So who has mega bucks in their bank accounts?

mint

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="cooperlola"]What are savings?[Www][/quote]

Money in excess of your needs, usually inherited, which you pretend  to have gained by thrift, thus giving you the moral high ground over people who have struggled all their lives to make ends meet.

[/quote]

or.. Money in excess of your current needs, often earned through toil and risk taking, which you have gained by thrift, thus giving you the moral high ground over people

who spent your youth playing the pratt at the back of the class and down at the pub every evening, while you studied and worked.

or.. Money in excess of your needs, earned through toil, which you have added to by thrift, thus giving you the moral high ground over people who spent your youth playing the prat at the back of the class, and what is left over after taxes and buying sufficient rose wine to drink with all your many friends!  [:)]

How about money in excess of your needs which you have "earned" by selling your UK residence at a time of rising house prices and by buying your French residence for next to nothing when the sterling/euro rate was in your favour so that you can temporarily gain the moral high ground by looking askance at those people still back in the UK who can now no longer do as you so happily and readily did?

OK, just a tongue-in-the-cheek comment that isn't meant to describe how things really were so don't give me a lot of flack for it!

Money in excess of your needs, usually inherited, which you pretend  to have gained by thrift, thus giving you the moral high ground over people who have struggled all their lives to make ends meet.

With inheritance often comes the duty and expectation that you will add to it before handing over to the next generation. The higher the bar is set the harder it is to make your own mark.

[quote user="Braco"]Money in excess of your needs, usually inherited, which you pretend  to have gained by thrift, thus giving you the moral high ground over people who have struggled all their lives to make ends meet.

With inheritance often comes the duty and expectation that you will add to it before handing over to the next generation. The higher the bar is set the harder it is to make your own mark.[/quote]

I smile at the expectation of handing on wealth ... although our boys should be fortunate. Both my wife and I have asked, and received, nothing .... Indeed for my first 5 years of employment I helped my mother repay her mortgage. Any money we have squirreled away are due to our combined effort - obviously we have not begrudged helping the listless,thru our taxes, over the years.

Neither of us inherited anything. Now that we're getting longer in the tooth if we're considering paying for something out of our savings, we divide the cost by four (the number of our kids) and decide it isn't that much and they'd only waste it anyway.

Hoddy

Sprog has just bought her first house, so who had to come over to UK to help her move etc?

Bless!

As if we don't have enough decorating/building to do in France - still it means that now we can really start spending their inheritance! (LOL)

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="cooperlola"]What are savings?[Www][/quote]

[/quote]

But surely not all can inherit it....

I sometimes watch the programme 'A place in the Country'. There are several young couples looking for houses up to and sometimes over £1M.

Clearly I have done things wrong all my life.

Paul

[quote user="PaulT"]

Clearly I have done things wrong all my life.

Paul

[/quote]Me too, Paul.

My maternal grandfather was a very wealthy man with a large estate in Cornwall.  He was a barrister but never practiced law, he simply sold the estate,  fathered 11 children all of whom went to boarding school from the age of 5 onwards, had a house in London and another in Wiltshire and spent his time pursuing his hobby as a genealogist.  His eldest  son got the house in London, his widow the cottage, and all his other kids got a few hundred quid each.

Now there's a guy who knew how to live![:D]