Remember the 1970s?

Edward Trunk

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]There was a programme on telly last night featuring a family who had to live a 1970s lifestyle. No microwaves, no mobile phones, no Ipods, no satellite TV...the horror of it all. I survived the 70s, but I am wondering now how I managed...[/quote]

I'll tell you how most people managed Edward, they were too busy working to bring up a family etc. to worry about the materialistic things in life. Remember this wasn't the era of the 120% mortgage and unlimited credit. And although  these days unfortunately I'm not one of them, there are still people out there who do without these icons of the marketing world.

[quote user="Edward Trunk"]There was a programme on telly last night featuring a family who had to live a 1970s lifestyle. No microwaves, no mobile phones, no Ipods, no satellite TV...the horror of it all. I survived the 70s, but I am wondering now how I managed...[/quote]

Try the 40's - outside toilet, we had a bath but the only washbasin was the kitchen sink. One radio, no tv never mind satellite. Next door neighbour had a phone. didn't see my Dad between 1942 and 1945.  I think the 70's were luxurious. [:)]

Eh! Weren't life grand!

We cooked properly: real food. Even during the 3 day week on an old oil stove or the top of our old coke burning stove!

Wrote letters, correctly, with careful punctuation, capitalisation and and decent grammar.

Music came from the radio or disks: and then 8 track players and after those cassettes. or we made it ourselves.

If we went occasionally to a dance: then they were live groups; not some babbling buffon playing records at five times the correct volume!

TV was mainly black and white: and worth watching much of the time. Particularly when BBC Two launched in 625 line definition! Now that was really living!

And  later in the decade, my journey to the City (1 hour) was accomplished without the need to irritate all the other passengers with loud tst tst tst thud thud thud noises from Walkmen then MP3 players, or prattling endlessly about nothing on toy phones: and people managed to survive this awesome journey of privation without carrying take-away coffee, fruit juice, Red Bull, water bottles and banging down instant  pretend baguettes, burgers, pastries and the like: and girlies did their hair and make-up before they left home.

Prior to that from the year I married in 1964, I was far too damned busy working and building up my business to be overconcerned with anything much other than a modicum of sleep: the odd weeks holiday: and eating!

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Eh! Weren't life grand!

We cooked properly: real food. Even during the 3 day week on an old oil stove or the top of our old coke burning stove!

Wrote letters, correctly, with careful punctuation, capitalisation and and decent grammar.

Music came from the radio or disks: and then 8 track players and after those cassettes. or we made it ourselves.

If we went occasionally to a dance: then they were live groups; not some babbling buffon playing records at five times the correct volume!

TV was mainly black and white: and worth watching much of the time. Particularly when BBC Two launched in 625 line definition! Now that was really living!

And  later in the decade, my journey to the City (1 hour) was accomplished without the need to irritate all the other passengers with loud tst tst tst thud thud thud noises from Walkmen then MP3 players, or prattling endlessly about nothing on toy phones: and people managed to survive this awesome journey of privation without carrying take-away coffee, fruit juice, Red Bull, water bottles and banging down instant  pretend baguettes, burgers, pastries and the like: and girlies did their hair and make-up before they left home.

Prior to that from the year I married in 1964, I was far too damned busy working and building up my business to be overconcerned with anything much other than a modicum of sleep: the odd weeks holiday: and eating!

[/quote]

Lol things have changed then...

Dang I thought I was doing OK but it seems the wifelet has a microwave and we have a satellite TV.

I have never had a mobile telephonic device or an Ipod.

Mind you I do have a wood oven and a CZ.

Subject: Bring back any memories?

Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite

'fast food' when you were growing up?'

'We

didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.

'All

the food was slow.'

'C'mon, seriously.. Where did you eat?'

'It

was a place called 'home,'' I explained. !

'Mum cooked every day and

when Dad got home from work, we sat down together at the dining room

table, and if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to

sit there until I did like it.'

By

this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to

suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I

had to have permission to leave the table.

But

here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if

I'd figured his system could have handled

it:

Some parents NEVER owned

their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of

the country or had a credit card.

My

parents never drove me to school. I had a bicycle that weighed probably

50 pounds, and only had one speed, (slow).

We

didn't have a television in our house until I was 10.

It was, of

course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 pm,

after playing the national

anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 6 a.m. and there

was usually a locally produced news and farm show on, featuring local

people...

I

never had a telephone in my room. The only phone was on a party line.

Before you could dial, you had to listen and make sure some people you

didn't know weren't already using the line.

Pizzas

were not delivered to our home... But milk was.

All

newspapers were

delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers
--My brother delivered a newspaper, seven days a

week.  He had to get up at
6AM every

morning.

Film

stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films.

There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced

for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost

anything offensive.

If you

grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to

share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just

don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.

Growing

up isn't what it used to be, is it?

MEMORIES

from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother'

s house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal

Crown Cola bottle.   In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of

holes in it...    I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no

idea.   She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or

something.   I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the

ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam

irons.   Man, I am old.

How many

do you remember?

Headlight

dip-switches on the floor of the car.

Ignition

switches on the dashboard.

Trouser leg clips for

bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you

heated on a gas burner.

Using hand

signals for cars

without turn indicators.

>

Older

Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember,

not the ones you were told about.

Ratings at the bottom.

Sweet cigarettes

2. Coffee shops with juke boxes

3. Home milk delivery

in glass bottles

4. Party lines on the telephone

5. Newsreels before the movie

6. TV test patterns that came on at

night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in

the morning.. (There were only 2 channels

[if you were fortunate]
)

Peashooters

8. 33 rpm records

9. 45 RPM records

RPM records

11. Hi-fi's

12. Metal ice trays with

levers

13. Blue

flashbulb

14. Cork popguns

15. Wash

tub wringers

If

you remembered 0-3 = You’re still young

If you remembered 3-6 = You

are getting older

If you remembered 7-11 = Don't tell your age

If

you remembered 12-15 = You're positively ancient!

I

must be

'positively ancient' but those memories are some of the best parts of

my life.

Don't forget to pass this along!!

Especially to all

your really
OLD

friends... I just did!!!!!!!!!

(PS.

I used a large type face so you could read it easily)

Blimey how do you follow that!

Anyone remember Avadne Price, headscarf complete with dangly coins, she was only visible from the waist up as she stared at you from her desk? She came on around 11:30pm each night and read the stars telling your fortune for the following day and she always ended her slot with 'and remember, think lucky and you will be lucky'. I grew up wanting to be the next Avadne!

Chris

[quote user="just john "]I'd got rid of my C15 after I got tired of the oil on my trousers, getting wet and discovering girls in cars were more fun[:)][/quote]

My girl didn't think an MG TC with no side screens was fun in the rain, but she married me anyway.[:D]

Reminds me Steve: much earlier era (60s actually) an acquaintance had an early 1930s MG Midget (Which even had a JCC- Junior Car Club - badge on the front! How much is that now worth??)

He had his face slapped on a number of occasions: 'cos as one applied the -cable - footbrake, the fly off handbrake went up and down in sympathy.

And since it was the passenger side of the transmission tunnel.....................

[:D]

[quote user="just john "]

The oddest thing I remember about the 70's was listening to Bobby Womack on a record player installed under the dash of a Buick Electra driving along, no eight tracks for us!

[/quote]

Anyone remember the advert for I think Bisto where a young Tony Blackburn was driving home to his roast dinner and popped a 45 single into a record player under his dash?

It was considered the height of cool at the time and my dad worked for a company in the group that made them (British manufactured bearings) I saved like mad and never stopped pestering him to try and get me one at staff discount, finally I was the proud owner of a very heavy and large BMB Boléro in car record player (which needed some serious metal fabrication to support it) just in time for the advent of 8 track to render it uncool [:'(]

By the time I had switched to 8 track and got back in the groove K7's had once again rendered me uncool.

The same thing happened when I got a bank loan to buy one of the first Betamax video recorders.

As a consequence of all this adolescent trauma I have never bought a Cd player, DVD player, portable computer I-phone, Blackberry, games console etc, I am sure that there are loads of others that I have missed out but not missed out on, if you get my drift, I no longer even use a mobile phone.