France bans burka, now do it in England

Marym2

[quote user="Mr Wiggy"]What ever happened to the old addage,When in Rome do as the Romans do. [/quote]

I'm not sure if I could cope with all those orgies any more [:D]

This whole thing has turned into a religous/political argument when really, it boils down to the simple fact that western society has always relied on facial contact in all aspects of life. Our perception, right or wrong, is that anyone hiding their face creates a feeling of suspicion and mistrust.

Walk into a western bank wearing a balaclava and check out the reaction.

Full-face.  Most photo booths have a curtain, so no problem about being seen in public. If you need an interview for a passport, you have to have your face uncovered.  Reason I know all this?  I've just renewed my passport and it's all in the explanatory leaflet. [:)]

I'm guessing that when you get to passport control, there will be a procedure for the check to be done in private.

Not quite sure what all the fuss is about. Only a small minority of Muslim women in the West go about with their faces veiled.  To be honest I'd rather that than to have to see a lot of people (and not only women) going about with their skimpy clothing revealing what would be much better left covered. [:D]

I would still hazard a guess that it's a minority of all Muslim women in Britain and probably a small one.  It's just that burkas do stand out, so you notice them. The burka isn't universal wear in all Muslim countries by any means, and the same is true among Muslims in Western Europe.  I repeat, I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Addage? Wasn't that what we used before electronic calculators were invented?

As for "When in Rome....." we can adopt that as a rallying cry the day that all ex-pat Brits start adopting French customs.

A better general motto to live by is "never trust anyone who wants to ban anything".

Chrisb - 'never trust anyone who wants to ban anything...'

So obviously we all don't trust politicians - lying load of b-----s as far as I'm concerned.

But we're talking about Islam and the Burkha and the Hijab.

You do realise that the 'creed/cult' of Islam involves banning homosexuality, and destroying the Jews ?

How does that chime in with all the tolerant/liberal/do-gooding that is being pontificated about on this post ?

So by your lights then Chrisb - we 'shouldn't trust Islam'....

Oh dear - cabin fever again

Chessie

[quote user="Bugbear"]

This whole thing has turned into a religious/political argument when really, it boils down to the simple fact that western society has always relied on facial contact in all aspects of life. Our perception, right or wrong, is that anyone hiding their face creates a feeling of suspicion and mistrust.

[/quote]

Repeated so I can  rest my case [8-)]

[quote user="KathyF"]

To be honest I'd rather that than to have to see a lot of people (and not only women) going about with their skimpy clothing revealing what would be much better left covered. [:D]

[/quote]Here, here.  Let's ban shorts on men for a kick off. [+o(]  Unless you have the pysique of the average rugby player, best cover them up, chaps!

Interesting idea from my BiL who is a police sgt in Paris. "It would be much more sensible, to send all the people who have a problem with seeing little people dressed in black tents, to see a psychoanalyst, to get over their phobia, rather than arrest the object of their irritation."