New rules in F1 have rendered it...............

Bugsy

The basic problem with F1 is that true innovation is discouraged and even banned if it threatens to give a quantum advantage to one team.

Motor racing should be a test of mechanical excellence and driver skill so tactics, such as fuel loads and and pit stop strategies etc, are a fudge and detract from the purity.

Today it is no more than a circus act and the performers like the manufactured pop stars or  the 80's.

If I had my way the only rules would be engine size and maximum limits on track and wheelbase, everything else would be free.

As for Schumacher's come back................................[+o(]

I am not sure if it is good or bad for mankind but because the drivers come from karting many are midgets.

F1 is marginally better than the armaments sector it does employ lots of people and my early retirement was financed by doing work for one major F1 company, plus other motorsport tech and associated companies.

Sadly the armament industry now use F1 companies for the high technology and produce things for killing machines. F1 also have hi-tech machines that the MOD have to OK.

[quote user="Iceni"]

I blame Schumacher, it's always boring when he participates.

John

[/quote]

So true, I gave up watching when he was driving, and never got back into it ... I gather today's efforts were like watching paint dry.

Never mind, at least France beat Ireland in the 6 nations (though I didn't see that one either, I saw those who were watching both , and they got more het up with the rugby than the F1.  Here, I am talking about French men and not English men, as there were none of them around where I was this afternoon......

[quote user="Dog"]

I am not sure if it is good or bad for mankind but because the drivers come from karting many are midgets.

F1 is marginally better than the armaments sector it does employ lots of people and my early retirement was financed by doing work for one major F1 company, plus other motorsport tech and associated companies.

Sadly the armament industry now use F1 companies for the high technology and produce things for killing machines. F1 also have hi-tech machines that the MOD have to OK.

[/quote]

Well MOD or not they have killed the sport!

I caught the end of the F1 yesterday having spent a couple of hours on election duty which was, on balance, much more interesting than the F1.

Overindulged, overadvertised, overpaid people commenting on other overpaid and overadvertised people driving a car round and round in complex patterns.

Boring beyond belief like all the Facebook sites about F1 and whose widget is bigger, smaller, slicker, more legal/illegal than the other company's.  

[quote user="Iceni"]

I blame Schumacher, it's always boring when he participates.

John

[/quote]

The culprits, John were really the FIA: when they gave in to the power lobby of the non-motor sport sponsors and the constructors.

At which point the Poison Dwarf stepped in and highjacked F 1 for his own venal purposes: rather as if say Kerry Packer, or Murdoch had taken over the organisation of football and it had become the province of News International as a commercial product.

What kept the sport (as it genuinely was) interesting and exciting, was the short-term changes to regulations: the original post-war ethos of Monopostos up to 4 1/2 L being used ('Cos there were was no real manufacturing capacity after the war) soon changed to a strict 2.5 L formula: perhaps the Golden Years, with classic types like the Maserati 250F etc.

And then, quickly after, to 1.5L. (Both 2.5L and 1.5L unblown, of course).

The change to 3L in 1966 created originally a very interesting period; as until the Cosworth DFV, the only options, pro tem, were to use old four pot Tasmin Series Climaxes stretched a tad: except of course Black Jack Brabham, with his Repco re-worked US Buick/Olds Ally lump. Brabham of course won the 1966 championship.

The Cosworth dominated era was fun too: as together with Hewland Transaxles it galvanised a whole tribe of kit cars: Surtees, McClaren, Ensign, Tyrell, March, Williams, Hesketh, Lola, etc. Arch or Grand prix Metalcraft made tubs for most teams and a number of firms made the glass bodies. And these teams could (And did!) give BRM, Lotus and Ferrari a run for their money.

Probably, the turbo era pressaged the change: as the cost rose enormously and factory teams became dominant.

Chapman pioneered non-motor trade sponsorship with his John Player deals: and thereafter the rot had set in; as constructors and sponsors whinged about potential formulae changes due to "Our investment so far". By now, F1 ought to have had a period of say 1L unblown, to force yet more technical developments and allow fresh, new teams into the hunt.

Once FISA became the FIA as we know it today (1993) that was it: a sport had become a business.

And now F1 is simply a commercial circus which is run purely and simply for the benefit of the sponsors, the Poison Dwarf and the very few top teams.

Boring boring boring.

And absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the genuine sport, of which my late father passed on his love to myself, right back from the mid 1950s.

I don't know what was more boring, watching the Grand Prix or England v Scotland in the Six Nations. I fell asleep during both, with the Grand Prix they were in all the same places when I woke up and with England v Scotland I feel asleep just as they tried to set up a scrum and when I woke up they were still trying to set up the same scrum. I am thinking of taking up watching tiddly winks and conkers, more action and a lot more thrills. [:D]

When I take over the world the first changes I would make to F1 would be

1. No more hi-tech links between car/driver and pits, just the good old fashioned pit board and the drivers' abilioties to know what is going on around him

2. Fuel tanks to be sealed before practice thus those who hope to get into the top 10 have to carry enough fuel to get through 3 rounds of qualifying and the race itself. This could give a weight advantage to Lotus, Hispania and the Morris 8 teams and we may get a few more surprises on a Saturday.

I may make a few changes to other areas but this will do for a start.

John

Indeed, John.

The cars could take on no extra fuel or oil or water, of course in the good old 1.5L days.

And the Climax V8 was a notorious oil eater!

Also agree about all the telemetry and telematics.

I caught site of this in the London free comic AKA called Celeb Daily......

See here:

In the paper itself they carried a diagram naming all the pit crew members and their function.

A ridiculous number of personnel!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Indeed, John.

The cars could take on no extra fuel or oil or water, of course in the good old 1.5L days.

And the Climax V8 was a notorious oil eater!

Also agree about all the telemetry and telematics.

I caught site of this in the London free comic AKA called Celeb Daily......

See here:

In the paper itself they carried a diagram naming all the pit crew members and their function.

A ridiculous number of personnel!

[/quote]

Indy from memory only allow 8 pit crew so it's marginally more interesting and less dangerous with fewer people on the pit lane. I reckon it should be only two men one under seven stone and the other over 30 stone smoking a cigar. They could dress as Oliver & Hardy - alternatively they could have 8 blonde dolly brolley girls.

The first grand prix of the 2010 season promised so much, with the duel between Hamilton and Button and the Schumacher comeback being the anticipated highlights, along with the rule changes. Sadly, it was rather dull I thought.

But I have a couple of changes that I think could liven things up.

Rule change 1. At midway have the cars come into the pits for a driver change. Wives/girlfriends have to drive for 5 laps before handing over the controls again. This change would have to take a couple of laps because the teams can only handle one of their 2 cars at a time.  Imagine the first lap once the main drivers take over again, when they have to adjust the mirrors and seat.

Rule change 2. Teams are able to make contact with all cars through the radios. At some time during the race they can play annoying music to one rival car of their choice.