Poppy Protest

Rose

It's surely not so much that we are expected to tolerate in the West, but that we do and thus we have some right to criticise others for their intolerance?  The moment we condemn people for what they think, is the moment we become as bad as they are.  Their actions are a different matter and if the demonstrators had burnt a person, or somebody else's private property, then I agree, the full force of the legal system of the UK should have been brought to bear.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="woolybanana"]

No, it is what appears to be your one-sided views that is the problem. You are mouthing the views of just another caste. Your intolerance is exactly the same as the kid who chucked the fire extinguisher at the copper.[/quote]

It would appear Wooly, Braco is not alone. When citing the above incident on another thread, I was met with the reply "No sense of direction" followed by, "Needs a GPS" - comments which I understand to offer support in a strange way, to the person dropping the extinguisher!

The same contributor also makes reference to student protests of times gone by as "Heroic & memorable times in London".

Some people have a very strange interpretation of the significance of words like "Rememberance" and "Heroic".

The wearing of the Poppy is a simple gesture showing our respect for the fallen of 2 World Wars, and ongoing conflicts. Not forgetting, the income generated also helps benefit former servicemen of all ranks.

If Braco can't bring himself to wear a Poppy, I wonder just how much loose change he dropped into the collecting tin? 

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="woolybanana"]

No, it is what appears to be your one-sided views that is the problem. You are mouthing the views of just another caste. Your intolerance is exactly the same as the kid who chucked the fire extinguisher at the copper.[/quote]

It would appear Wooly, Braco is not alone. When citing the above incident on another thread, I was met with the reply "No sense of direction" followed by, "Needs a GPS" - comments which I understand to offer support in a strange way, to the person dropping the extinguisher!

The same contributor also makes reference to student protests of times gone by as "Heroic & memorable times in London".

Some people have a very strange interpretation of the significance of words like "Rememberance" and "Heroic".

The wearing of the Poppy is a simple gesture showing our respect for the fallen of 2 World Wars, and ongoing conflicts. Not forgetting, the income generated also helps benefit former servicemen of all ranks.

If Braco can't bring himself to wear a Poppy, I wonder just how much loose change he dropped into the collecting tin? 

[/quote]

I didn't wear a poppy, nor did I put anything in a collection tin; in fact there were no tins any where to be seen.

I note that rhetoric confuses elsewhere.

But then at least I CAN spell remembrance; seems strange to me in my humble opinion that with your obvious concern with Armistice Day and Veterans Day, on an annual basis that the spelling still after all those many years seems to escape you.

Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day or Veterans Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries to remember the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War.

[quote user="Russethouse"]....... and what this thread really needs is to start picking at others spelling......yawn !

Can we keep to the topic please?
[/quote]

Sorry about that... but I was just following the example of Tony of Dordogne...;

Pitiful.

And btw Braco it's 'toe' the party line, not 'tow', if you're full of indignant and inflammatory comment, at least spell it correctly.

Obviously noting Braco's spelling mistakes is acceptable.....noting SS's is not.....yawn!

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I didn't wear a poppy, nor did I put anything in a collection tin; in fact there were no tins any where to be seen.[/quote]

Then I take great pleasure in refering you here; [url]http://www.rbl-linazay-france.org/[/url]

[quote user="pachapapa"]I note that rhetoric confuses elsewhere.

But then at least I CAN spell remembrance; seems strange to me in my humble opinion that with your obvious concern with Armistice Day and Veterans Day, on an annual basis that the spelling still after all those seems to escape you.[/quote]

Terribly sorry, but unlike some I don't have A level English, and unlike some - I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm not perfect, and I do make mistakes!

[quote user="pachapapa"]Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day or Veterans Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries to remember the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War.[/quote]

Well thanks for that little gem of wisdom. Perhaps you'd like to inform the Royal British Legion branches in France of this interesting bit of Googling fact?

Now pray tell of your "Heroic" actions, or simply fade back into obscurity.

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

I didn't wear a poppy, nor did I put anything in a collection tin; in fact there were no tins any where to be seen.[/quote]

Then I take great pleasure in refering you here; [url]http://www.rbl-linazay-france.org/[/url]

[quote user="pachapapa"]I note that rhetoric confuses elsewhere.

But then at least I CAN spell remembrance; seems strange to me in my humble opinion that with your obvious concern with Armistice Day and Veterans Day, on an annual basis that the spelling still after all those seems to escape you.[/quote]

Terribly sorry, but unlike some I don't have A level English, and unlike some - I'll hold my hands up and admit I'm not perfect, and I do make mistakes!

[quote user="pachapapa"]Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day or Veterans Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries to remember the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War.[/quote]

Well thanks for that little gem of wisdom. Perhaps you'd like to inform the Royal British Legion branches in France of this interesting bit of Googling fact?

Now pray tell of your "Heroic" actions, or simply fade back into obscurity.

[/quote]

Err not on the list...my local superette is not featured. If I were to wear a flower it would be a "BLEUET" and not a poppy. Do note the use of the subjunctive "were" rather than an erroneous "was".

Poitou-Charentes Branch

POPPY APPEAL 2010

This year’s Poppy Appeal runs from the 21st October till the 11th November 2010.

Poppies can be obtained from the following outlets:

Confolens                      Best of British

Chateau des Forges      Golf Club

Voulême                        Edna’s

Lizant                            La Sirene Take-Away

Menigoute                     Hotel Voyagers

Brux                              Restaurant/Bar St Martin

Chef Boutonne             Vet

Sauzé-Vaussais             The Lemon Tree

Sauzé-Vaussais             Blayney’s

Ruffec                           The Cockleshell

Blanzay                         Auberge du Village

Charroux                      Arkwright’s

Charroux                      Bar d’Abbaye

La Mothe St Héray       Dentist (Andrew Kowalevski)

Montbron                     “A tout les gouts”

Montbron                     Pub O’Mahony

Montbron                     Golf Club de la Preze

Verneuil                        Le Soleil Couchant

Angoulême                    Aux Iles Britanniques

Chasseneuil sur

Bonnière                        Natural is Best

Azerables                       Le Creusois Bar

Chateauponce               Le Bistrot

Azerables                       Coif Hair

Civray                           La Grande Galerie

Civray                           Open Doors

Civray                           Civray Micro

Aigre                             Imagination

Aigre                             Aigre Autos

Mansle                           Leggetts

La Souterraine              The St Jean English Library

Le Beugnon                            A La Bonne Vie

Le Dorat                        La Petite Fontaine

Le Dorat                        La Maison Bleu Café

Bellac                             Café Vetriano’s

St Junien                       Moulin de Tintin

Lezay                                      Tabac

Champniers                  Bar les Tilleuls

Chabanais                     The Lady Godiva

Droux                            Chez Adie

Parthenay                     Café Giac, E Leclerc

Parthenay                     Newsagents, E Leclerc

Vihiers                           Super U

L’Asie                            La Poste Bar

Vernoux en Gatine       La Dragon Bar

Markets

Angela Berry (Artist)

The Soap Lady

British Beers in France

Various Locations

Top Hat Quizes

Mobile Fish & Chips France

Before making a special journey to get your poppies please check that your chosen outlet is open.

Please give generously.

Ken Checkett

Poppy Appeal Organiser 

Why go to the extraordinary length of copying the web page, whereas the simple link was more than adequate?

At least for next year you are now familiar where to obtain one if you so wish. 

[quote]If I were to wear a flower it would be a "BLEUET" and not a poppy.[/quote]

So we can take it; "If I were to ..." equates to "No, I didn't"!

Fine, you've made your point.

I don't know of anywhere that sells poppies locally. But I made a decision that I wanted to wear one and emailed my son in England, who bought some on my behalf and posted some out. Not the sort of thing a sheep does, Braco; although we don't have many sheep here - or goats for that matter!  [:)]

To me the poppies we wear are a symbol of sacrifices made both in the past and today; I also support wholeheartedly the work done by the British Legion to help servicemen and women in the past, present and future. My brothers both did national service, but were very lucky not to be involved in wars.

I was in the Vercors at the weekend, and returned through Vassieux; there's a huge memorial above the village to villagers who were massacred at the very end of the war. Passing through on the 8th of November, it was even more touching than on previous visits. This 'martyr village' was made a Companion of Liberation.

Sadly, but maybe naturally, shopkeepers have gone out to inspect our car when we've popped into shops in Vassieux; with GB on the back we were then served with smiles. It was made very clear that if we'd been German we would not have been served. There's a memorial in the centre of the village, the large one in the hills above, plus a necropolis just outside the village. I imagine every family had relatives who died in the massacre; forgetting and forgiving are still in the future for many of them, as these were not old people who were in the shops. I wonder what we would have done if England had been occupied; we can never know the answer, but I for one am very thankful that those called upon to fight did their duty.

Ladies and gentlemen

Let me start off by apologising if anyone thought that I was condoning the poppy burning. I was not. You may have seen the protest at the Celtic football ground. This may be of interest to people advocating the deportation of Muslim’s. I take it that Scottish nationals are now also added to the list? The if your not with us you must be against us argument is the first step in the decent into totalitarism.

In answer to the losing the argument I am afraid that I found little need to respond to silly insults.

The reasons that I will not wear a poppy are clearly stated. I respect everyone’s right to choose. I do contribute and politely explain my reasons. I do not support the help for heroes’ charity. My support for the armed force is to campaign to stop corrupt and stupid leaders placing them in harms way fighting ridiculous unwinnable and counter productive wars.

The poppy appeal certainly had many uses in providing for the victims and helping the nation through the grieving process. My problem is the danger that it is manipulated by leaders to garner support for their latest adventure. If the motto was remember the sacrifice and say no to anymore wars of choice I would proudly wear a poppy.

In answer to the people that have made the assumption that I am either not western or a Holocaust denier the answer is no and no. What is worrying is use of ‘Holocaust denier’ as this part of the lexicon of the people grooming us for episode three.

The lesson of the Holocaust is that given a population where all dissenting voices have been eliminated that leaders can use nationalism and large armed forces to achieve any agenda.

The UK has many problems to deal with. Last night trillion pound horror on channel 4 is worth watching. Least among them is the threat of terrorism. It was best articulated by a speaker on Any Questions a few weeks ago as ‘I have more chance of a tortoise dropped from an eagle’s beak landing on my head’. Before someone says 7/7 let me remind you of the video of the bomber stating that his driver was Iraq. The government of course holds an inquiry as to who stood where. The armed forces should be drastically reduced to fit a sensible defence only policy with nuclear weapons as backup.

. .

[quote user="Braco"]Since you ask I see it as the UK swastika badge and as such boycott it. To me it has no merit other than perpetuating the military myth and allowing leaders to manipulate the population.[/quote]

Perhaps you should revise and apologize for the violence of your original message and not drink before posting in future!

[quote user="Braco"]Ladies and gentlemen Let me start off by apologising if anyone thought that I was condoning the poppy burning. I was not. You may have seen the protest at the Celtic football ground. This may be of interest to people advocating the deportation of Muslim’s. I take it that Scottish nationals are now also added to the list? The if your not with us you must be against us argument is the first step in the decent into totalitarism. In answer to the losing the argument I am afraid that I found little need to respond to silly insults. The reasons that I will not wear a poppy are clearly stated. I respect everyone’s right to choose. I do contribute and politely explain my reasons. I do not support the help for heroes’ charity. My support for the armed force is to campaign to stop corrupt and stupid leaders placing them in harms way fighting ridiculous unwinnable and counter productive wars. The poppy appeal certainly had many uses in providing for the victims and helping the nation through the grieving process. My problem is the danger that it is manipulated by leaders to garner support for their latest adventure. If the motto was remember the sacrifice and say no to anymore wars of choice I would proudly wear a poppy. In answer to the people that have made the assumption that I am either not western or a Holocaust denier the answer is no and no. What is worrying is use of ‘Holocaust denier’ as this part of the lexicon of the people grooming us for episode three. The lesson of the Holocaust is that given a population where all dissenting voices have been eliminated that leaders can use nationalism and large armed forces to achieve any agenda. The UK has many problems to deal with. Last night trillion pound horror on channel 4 is worth watching. Least among them is the threat of terrorism. It was best articulated by a speaker on Any Questions a few weeks ago as ‘I have more chance of a tortoise dropped from an eagle’s beak landing on my head’. Before someone says 7/7 let me remind you of the video of the bomber stating that his driver was Iraq. The government of course holds an inquiry as to who stood where. The armed forces should be drastically reduced to fit a sensible defence only policy with nuclear weapons as backup. . .[/quote]

"Since you ask I see it as the UK swastika badge and as such boycott it." You said it and then you defended it, do yourself and us a favour and take Bugsy's advice.

Braco,

You obviously now realise that your comments really did upset and anger a number of people, myself included.

You really should reconsider your last sentence though, if the Armed Forces are reduced drastically from the present reduced state they would not be a viable defence force and the concept of nuclear weapons as a back up is only viable if there is the will to use them, which there is'nt.

The whole defence / Military structure is a problem which needs considerable thought and future planning and is certainly not a subject for this sort of forum although I am happy to discuss it at length with anyone - not that such discussion would achieve anything.

The defence of the realm starts with a correct understanding of the threats. For my benefit can you please explain what special threats we face that are not faced by say Germany, Sweden, or Switzerland? I would ask that you do not include the rump of the empire as any leader worthy of the name should be able to negotiate acceptable agreements and guarantees.

The real threat in my opinion is civil unrest as the economic situation worsens over the next ten years.

PS I should have also have added in my previous that a true statesman – Harold Wilson had the strength of character when tested with the offer of joining in the Vietnam War to say no,

Braco I agree with your views on Uni education; and you did come back, so I'll take a chance that you can't be all bad;
with regard to Poppies . . .  I'd say you really completely misunderstand the symbolism, blood spilled by boys and men obeying orders of your elected representatives, I'd say you need to take issue with politicians (if you think you could win that one) . . . and shouldn't expect a job in PR or BP or RR.

[quote user="just john "]

Braco I agree with your views on Uni education; and you did come back, so I'll take a chance that you can't be all bad;
with regard to Poppies . . .  I'd say you really completely misunderstand the symbolism, blood spilled by boys and men obeying orders of your elected representatives, I'd say you need to take issue with politicians (if you think you could win that one) . . . and shouldn't expect a job in PR or BP or RR.

[/quote]

The greatest victory for humanity after the defeat of the Nazis was handed down at Nuremberg with the words that following orders was not a defence against war crimes. I politely suggest that if every soldier worldwide took this to mean I shall not carry a weapon outside of my national boundary that true progress will have been made. Remember the Christmas football match in the trenches.

Remember Pearl Harbour; . .  look where that led, as the other John said All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ , we have a history and we seem to believe men should be free, if you don't believe in helping NATO or whoever play policeman how lucky do you feel? what else would you gamble?

With respect Pearl Harbour is far more complex than shown in films, and that if FDR was GWB his response could have been to declare war on Mexico.

Who said do nothing?

NATO and all other clubs should be disbanded with immediate effect.

The Cuban missile crisis followed on from the installation of US missile sites in Turkey which were quietly removed as part of the stand down agreement.

If you enjoy this type of action great if not elect real statesmen.

[quote user="Braco"]With respect Pearl Harbour is far more complex than shown in films, and that if FDR was GWB his response could have been to declare war on Mexico.

Who said do nothing?

NATO and all other clubs should be disbanded with immediate effect.

The Cuban missile crisis followed on from the installation of US missile sites in Turkey which were quietly removed as part of the stand down agreement.

If you enjoy this type of action great if not elect real statesmen.[/quote]

Were you thinking of answering my question ?

Remember the Christmas football match in the trenches.

Featured in last nights film "Joyeux Noël" on france 3.

In the context of the subliminal message on this thread..... not wearing a poppy therefore I am a dirty unpatriotic traitor....the final disbanding of the Scots Brigade with a mass quoting Matthew and establishing that god is on the side of those who fight the germans who are hated by god the father, god the son and god the tiddly poo was particularly poignant. Brought a little wry smile to my photogenic gaze.