Property purchase: which country?

woolybanana

Silly question perhaps that was put to me but I wonder if anyone has a balanced answer?

If you were looking to invest say €100,000 or say £100,000  in a property for rental income and value growth, would you choose UK or France, under today's conditions?

I have no clear answer myself as I can see maybe advantages and disadvantages to both.

If you can, choose Australia.

The law is geared towards the landlords plus the growth is excellent too. Downside to it is the CGT when you sell, it's 29% unless you live in the country.

However, I believe the exchange rate is a bit crappy at present.

But out of the two you mentioned, I think I'd go for the UK. In my opinion, house prices take eons to move in France.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Silly question perhaps that was put to me but I wonder if anyone has a balanced answer?

If you were looking to invest say €100,000 or say £100,000  in a property for rental income and value growth, would you choose UK or France, under today's conditions?

I have no clear answer myself as I can see maybe advantages and disadvantages to both.

[/quote]

Neither, I would look at Spain. There are loads of properties that are for sale especially repossession and very low prices with 5 minutes walk from the beach and rental values are quite good. Renting out for the summer would mean all your bills would be paid to allow you to live there in the winter 'for nothing'. It's warmer and cheaper to live there in the winter.

Depends where you live I would think.  If you live in France then buying to let there makes more sense, you are closer to keep an eye on your investment.  Then there is the question of maintenance, if your tenants have a problem in another country you are at the mercy of a trades man for what could be an easy DIY job.  I would think maintaining a rental property in another country could be costly.

[quote user="Cathy"]Capital appreciation will be greater in the UK because of the restrictions on supply of houses from British planning laws.

[/quote]That was my instinctive reaction, Cathy.

Tell me, even given the credit crunch, are there many places in the UK where one could buy a viable property to rent out, for £100k?

But you wouldn't need to if you inherited.

Until the UK addresses this injustice which favorises the incompetent, idle idiots who have no reason to have a living wage except for the unearned income inherited from preceding generations of thieves the UK will continue to fail.

[quote user="woolybanana"]Get off the botl Normie and off you stoopid high horse. The State is theft as are the good for nothings who look to it for their money whether as a pseudo job or just a handout. Only those in real need have rights.[/quote]No, Wooly, "Property is theft" (I think it was a Frenchman who first said that, not Diogenes- stop trying to wind the old barrel-dweller up, you naughty old fruit!)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

[quote user="Cathy"]Capital appreciation will be greater in the UK because of the restrictions on supply of houses from British planning laws.

Tell me, even given the credit crunch, are there many places in the UK where one could buy a viable property to rent out, for £100k?

[/quote]

Yes, there are houses advertised for as little as £75k in my area in areas with high rentals, these are very interesting to me but the maintenance costs would just be too much for us when we make the move over to France next year.  One worrying thing for land lords in the UK is the out flux of migrant workers flocking back to Poland and leaving their rented houses empty.

[quote user="crossy67"][quote user="cooperlola"]

[/quote]

Yes, there are houses advertised for as little as £75k in my area in areas with high rentals, these are very interesting to me but the maintenance costs would just be too much for us when we make the move over to France next year.  One worrying thing for land lords in the UK is the out flux of migrant workers flocking back to Poland and leaving their rented houses empty.

[/quote]

That is well over prices here:)

Where's here Norm?

I don't get this taking ages for prices in France to rise bit.  I remember seeing French houses advertised for silly prices like £5-15k.  They seem to have gone through the roof when comparing then to now.  There are still some cheaper areas in France but not many left, will these cheaper areas be subject to the same increases once the global economy recovers a bit?  (presuming that it ever does)

[quote user="woolybanana"]student bedsits?[/quote]

Good investment but high maintenance, which brings us back to weather you can DIY or not.

Depressed areas, not my area.  Ok, it's not affluent but by no means depressed.  Only problem with the cheapie end of the market is they are not in the best areas.

I have a rental property in the UK in a university city. Bought for 86K last year. Spent 10k on remedials and it's netting us a 5% return, plus eventually we will have a property to sell. It was a much better option than any savings or stock market investments. I don't think I'd try the same here though.