Rough justice?

mint

Whilst I do not wish to defend the criminal act he was rightfully found guilty of I think it terrible that he was beaten up like that. I am sure the wardens thought it mildly amusing when they may have 'turned a blind eye', its just not on. It makes the prison system just as bad as those that commit crimes. Given his position within the police force he should have been segregated from the start and basically put in solitary confinement not just for his own safety but also so he can dwell on his own downfall and the fact he has let down both his colleagues and the public he was there to serve. Personally I think he got off to lightly. I think members of the police force (and the legal profession) who commit crimes should be made an example of  to discourage others who might contemplate doing something illegal in the future. It would also help to restore public confidence in the police and justice system.

I wasn't surprised to read that he'd been attacked - he should have been segregated from day one. I was surprised to read that he could be sacked within weeks; I'd imagined he'd been sacked already. Presumably until all appeals are over he'll still be on full pay! Incredible! Do you think he'll be made to pay back all such pay once all appeals are complete (supposing he'll still be in prison then); or is that cloud cuckoo land?

I get no satisfaction from the fact that this man being has been criminally attacked, because what ever he's done he doesn't deserve this treatment. I was under the impression that serving Police officers who were convicted of a crime and jailed were segregated, obviously I was wrong. I just hope that this incident is not the beginning of a successful appeal due to this person being discriminated against in prison. I would prefer that this man served his full sentence, and loses his pension and the privileges of being an ex police officer.

Sadly, the days when open prisons only had those guilty of minor non-violent offences are long gone.

If we believe in the law, we can't really be pleased about this. I'm as cross as anyone at the things this man got away with, but I'd like to show that we, the law-abiding majority, are better than he is.

Hoddy

Personally I find it hard to muster any sympathy for the man. It's clear that he was an arrogant bully (a bit like a certain PM, allegedly [Www]) and he's getting his comeuppance. I can do no better than quote that well know mantra, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Actually, if it was just a bucket of sh*t and a punch or two I think he could be said to have got off lightly, con's bearing grudges are not known for their compassion and mercy.