UK property rental - help with tax form 2044

maxap

Hello all,

I need to fill in form 2044 for UK rental income (I know I am a bit late). It looks a bit daunting.

Can anyone please point me to the lines I need to fill in. Its for one property and there is no expenses related to the rental, except for a management fee.

Thank you

Although I can't help you on filling the form in-I'm curious as to why you need to. I rent out our former home in the UK . It's declared in the UK and the figures reported on the two tax forms here. I've never filled in the one you mention. I needed to go to the tax office to check something this year and took my forms with me. The lady going through them could sed that I declared UK income from rental income but she never said I should have filled in another form.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote user="Mac"]Although I can't help you on filling the form in-I'm curious as to why you need to. I rent out our former home in the UK . It's declared in the UK and the figures reported on the two tax forms here. I've never filled in the one you mention. I needed to go to the tax office to check something this year and took my forms with me. The lady going through them could sed that I declared UK income from rental income but she never said I should have filled in another form.[/quote]

Hi,
I agree with this: declare only on   form 2047 as income qualifying for exeption by credit (sec 6), and at 4 BE and 4'BK, and 8TK on form 2042 , added to any other exempt income .

I can't remember exactly what happened with last years form but when I decided not to complete 2044 then BL on 2042 disappeared. The net result was that I obtained a credit d'impot on impot but was charged CSG and then had to claim a dégrévement. Was thinking for 2020 that I would complete 2044.

Grateful for any advice.

B

[quote user="bkm7"]I can't remember exactly what happened with last years form but when I decided not to complete 2044 then BL on 2042 disappeared. The net result was that I obtained a credit d'impot on impot but was charged CSG and then had to claim a dégrévement. Was thinking for 2020 that I would complete 2044.

Grateful for any advice.

B[/quote]

Hi,
 I have given my advice .

Judging by some friends' experiences , however you declare at present, some tax offices are  wrongly charging CSG at 17.2% ,or at the new rate for S 1 holders of 7.5% "prélèvement de solidarité" --- both of which are wrong as UK rents are exempted from all french taxes and social charges  (or similar) by the Convention of 2008.    

If this happens to you , and your demand for dégrévement is refused  (as has happened to a friend of mine) you may have to go through the various appeal procedures .       

Thanks Parsnips, that is really useful information.

This year I completed 2044 with the UK rental income but I did wonder whether it was necessary. Only our 2nd tax return so I'm still learning, but now feel more confident just to declare on 2047 next year.

Like your friends we've incorrectly been charged PdS, I sent a message in a couple of weeks querying it and asking for it to be corrected. I'll see what happens, but will obviously appeal if I don't get anywhere.