Redevance d'archeologie preventive

Angie

Our planning application to build a pool is currently with our Mairie and he assures us it will be no problem. However, we have now received another 2 forms to complete, helpfully filled in by our local Tresorie, which gives a partial calculation for the above (albeit no final figure). Am I to assume by this that we are going to have to pay a fee for some sort of archaeological dig!!! There are links online but none seem to have up to date information or, in most case, open at all. Has anyone had experience of this term and will it involve huge additional expense as the Tresorie say they are not "able" to provide any further calculations and refer us back to the non-available web site. Thank you

This must be relatively recent as it didn't exist when we built a pool.

Looks like (roughly) you have to pay a sum based on the "valeur forfaitaire" of the thing you're building. For a pool, that "valeur forfaitaire" is €200 per m2 of the basin. The sum is 0.40% of the €200 per m2.

I can understand why nobody wants to give you a final figure though...trying to work it all out made my head hurt.

Here's a link to the service public site where you can find the details and see if you can make sense out if it.

https://www.service-public.fr/professionnels-entreprises/vosdroits/F22286

You need to look at the drop-down bit "calcul de La redevance"

Hopefully from this calculation the fee isn't too high; just had thoughts of Time Team turning up! We are only excavating down 60 cms so not sure what all the fuss is about but then again, if there's any chance of them getting a fee out of us then that's the only excuse they need I guess! Thank you

Better check you're not in an area where there might be some interest in the archaeology.

Our Mairie demolished some old buildings just down the street, in order to build new public facilities, and the archaeologists discovered ancient grain stores below them.

The investigations lasted several months whilst the remains were carefully excavated and mapped, before the work could continue.

One of my sons is an architect and the practice he works for has the contract to update Euston Station ready for HS2. The archeology there is pretty impressive and must be costing someone a fortune, there’s 60,000 bodies to me moved for a start.

https://hs2ineuston.commonplace.is/schemes/happening-now/archaeology-work-at-st-jamess-gardens/details

Yes, I saw that on the news last week, the site is huge and apparently all the bodies have to be reburied in consecrated ground. Crikey, hope our little plot doesn't attract as much interest; having said that, we do have an historical monument less than 500 metres away from our house!

Angie said : Crikey, hope our little plot doesn't attract as much interest; having said that, we do have an historical monument less than 500 metres away from our house!

Aha .. the magic words .. an historical monument less than 500m from our house.

That is why you have to have the archeological search .. just in case you have anything of historical interest in your garden that might have an association with the monument.

[quote user="suein56"]Angie said : Crikey, hope our little plot doesn't attract as much interest; having said that, we do have an historical monument less than 500 metres away from our house!

Aha .. the magic words .. an historical monument less than 500m from our house.

That is why you have to have the archeological search .. just in case you have anything of historical interest in your garden that might have an association with the monument.[/quote]

Fingers crossed, Angie.

Friends of ours in Boé, just S of Agen, had their roof blown away in a gale.

Their house was about 150 metres from a ruined medieval tower, and they waited, with a huge tarpaulin over the roof, for nearly a year before they got approval from ABF (Batiments de France) for repair work to begin.

Just received the following email from the Tresorie "La redevance d’archéologie préventive est comprise dans la taxe d’aménagement dès lors que les travaux affectent le sous-sol, ce qui est systématiquement le cas pour une piscine enterrée.

Il s’agit d’une redevance et il n’y aura pas de travaux d’archéologie." So it looks as though we might be in the clear!