Rejoneo.

pachapapa

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="pachapapa"]  Extremadura TV will be featuring the art of fighting bulls on horseback. Tuesday night at 10 P.M. a broadcast in direct by satellite as part of the Martes Mayor en Plascencia celebration.  [/quote]

Art? Bullfighting may be many things but never thought of it as art, wonder if that's how the bulls and horses see it?

I don't mind them fighting bulls providing they do what the bulls do i.e. just use there own body to defend or attack. I guess if you take away the swords, stabbing instruments (I'm sure they have a proper name) and the guys on the side ready to rescue the bull fighter you might not get so many people ready to 'have a go'. Fortunately Catalonia had the 'balls' to ban this dreadful 'sport', if that's what you can call it.

Let us not forget the unfortunate bulls have their horns filed down so they are not sharp and very sensitive so it hurts if they touch anything with them.

If the bulls won 99.9% of the time would anyone watch?

I'd say 5 to 1 except I can't vote against Pacha.  Well, you don't turn against someone when they have spent time and effort helping you, do you?[:D]

And you turn a blind eye to any defects they might have such as liking bull fights![:$]

Parhaps as well not to have watched; the first bull was reluctant to participate and seemed distracted by the lights. Always a problem with gala corridas under flood lights. The first bull did at one stage provoke a smile as it showed particular interest in a group of tourists in the front rows of the tendidos; the bull's interest was increased by the cowardly retreat of these persons away from the bull. Presumably the bull ring authorities had requested them to remove their orange shirts before entering the arena. The portuguese with the second bull was awarded two ears and the same with the fifth. But the evening was made worthwhile with the last bull when the young rejoneador was awarded two ears and the tail; the killing of the bull was clinical without having to dismount.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Sorry, are you just trying to wind people up now giving reports on how these people killed the bulls and how they were rewarded for it?  Shame on you and on the other people who think of such things as sport.[/quote]

Took the words out of my mouth and beat me to it. Perhaps its better to ask a direct question, do you pachapapa, approve or disapprove of bull fighting and are you deliberately trying to wind people up?

[quote user="Quillan"]

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Sorry, are you just trying to wind people up now giving reports on how these people killed the bulls and how they were rewarded for it?  Shame on you and on the other people who think of such things as sport.[/quote]

Took the words out of my mouth and beat me to it. Perhaps its better to ask a direct question, do you pachapapa, approve or disapprove of bull fighting and are you deliberately trying to wind people up?

[/quote]

The first bullfight which I attended was at the Las Ventas arena in Madrid during the San Isidro Festival. I think the year was 1964 but it could have been 1965. Shortly afterwards I moved north near Burgos to participate in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly" where I met Clint Eastwood, nice bloke also a bull fight fan. Then further north again to Pamplona for the running of the bulls and the Festival of San Fermin.

I returned to bull fighting later in the 60's whilst working as a tour guide for Cosmos and Lunn Poly at Estartit on the costa Brava, when every Sunday I took two fully booked coaches with UK tourists down the coast to the bull fight at St Feliu de Guixols. On the trip down I split my time between the two coaches in order to give an introduction to the art of bull fighting; on the way back a similar division of labour with a critical review of the relative performances of the torreros and toros during the afternoon. I found most of the visitors appreciative of having the oppurtunity to learn just a little about bull fighting and intending to extend their experience during future holidays.

But you're very carfully not answering the questions and regardless of all your history with bullfighting, you surely realise that you are really annoying people here almost glorifying this barbaric activity - I wont even dignify it by calling it a sport, and that's obvious by the reaction you've had to your posts.

After over 1100 posts pachapapa, it may be an idea to put your location on your profile too!

[quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

Well I would. There is nothing more I would enjoy than to see these gutless Spanish ( and that old English guy who is always on the news when this subject is mentioned)  bullfighters killed by the bulls.

Sport is when competing opponents have an equal chance, so how this can be called "sport" I fail to see.

Is it really more annoying than fishing, foxhunting, game shooting and all the other blood sports?

I find bull 'fighting' - taunting, baiting and killing horrific as it is such a one sided bloodsport and the human participants are so COWardly.

Quite why anyone would want to watch such a peverse spectacle is beyond me.

[quote user="ebaynut"]

Sport is when competing opponents have an equal chance, so how this can be called "sport" I fail to see.

[/quote]

No Ebaynut, it's not a sport, it's an art didn't you know.  The art of showing what humans are capable of and even without dismounting.

Accompanying coach loads of Brits to bull fights.  Can't think of anything more nauseating !   [:D]   Olé !

[quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

Well I would. There is nothing more I would enjoy than to see these gutless Spanish ( and that old English guy who is always on the news when this subject is mentioned)  bullfighters killed by the bulls.

[/quote]

I can identify with that but for the rare occasions when the bull gets the upper hand you would have to see all the others, plus the bull would still be killed.

My absolute favorite is to watch the compilation shows of video footage of teenagers on skateboards eating the pavement or thwacking a handrail with their family jewels.

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="ebaynut"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can identify with that but for the rare occasions when the bull gets the upper hand you would have to see all the others, plus the bull would still be killed.

[/quote]

The question Dog asked was "if the bull won 99.9% of the time would you watch". I would only have interest in watching if it was  bull "fighters" getting killed, hopefully a long drawn out death. [;-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

In the 80's used to go most years on the 15th august to the festivities at Casabindo. The bulls can be very dangerous particularly after aguardiente.

A friend was gored one year and seriously injured, the bull got him against the wall and we literally had to drag the animal off by it's tail and back legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWr4urBOCI

[/quote]

Oh great, so this is a wind-up then but I'm afraid I can't see the funny side of it.  I agree with Dog, it's no better or worse than all the other so called sports which involve humans killing animals for sport.

Please pachapapa, when you go to watch badger baiting or dog fighting, spare us the details, bull fighting is bad enough!

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"][quote user="pachapapa"]

In the 80's used to go most years on the 15th august to the festivities at Casabindo. The bulls can be very dangerous particularly after aguardiente.

A friend was gored one year and seriously injured, the bull got him against the wall and we literally had to drag the animal off by it's tail and back legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNWr4urBOCI

[/quote]

Oh great, so this is a wind-up then but I'm afraid I can't see the funny side of it.  I agree with Dog, it's no better or worse than all the other so called sports which involve humans killing animals for sport.

Please pachapapa, when you go to watch badger baiting or dog fighting, spare us the details, bull fighting is bad enough!

[/quote]

I get the impression that your manifest hatred towards me is perhaps clouding your capacity for rational analytical reasoning.

The reason that I make this observation is that my post which you see fit to quote concerns the only ritual involving bulls still observrd in the Republic of Argentina, There is NO BULLFIGHTING in the country at all. The Festivity in Casabindo is principally a religious ceremony with dogma adopted from both the Roman Catholic and indigenous aymaran cultures. The mass takes place in the morning followed by lunch. In the afternoon the local indigenous people and any tourists brave enough can participate, the participants have no weapons or implements nor protective clothing, just a small piece of red cloth to attract the attention of the bull. When the bull enters the walled recinct next to the church a " Vincha" is strung between it's horns it contains small pockets containing silver coins. The encounter with the bull has two principal purposes, an expression of courage as a tribute to the Virgen of the Asuncion, patron saint of the locality and the more difficult possibility of recovering one or more silver coins which are then donated to the Virgen. The bulls are not harmed or injured and of course are not killed. Indeed if they do a good job in the encounter they are likely to be selected again the following year.

May I repeat I am surprised that a simple harmless native indian activity should be subjected to such bigotry and hatred.

Well I enjoyed the video clip, and will put it on my list of things to do and see for the next time I travel in Latin America.

If bullfighting in Spain was conducted in this manner I am sure that there would not be the widespread hatred and condamnation apart from perhaps the extremists that knit their own yoghurt.

Sorry pachapapa but I think you meant to mislead but that aside I didn't like the video much, it seemed pointless. Hurting something is not just a physical thing its also a mental thing as well and in the context of your comments I don't find this at all clever. As far as your comments goes on this thread and your refusal to answer a straight question earlier on gives the impression, not just to me, that your a candle short of a full box. I also think you crave attention as many of your more recent posts in other threads has shown. If I am wrong then I appologise but I don't think so.

Sorry pachapapa, you got it all wrong but deliberately so I think.  I don't feel any hatred for you at all, I do have hatred for any form of 'sport' that involves animals and your postings on this issue are, as Quillan said, just bizarre and you seem wholly unable to give a proper answer or response, just make bizarre comments which seem intent on annoying people even further. 

[quote user="Dog"]

Let us not forget the unfortunate bulls have their horns filed down so they are not sharp and very sensitive so it hurts if they touch anything with them.

[/quote]

Not in fact correct there is NO tampering with horns and this is strictly controlled by the National Authorities in countries where Tauromaquia is practised.

The only exception to this that I am aware of in Spain is the practice of tampering with the horns and in particular the shortening and concomitant blunting of the horns.

This practice is particularly prevalent in the Basque Provinces of Spain where stupid juveniles show off by leap-frogging the bulls. The reason the horns are filed down is to reduce the chance of injury to the participants; it is also in all probability an expression of a lack of guts and courage.

As a bull grows it adjusts its defensive behaviour to the length and dimensions of its horns becoming with practice very adept; if the horns are interfered with then the animal looses its concept as to the position of the tips of its horns.

That may seem to you inconsequential but let me give you a simple example; in Central Africa duikers are often kept in the gardens of  farmsteads they quickly become skilled at the use of their tiny little horns and soon whack a ground nut thrown in the air towards them.

[quote user="Tony F Dordogne"]Sorry pachapapa, you got it all wrong but deliberately so I think.  I don't feel any hatred for you at all, I do have hatred for any form of 'sport' that involves animals and your postings on this issue are, as Quillan said, just bizarre and you seem wholly unable to give a proper answer or response, just make bizarre comments which seem intent on annoying people even further. [/quote]

Quite to the contrary whilst bull fighting is not an illegal activity in the European Union; badger baiting and dog fighting most certainly ARE.

I find your sentence quoted below particularly offensive:

Quote: 

End Quote:

Your explicit defamation of my person and character is duly noted.

A very Good Morning to you, Sir.