Trapped miners Chile.

pachapapa

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who, like me, don't read Spanish:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/09/drill-reaches-trapped-chilean-miners

There's a lot more international interest building up now.  There was a very good piece yesterday about the trapped men and their families - some embarassing secrets have been coming out of the woodwork as those close to them gather at the drill site.

At least with modern technology we know they are down there and that they remain alive.  In the old mine disasters people dug for days and weeks sometimes, knowing that most of the time they would only bring up corpses.  A way of life in the kind of mining village where my father and his ancestors grew up.

For those who dont like to read in spanish, an interesting press release on the Schramm T-130, featured in Market Watch of the Wall Street Journal.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/layne-christensen-drillers-reach-trapped-miners-in-chile-2010-10-10?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Sundays crop of pictures 25 from e-mol mundo grafico showing casing assembly and activities at Campo Esperanza.

http://www.emol.com/mundografico/?G_ID=16090

[quote user="Chancer"]Thats the one Pascua-Lama.[/quote]

By 1977 the presence of gold on the Chilean Argentina border was well prospected but the arrest of Isabel Péron and the establishment of the Military Junta meant that exploitation of any cross-border deposits was a no-no. The Beagle Dispute made things even worse and effectively closed off anything on the border. The St Joe International in this period pushed forward with the El Indio deposit, a much richer resource with plenty of visible gold; the ore dug straight from the DSO stopes in the mine was placed steel drums and welded. Batches were then taken down under armed guard periodically to Coquimbo for Direct Shipping to the USA. In 1982 during the Falklands War period I took time out from the company's Argentinian Operations and spent time doing a detailed budget, production and manpower planning analysis for the company. An interesting area to work in but tough on top of the Cordillera at -40°C.[:)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[quote user="cooperlola"]It's not that I don't like, simply that I cannot (English, French and a smattering of German are my limits, I'm afraid.)[/quote]

Its similar to french and a lot easier than german.

Give it a try![I]

[/quote]

I was pleasantly surprised that I coud follow the article, I certainly would not have been able to after my intensive course in Spanish and my period in Latin America.

It can only be due the similarity of many French and Spanish words, reading the article a I recognised a few of the principle verbs that must be lodged in my memory, cant even recall them now but "to do" , "to be", "to have", "to be able", "to want" etc but the rest must have been from my subsequent Frecnh learning.

It has always been my intention to learn Spanish after being proficient in French, that day is not far off now.

I

watched the first man come up in this morning and , have found myself

drawn back to the live SKY / BBC TV coverage

of

the rescue again and again , hoping that they will all emerge safely

and be

able

to recover fully from their ordeal over the coming weeks and months.

So

far so good as , 8 miners have been rescued.

A very heartening story with an excellent outcome.

Firstly the drilling to locate them, then the drilling of the holes for the rescue and today the culmination of all of this with the start of the rescues.

The emotional reunions with their families and the potential for psychological problems to come.

[:)] I wonder if the miner whose wife AND mistress turned up at the mine wants to be rescued [:)]

I also wonder what would have happened in other countries in the World?

Paul

[quote user="Gardener"]They sent the fittest three first in case there was a problem with the mechanism. The fourth and some after him are the ones who have found it the hardest going down there.[/quote]

Hence the old saying "survival of the fittest".

John

[quote user="londoneye"]

Yes it does - of course it sounds like a cliche; but it does put things like 'OMG my tax fonciere has increased' (!!!) into perspective somewhat.

[/quote]

Not really, increases in taxe fonc. affect me far more than news of miners stuck in a hole in Chile.

John

[quote user="Iceni"]

With an anticipated rescue rate of 1 per hour why send the fittest person first ?

BTW I didn't spot Max Cliiford in the crowd but I'm sure he will be there somewhere, contracts in hand.

John

[/quote]

In the event of the cage getting stuck, the lower portion can be detached from the upper portion and the lower portion lowered again to the underground chamber. Although you may have the impression that the hoist rope is attached to the top of the cage the rope passes freely through the top portion. The freeing of the two portions requires some physical effort on the part of the passenger; a younger fitter person would find the declutching easier.

While I was re-reading the thread about Sweet and Gem, the last of the miners was brought up! [:D] I'd been watching through the small hours - it has been thrilling! Their rescuers have been wonderful, and what fortitude their families have shown.

I wish those men all the very best in the future - their survival and rescue has been incredible, but they will have difficulties to face in the future, too - just very different ones!