Snow Leopard (iMac)

Bugsy

I bought Snow Leopard back in October when I was in England.

Still haven't psyched myself up to install it.

Have been scared of losing stuff and not sure what things I ought to save to disk.

Will I still have all the bits in the dock for example?

OH is worse than useless - he is of the "If it's not broke don't fix it" school.

Can you give me any tips, s.v.p.?

Hi Bubbles

The only problems I have heard of have occurred when people have a much modified systems installed.

One or two have experienced a problem with their ISP (internet service provider) having to be re-installed.

I use Orange with a Livebox and had no problem whatsoever.

Do a backup.

Make sure that you have all passwords etc for your ISP (just in case its needed)

Install Snow Leopard.

Enjoy.

Should anything disappear from the dock (unlikely) simply open 'Finder', click 'Applications' find, click and drag the programme you want into the dock, right-click the icon and tell it to 'keep in dock'

Takes about 45 minutes from start to finish.

Gary.

[quote user="Albert the InfoGipsy"]I'm on Tiger (OS X 10.3 ?). [/quote]

Me too.  How difficult is it to upgrade to Leopard, (for a

non-tecchie), I just got the mac and turned it on and everything

worked.  But I've not been able to upgrade my firefox, everything went

weird when I tried, so I quit and left it all alone.  Not much

customisation - I would neither know how, nor have the time.  And is is

worth the money and time to upgrade if it is all working reasonably

well?

Any advice gratefully received.

[quote user="Judith"]  And is is

well?

[/quote]

If you're happy with Tiger, I'd say stick with it.

What version of Firefox are you currently using?

I was a very lucky girl and got a Macbook Pro for Christmas which comes with Snow Leopard. My first Mac. I'm impressed - it's excellent, every day I'm discovering new things and am amazed at how easy it is to do things. I'm very, very , very happy!

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Judith"]  And is is

well?

[/quote]

If you're happy with Tiger, I'd say stick with it.

What version of Firefox are you currently using?

[/quote]

Firefox 3.0.17.  MAC OS 10.4.11.  I update when the auto update says there is a new update, but I've heard various reports of troubles with the new version of Firefox, so stayed well clear.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  But the whole thing (esp word, which I update as above) goes slow sometimes.

[quote user="Judith"]I just got the mac and turned it on and everything

weird when I tried, [/quote]

Forgive if I am wrong but I thought FF was for Windows pc/laptop users to access the internet as an alternative to Internet Explorer; and that Safari was what Mac users used to access the Internet. My son has a Mac and his came with Safari when he bought it.

[quote user="suein56"]Forgive if I am wrong but I thought FF was for Windows pc/laptop users to access the internet as an alternative to Internet Explorer; and that Safari was what Mac users used to access the Internet. My son has a Mac and his came with Safari when he bought it.

[/quote]

Firefox have both Mac and Windows versions Sue.

Google Chrome also but still in beta format for the Mac.

Safari has some problems with this forum in that replies to threads don't carry over well, small reply box and no 'smilies' etc. That said it is by far the fastest of the three (on my iMac, anyway)

[quote user="Judith"]

Firefox 3.0.17.  MAC OS 10.4.11.  I update when the auto update says there is a new update, but I've heard various reports of troubles with the new version of Firefox, so stayed well clear.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!  But the whole thing (esp word, which I update as above) goes slow sometimes.

[/quote]

Firefox did have problems in the past with Tiger but are deemed to have cured the bugs with version 3.5.3.

Worth a try but I'd remove the existing version you have and do a clean install of 3.5.3.

You won't lose your existing bookmarks etc if you do this.

[quote user="Bugbear"][quote user="Judith"]

[/quote]

Firefox did have problems in the past with Tiger but are deemed to have cured the bugs with version 3.5.3.

Worth a try but I'd remove the existing version you have and do a clean install of 3.5.3.

You won't lose your existing bookmarks etc if you do this.

[/quote]

Thanks - I might try it when I am a little less pressured!!!

[quote user="suein56"][quote user="Judith"]I just got the mac and turned it on and everything

weird when I tried, [/quote]

Forgive if I am wrong but I thought FF was for Windows pc/laptop users to access the internet as an alternative to Internet Explorer; and that Safari was what Mac users used to access the Internet. My son has a Mac and his came with Safari when he bought it.

[/quote]

Used Safari when I first got a Mac (at work) but once Firefox came along, after some initial difficulties, I now much prefer it.  There were several sites (not only this one) which did not work properly with Safari, so now I don't bother with it.  Its still on the machine though, as it does come already installed, as do quite a lot of things with a MAC.

[quote user="Bugbear"]

Firefox have both Mac and Windows versions Sue.

Safari has some problems with this forum in that replies to threads don't carry over well, small reply box and no 'smilies' etc. That said it is by far the fastest of the three (on my iMac, anyway)[/quote]

[quote user="Judith"]Used Safari when I first got a Mac (at work) but

once Firefox came along, after some initial difficulties, I now much

prefer it.  There were several sites (not only this one) which did not

work properly with Safari, so now I don't bother with it.  [/quote]

Thanks both, I am now much wiser. It never ceases to amaze me what you learn from this forum.[:)] *

* You have to imagine a smilie as I can't seem to do them at the moment - no idea why.