Windows 7 Help

powerdesal

I am running Win 7 on the new laptop, It came that way even though I would have preferred XP or even Vista.

The problem is the screen randomly changes the font size, ie the zoom percentage, even when I am not doing anything, its happened 3 times whilst typing this. (correction now 4 times). It doesn't seem to matter which browser, IE or Chrome, same thing. Some evenings it's ok others its a rapid fire change situation.  Any ideas on what I can do about it ????????????????????//

Its selected to auto update but there seems to be at least 8 each time I shutdown.

I have just restarted the computer because it was bouncing between very little text and ginormous text at about 2 sec intervals. Its rapidly becoming a real pain in the wotsit.

How do I force an XP emulation? At least XP works.

Could I have a virus ???? running AVG as normal.

[quote user="powerdesal"]

I am running Win 7 on the new laptop, It came that way even though I would have preferred XP or even Vista.

[/quote]

Windows 7 is far superior to XP. If you have a Toshiba laptop the problem will be the "pinch" facility. Info on the Toshiba forum HERE

Hi Steve, I have the identical model to you and do not experience those problems. I find win 7 much better than XP. Sometimes 32 bit versions of software work better than 64 bit but I think that is an application problem.

Hi, just to add - I found the problem was me running my mouse etc., over the right hand bottom corner and clicking accidently where the magnifier pic is - I kept puzzling over it and discovered it was actually me, not realising how sensitive the system is. Windows 7 great though!

[quote user="Jimmy"][quote user="powerdesal"]

[/quote]

Windows 7 is far superior to XP. If you have a Toshiba laptop the problem will be the "pinch" facility. Info on the Toshiba forum HERE

[/quote]

I THINK the Acer also has the same pinch facility. I suspect you will have to right-click the Synaptics Pointing Device icon and

select Pointing Device Properties then disable pinch. Otherwise you will just have to learn to use the zoom facility properly.

I think you will find most people using win 7 are really happy with it. XP was good but Vista should have been scrapped rather than released it had so many bugs!

[quote user="powerdesal"]Your opinion of Win 7 is interesting, I havn't come across anyone who agrees with it though.[/quote]Well you have now, me [:D]

Whilst XP has been a long faithful comfortable friend and I was reluctant to make the move but I'm very glad I did now and won't go back. It runs extremely well on both my PC and Netbook.

As for Vista, IMO it's complete dog and I can't find one single word to say in it's favour.

Théière's emulation mode doesn't turn 7 into XP, it simply allows legacy programmes to run by fooling them into thinking 7 is XP. I can't see what it would do for your text problem or dislike of the OS.

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="powerdesal"]Your opinion of Win 7 is interesting, I havn't come across anyone who agrees with it though.[/quote]Well you have now, me [:D]

[/quote]

And me [:D] I like it and haven't to date needed the XP emulation so did not know much about it [:$] 

XP Mode comes as standard on the 32/64 bit DVD of Ultimate. It can slow your machine down if it is under spec, you should check the system requirements before installing.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/business/windows-7-system-requirements.aspx (Its down the bottom of the page)

Having said that I have installed programs written for XP and Vista with no problems. The most normal problem that XP users have is that Vista and W7 uses Libraries which can be a bit off putting til you get use to them and some older software does have problems with them.

Just to add we have a machine running Vista Ultimate and it works OK, some things do work better under Vista than W7. There is also very little 64 bit software around unless it's Microsoft. Some software says it runs in 64 bit which is true but it actually installs as 32 bit (AVG is an example).

In the case of the OP I don't think running in XP mode is the answer to his problem, I believe its the laptop that is causing the problem as already described by others. If I were him I would try contacting Acer Tech Support.

[quote user="Théière"]

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="powerdesal"]Your opinion of Win 7 is interesting, I havn't come across anyone who agrees with it though.[/quote]Well you have now, me [:D]

[/quote]

And me [:D] I like it and haven't to date needed the XP emulation so did not know much about it [:$] 

[/quote]I have very mixed feelings about 7.  I like a lot about the way it works but it has so many compatibility issues with software that I am used to using, that it costs me a fortune in terms of time, money and the utter frustration of getting things to work that I have been using for years.  The fact that it won't work with Outlook Express is a major annoyance as I have still been unable to transfer across all my e-mail and address history from my old pc, hence I'm running both still which is totally daft in terms of space etc.  In spite of downloading all sorts of patches and asking questions on fora and of Microsoft, nothing has worked thus far.  I spent a lot of money on my version of Office (XP Pro) and I resent the fact that it doesn't function properly any more.

[quote user="cooperlola"] I spent a lot of money on my version of Office (XP Pro) and I resent the fact that it doesn't function properly any more.[/quote]

I don't understand why your version of Office doesn't work with 7. I am using my old Office suit with windows 7, no problems at all. Your address book from Outlook Express can be imported into Office Outlook which is far superior to OE anyway.

The only problem I've had is with my Asterix program from Eurotalk, yeh, ok, it's a 1995 version, but is has worked throughout the years, but Windows 7 has stymied it. Eurotalk can't help 'cos they don't have the licence anymore. Pity 'cos it's a good French language program - learning French through a comic book format.

Basically you can run any program or install any program in compatibility mode from Windows 95 onwards. Rather than type out all the instructions I found the following link.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

I have used this method to install my booking software for my B&B which was a bit of a pain initially but worked OK using compatibility mode. Don't forget to run it as Administrator.

Coops, I have Office XP pro (basically 2002) installed on Win 7 and it all works flawlessly, what problems are you having.

I have to say too that I have yet to find any software which has refused to install, neither have I had to resort to compatibility mode. Again which programme or programmes are you having trouble with.

Where do you want to transfer or import your OE mail etc to ?