Bugsy

Listening to the lunch time news with half an ear (I don't suppose I shall be allowed to say with an ear half-c*****d), it seems that inflation is way higher than anticipated........so there you go, it's one step forward and two back.

[quote user="Bugbear"]Could this be due to the fact that messrs Brown & King have kept their gobs shut for a few days?

[/quote]

Partly perhaps, but the continued rise is because I had to transfer some money from the UK to France yesterday morning before the rise accelerated !

Here's an article confirming that inflation rose to 2.9% in December. Contrast this to the Governments promise to raise the basic state pension by 2.5% in April and we're going to be playing catch up again. On the other hand savers (if not already locked into some measly rate for the next XX years) will benefit as interest rates rise in an attempt to curb inflation.

Although, of course, the greedy bankers could just stick their fingers up to

the savers and not pass on any increases so as to protect their

bonuses.  [:@]

http://www.citywire.co.uk/personal/-/news/money-property-and-tax/content.aspx?ID=377495&re=8147&ea=161021

[quote user="NickP"] I don't understand is all this talk about the pound being down helping exports. Does the UK actually export anything anymore? Especially as we don't appear to have any manufacturing  industry.[/quote]

It's a question of confusing exports and (un)employment.

We export an enormous value in exports(medicines, cars) but these are now manufactured in very sophisticated and mechanised ways. Have a trawl around the Office for National Statistics website, although by it's very nature these figures will be historical.

This is why Gordon and Darling have been more than happy to see the £ fall internationally.

[quote user="Benjamin"][quote user="NickP"] I don't understand is all this talk about the pound being down helping exports. Does the UK actually export anything anymore? Especially as we don't appear to have any manufacturing  industry.[/quote]

It's a question of confusing exports and (un)employment.

We export an enormous value in exports(medicines, cars) but these are now manufactured in very sophisticated and mechanised ways. Have a trawl around the Office for National Statistics website, although by it's very nature these figures will be historical.

This is why Gordon and Darling have been more than happy to see the £ fall internationally.
[/quote]

We don't manufacture any cars, the ones built here are all foreign owned. As for the medicines, everybody has sussed the bird/pig/any other animal you care to name  flue scam, and don't want it. In fact they are giving it away, so that market has collapsed.

It would also help if some of the lazy journos got off their fat****s and didn't just use each others stories as research material, BBC included. When was the last time one actually went outside the M25?

3 months ago, at CIA conference, in Burton-on-Trent, I had one tell me "Of course you're all wasting your time, Britain doesn't make cars anymore".

He was stood, 10 miles from the biggest carplant in Europe, which on it's own turns out more cars than Fiat, or BMW, or Audi,,,,,,,79% of which go for export. Stupid, ignorant, p*llock.

If you add the hitech Pharma, Defence and PetroChems to the old style metal bashers, suddenly the UK becomes Europe's biggest manufacturing economy......................by far. Source PwC-The Future of Manufacturing.

But, hey, some lazy journo knows best.

The experts continue to do well with their prophesies, Unemployment they said would reach 3million, now dropping. A Japanese car components company opening a new factory in Swansea, Wales- the biggest investment in this kind of work for decades.. Bosch(car parts for Mercedes. BMW) moving from Cardiff to Hungary.Is it the cynic in me that wonders whether they are moving whilst they can still blame the recession?

As a (now retired) aerospace engineer, I'm not sure why people are always so keen to knock Uk engineering and manufacture. For example (source UKTI):

• Aerospace contributes £1bn to the UK balance of trade and consistently has a positive balance of trade.
  • There are around 3000 aerospace companies across all regions of the UK.
  • Globally the UK Aerospace industry is second only to the US, with a turnover of about £20billion
  • Exports in the aerospace sector accounted for 69 per cent, or

£14.2bn of sales, reinforcing the global nature of the aerospace market.
  • New order intake in the UK is £35.04 billion and the export percentage was 69 per cent in 2008.
  • UK designed and manufactured aircraft engines are in service with

more than 600 airlines around the world (source Rolls Royce website).
  • With the Airbus A380, some 400 UK-based companies supply almost

half of the content, with the most high-value parts of the aircraft,

the wings and the engines manufactured by Airbus and Rolls-Royce

respectively in the UK.
Brian (again)

Unfortunately brianagain "Aerospace" is not within the scope of the "Manufacturing" catergory, so officially is not considered "Manufacturing" ! Bizarre, I know, that was my point in an earlier post. UK strengths in Defence, Aerospace, Pharma, Petro, Plastics, the hi-tech, hi-value, areas of an economy are not considered (internationally) as "Manufacturing" which is just low value metal bashing, inorganic chemicals, etc. The definition needs dragging into the modern world.