughed, sending the oxygen pump alarm into overdrive. I was very frightened. I am sure that the shocks to the lungs, compounded by a long period of sleep after the anaesthetic, and the sudden withdrawal of the Gauloises, are causing the problems, which may ease as days go by. If they don’t, well…..

On a lighter note, she didn’t know she was in Rouen, nor have any idea how long she’d been asleep. Her eyes went wide when I told her.

Holding hands was nice.