Not the Blair Journey

mint

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine is still there Cathy! (I am talking about my daypack which I still use) together with an exercise book (my diary and general organiser)  a drawstring plastic sick bag from Air Amaszonassa of  La Paz (use en caso de indispocicion)  and a neckscarf that has never served as that purpose but as a splint, bandage, sunhat, dustmask, table cloth and to preserve my modesty when some brugger nicked my clothes whilst I was washing in a river

Last minute recommendation....talcuum powder (talc in french) to ensure your feet stay dry. This is the secret in the infantry, keep your feet dry and your socks clean and you will walk to the moon....(better you than me). Good luck and be safe.

Thanks for reminding me,  ericd. My daughter mentioned it to me - she was in the military and served in Irak - and says it's indispensible so I'm taking some Johnson's baby powder.  She also taught me how to pack my bag by rolling everything, something I wouldn't have thought about. 

And if you havnt already worked out how to pack a sleeping bag..............................

Dont try to neatly fold it or roll it or whatever you will just get frustrated and wonder how they got it into its sac in the factory, whilst that remains a mystery to me the best way by far is to just stuff it in and keep stuffing.

It might sound obvious but when I did a charity bike ride in Australia 90% could not repack their sleeping bags especially on the hurry up, most of em didnt know how to ride a bike either having done all their training in the health club.

Oh and if you take a few nylon stuff sacs its much easier to find your clothing and seperate the soiled from the clean.

Hey, I'm back for the Last Supper with OH and Dog! 

Will tell you all about what I have been up to today but not this evening.

With all your good wishes and wonderful encouragement, Gem and I will just cover the miles!

Just weighed my rucksack and it was 6 kilos, before any bottles of water and before the waist pack.  But, I reckon it will all lighten as some things get used up!

Thank you to everybody who's sent words of encouragement and advice.  We are deeply, deeply touched............[kiss][kiss][kiss] kisses all round.

I expect I'm too late but what the heck.  All good wishes on your journey both.  Next time, Thelma and Louise, wot? 

What are we all going to do without Sweet's jolly (and occasionally hysterical - in the best sense) postings for the next few weeks, I wonder?

Take care, the two of you.

(Oh, and dump the skirt.  What is that about?  A woman never died for want of a skirt!)

Coops, you know I'm just waiting for you to drive me around in that swanky new car of yours!

The skirt, ah, there's a reason for that.  I'm not a skirt person generally.  But, Suej told me a friend of hers bought a sundress to wear on the Compostelle and that it was incredibly comfortable plus very discreet for those "behind the bushes" moments.

So, methinks, I can't and don't actually want a dress because it would be so difficult to wash and dry so I have settled for a sort of swirly skirt.  Then, I'd keep my modesty and forget the knickers as well whilst I'm at it!

Such freedom, Coops,  I suggest that you try it.........![:D]

[quote user="Chancer"] a neckscarf that has never served as that purpose but as a splint, bandage, sunhat, dustmask, table cloth and to preserve my modesty when some brugger nicked my clothes whilst I was washing in a river [/quote]

Yep.  I had a very lightweight head scarf that went everywhere with me.  I still have it.  It was also very useful in a sandstorm - but that's another story...

[quote user="woolybanana"]'Ere, that map, its quite a long way to St Compost Machin. Wouldn't the train have been easier?[/quote]

Yes, it most certainly would, Wooly!

We are dead on our feet - 22k today with quite a lot of hills and descents but we are in a charming Albergue, have been fed and watered (red water) but are ready for tomorrow.  Sweets is just taking care of her teeth to avoid problems and might well come by and post in a moment unless she has gone directly to bed.There is a bunch of Irish who are enjoying themselves and a bunch of Dutch singing at the top of their voices.  The Irish have just joined in with Nelly Malone and The Wild Rover so I'll make a discreet exit.

More when time and internet permits.

Just a quick greeting for when the two brave ladies next manage to breeze in.

I wonder where you are this morning and how it's going....

First real September morning here, early autumn mist disappearing as the sun starts to take over- wonder what you are seeing?

Onward and onward girls! Best feet forward! Enjoy!

Sue

Suej wrote: ''Best feet forward!''

Sadly they don't have any good feet as noted this morning in a message from Gemonimo.  [:(]

Sweet stopped off to tend to her feet a couple of days ago, while Gem pressed on to meet up with a friend who was arriving to meet up further on. They also both ended up with blisters, so are having a rest day, to look after their sore fet. Gem's hoping Sweet might catch up, but their communications aren't working at the moment.  [:(]

Everyone is helpful to one another, so Gem was confident that Sweet would be in good company.  [:)]