Labour is bust

woolybanana

They've been bust for years and it's only the trade unions which have kept them afloat.

What always amazes me is that when you look at their accounts, they are technically bankrupt and have been for years, it just amazes me how they've been so lucky in trading when none of their creditors have called their debts in.

Tony F wrote:

They've been bust for years and it's only the trade unions which have kept them afloat.

Probably true Tony, but at least the union members lived in the UK and paid UK taxes, more than can be said for the Old Etonian party subscribers [Www]

[quote user="Russethouse"]
 Probably true, but for many years Union members had no choice but to contribute to the Labour party  through the political levy......
[/quote]

Your statement is not true  political contributions were voluntary, I didn't pay them through choice.

In the early 80's at British Airways had a 'closed shop', well it didn't really because such a thing would be illegal. At interview they (British Airways) asked you to join the union, if you said you were not interested it was 'suggested' that it was in your best interests to join, if you didn't then they wouldn't offer you the job. On joining the union you would be asked if you wanted to make an additional payment to the Labour Party via a levy but it was not compulsory and many didn't.