Abdication?

Gardian

Didn't want to mess up the fun on the 'Banana' thread, so something different.

Let me first of all say that I'm neither a Royalist nor an anti-Royalist. Unashamedly on the fence.

However, I've thought for a while that QE has hung on too long: it's been time for her to step aside for a long while. How old is she now - mid-80's?  Prince Philip is 90.  It's time for Charles to take over & do the things that royalty are there for. I'll bet that there haven't been more than half a dozen state visits in the last ten years. She really does need to stand aside.

Today's announcement makes it all the more difficult. Not next year. Not in 2012 (Diamond Jub).

When?

p.s. Don't want this to become a 'Why Royalty' thread - that's not the question. 

Tut tut Wooly, she's been promoted, she's no longer a Kate, she now has to be referred to as Katherine cos the people wot know about these things say so.

Doesn't matter whether current royal abdicates or dies, the UK media of every type will be full of it, every pundit, idiot with a vested interest and royal correspondent will crawl out of the woodwork.  So far on BBC tele news this evening they have had 4 royal correspondents, for a family of how many?  Please don't abdicate and then die, that means two helpings of wall to wall royal stories and opinion.

Ahhh Kate, your Prince has come, you lucky girl.

Tony FFFF, it is a wonderful way of distracting people in bad times.

Now just imagine how Tony Blair would have profited from such an event. I reckon he'd have been under the royal bed to record the royal b*nk on the  wedding nite and say it was thanks to him that it came to that, so to speak.

Or Peter Mandelson, how would he have described the event? I draw a veil...!

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Ahhh Kate, your Prince has come, you lucky girl.

Tony FFFF, it is a wonderful way of distracting people in bad times.

Now just imagine how Tony Blair would have profited from such an event. I reckon he'd have been under the royal bed to record the royal b*nk on the  wedding nite and say it was thanks to him that it came to that, so to speak.

Or Peter Mandelson, how would he have described the event? I draw a veil...!

[/quote]

What a modern young couple you assume them to be[6]