Is the nature of the forum changing?

woolybanana

I have been a member of this forum for over 15 years (I remember Mazan, the wonderful Saligo Bay, that TeamedUp/Idun's first name begins with P and the reason she - justifiably - seeks anonymity) and - frankly - it all seems to go in cycles. I think that at the moment the forum is rather cliquish, but it has been before and it will eventually recover. What is (mercifully) absent at present is the glut of Fluffy France postings.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="powerdesal"] I find less points of interest hence don't post very much, although I occasionally read the various threads. It appears to be more ''cliquish'' (sp) than it used to be, at times almost seeming to be a 'private' forum for a limited number of members, however I could be wrong. In short, its become boring (IMHO).[/quote]

I've been a member here for about 10 years, always used the same name but been through three of four upgrades of the system.  I agree with powerdesal, far too many threads being hijacked for all the faux flirting and nonsense, if users want to do that, send each other private messages but leave what are often quite interesting threads alone.

Can't see the point of posting when the thread just drifts away into sillyness.

I don't mind thread drift; that's the way discussions develop, but it's really irritating to click on what was an interesting topic, only to find that it's 'I've sent you a PM -have you read it?'

Do I care? No. Is it any relevance to anyone else? No.

Send PMs by all means, but please don't find the necessity to tell everyone!

Most threads get hijacked when they have run their course and have started to go to seed, so to speak, but not when they are in their full flush.

It is however difficult to discuss serious topics relating to France as either we dont always have the knowledge (such as the pensions issue) or the interest. Let us remember what type of community we are.

PD, you have been missed, at least by me. Why did you give up on retirement so quickly; are you as bored as I was and am?

[quote user="Pommier"]…it's really irritating to click on what was an interesting topic, only to find that it's 'I've sent you a PM  -  have you read it?'

Do I care?   No.

Is it any relevance to anyone else?   No.

Send PMs by all means, but please don't find the necessity to tell everyone![/quote]

Congratulations  -  one of the best posts ever.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

PD, you have been missed, at least by me. Why did you give up on retirement so quickly; are you as bored as I was and am?

[/quote]

Retirement lasted 4 days !

Not bored (well I am at this moment - in a hotel during Eid Al Fitr holiday week end) but to quote a friend ''It’s the contractor drugs that have gotten you…its called money, and at certain times its for old rope!''

In the current financial situation I need an income to compensate for the continual decrease in the value of investments.

It is quite nice to be 'head hunted' though.