HMRC

Benjamin

Fishing to see if anyone else has a similar tale.

In November, on a trip to the UK, I completed my son's 2008/09 fairly straightforward tax return on line. At the end of the submission a message appeared saying something like "From the figures you have submitted you may be due a tax rebate of £XXX".

He tells me in an email today that he's just received a letter from HMRC dated 16 February telling him he's been fined £100 for non-submission.

He's got all the paperwork so I'm not sure what notes I made when I made the submission. We'll be talking over the weekend but I wondered if any other UK based posters have heard any similar stories?

[quote user="Benjamin"]Fishing to see if anyone else has a similar tale.

In November, on a trip to the UK, I completed my son's 2008/09 fairly straightforward tax return on line. At the end of the submission a message appeared saying something like "From the figures you have submitted you may be due a tax rebate of £XXX".

He tells me in an email today that he's just received a letter from HMRC dated 16 February telling him he's been fined £100 for non-submission.

He's got all the paperwork so I'm not sure what notes I made when I made the submission. We'll be talking over the weekend but I wondered if any other UK based posters have heard any similar stories?

[/quote]

This doesn't exactly equate to your query but the info that the penalty cannot exceed the tax due is interesting.

tax question

Sue

Very similar - I completed my tax return about July/August last year & sent it back by post.

Couple of weeks later I received a reminder and straight away I telephoned as I was concerned they had not received it - They told me they had received it a few days before and that I should ignore the reminder. A couple of weeks later I receive a letter thanking me for retuning the form and a seperate letter of the same date giving me the new tax calculation based upon the return.

Last week I get a £100 fine for not returning it!! - Needless to say an appeal has been lodged!!

My practice submits all client's SA100s and SA800s (Self-Employed, Schedule E and Partnerships) returns online.

And we always but always demand a receipt.

Since the introduction of the Self Assessment Regime in 1997, we have had many clients suffering Late Submission and No Submission penalties: despite the returns being filed prior to the January 31st (Electronic Filing) and September 30th (Paper Filing) deadlines. (We also receive a transaction receipt from our software supplier additionally).

Appeal.

[quote user="ViVienne"]online, after you get the calculation you have to scroll down and press submit otherwise you haven't sent it. You should then get confirmation of receipt[/quote]

Thanks for that; I can't remember off the top of my head but presumably I pressed the submit button to get the message about a possible refund.

Thanks to you others. An appeal it is then.  [:@]

We are pretty sure the calculation comes up before you press "submit".   In any case you get a submission receipt - which you should keep.

We too files all our client returns online and have continued to do our own.

Mrs H

Edit:  If the return (online) shows a refund is due it is received in days.  It is automatic - i.e. untouched by human hands !   If no refund has been received and you do not hold a "receipt" of transmission I would do the return again online.  It will soon say if it already has one.  There will be no late filing penalty if a refund is indeed due.