Going back

Belle

We have only just got our final signing day ADV which is July 6th, so we are unable to give a months notice on all suppliers, does it really matter, I'm thinking mainly of france telecom phone and computer, and edf, what do we need to do with regards to our computer, we are with orange. Thanks alot.

The easiest way with FT and Orange is to just go into the shop with your equipment, tell them you're cancelling, hand over the equipment, and make sure you get paperwork saying they've received it and away you go.

I did it the "proper" way, but my friends did it the way I just described and their way was easier with the same result. I really don't think they care anymore, which is good.

With edf, take a reading of your meter, phone them up with it and tell them you're leaving and they'll send you a bill or refund (within a month).

I told them all what date to stop the services and I cancelled all direct debits to them beforehand and they complied. Even got some money back too which was nice.

Thankyou so much. the easier way is the way we will go, just one other thing please, how long does it take for France Telecom to cut off the line, I don't want to be paying for our buyers calls. Thankyou again.

It took them about 3 weeks to cut my line off I think, but I hadn't specified a date with them. They could do it pretty quick I'd imagine. Just tell them the date you want everything to cease on and it's their problem from then on.

Don't forget to cancel any direct debits with your bank at the same time though. Put yourself in control of any payments that may be outstanding.

I had no problems cancelling utilities  etc when I returned to the U.K. In fact they were all very helpful, apart from 'ex-pat', who provided cheaper phone bills, when an internet alternative was not available. I genuinely forgot that there was a subscription to them. They took  95 euros from my bank account, because I had not notified them. They were not interested in my explanations for my oversight.

Best to go through all accounts to make sure you haven't forgotten one.