Ladies may wear purple if they wish and I will wear........ (a Dick Smith moment)

woolybanana

Apart from the fact that they look seriously naf (and yes, Oh Wooly Fruit, you are of course entitled to look as daft as you wish to), I have always thought that it's quite dangerous as your feet slide about too much in sandles when worn with socks.   Still, nothing like as awful looking as skinny 'orrible legs in baggy shorts (of either sex, but especially on men, whose legs are rarely their best bits!)

But my lovely Pooks, I have reached the point where I dont give a flying tart whether I look naff or not; and my legs, I am reliably informed, are rather good, as a result of years of rugby training and playing, unlike so many modern youngsters who seems sadly underdeveloped!

Besides, I need to take care of my feet, not allow hidden rubbing etc. They are busted in more than one way.

There is , of course, the argument that not wearing socks increases the chances of fungal disease of the toes in particular. I used to know a retied naval officer who always wore socks with sandals but he wore knee high white ones and actually looked quite smart.

Well with a fine pair of legs you should show 'em off and not distract from them by wearing socks with sandals!

I remember going to Val d'Isere one winter and the most horrible, vile and dangerous man, sadly who was in the same group as us had sandals and socks on, and we had had 2 metres of snow. I have despised sandals and socks since.

However, I do understand the romans wearing them. Hadrian's Wall is a strange bit of England, the weather tends to be 'worse' there than in the surrounding areas somehow , and I'm sure that the french would call it something like 'terre froide' or 'terre sauvage'. When we have visited the rain has usually been hard and almost horizontal and we reckoned that those dinky little leather skirts the romans were so fond of would have had woolen leggings and socks beneath otherwise they would have had chill blains on all extremities!!

Ah Pooks, you have touched upon a sore subject there. There has been an acrimonious debate amongst us Bananas for centuries as to whether we should be covered in public or left exposed. Some folk prefer to see the whole of us in all our glory whilst others prefer a sort of cache-tip effort; personally, I just let myself hang out in the breeze where I does tend to waggle about a bit now I am older and can get quite cold, but I soon respond to a nice rub from a passing stranger! What I couldn't stand would be to wear a sort of plastic bag, as you often see with new Bananas from the Caribbean and other such places as it makes Bananas sweat and get terrible rubbing sores in the wrong places.[6]