French Certificate of Tax Residency

David

For some reason the UK Tax people have decided that they require me to supply a French Certificate of Tax Residency, issued by the French Tax Authorities.  They recommend French Form 5000.

I have searched on line but I cannot find any appropriate certificate.

There used to be a form numbered 730 which was suitable, but this has been superceded by form 5000 which does not seem to cover French residency.

This is a demand by the UK Tax Men so I have to comply, but I do not know what to do, so any advice would be very gratefully received.

Thank you,

David

Thanks for the reply Norman,

That is indeed the form 5000 that I was referring to.  That form is titled Certificate of Residence, but there is nowhere on the form for French Residence.

In the previous form 730 para 4 was specific about French Residency, but form 5000 para 4 has been changed and does not now cover French Residency.   The text of form 5000 now seems to apply to reclaiming, or not paying, French tax on French income.

I was wondering if there was another form apart from form 5000 (Form 5000-EN-SD is the version of the form in English).

Many thanks for replying,

David

Thanks for that Norman - I think you are correct, but I also think form 730 has been superceeded.  It came up in my search as a predecessor to the 5000 form which is also be used for business.  I have searched the internet and the French Impots site and I cannot find a suitable certificate.

This morning we completed the forms 5000-EN-SD in triplicate, one each for my wife and I, and traipsed down to the local tax office.  They were very helpful, but advised that the form 5000 was not the correct form.  However, they were not able to suggest the correct form, so they took our completed 5000 forms and said that they would forward them to Narbonne for their consideration.  They expect the reply will take about one month, so I will just have to wait and see.  At least they should send me something in writing for the UK Tax Man.

Thanks very much for your replies.

David

Their consideration??? and you are paying french taxes a french resident???

I would be on the phone to HMRC, either that number I gave you or the number on the letter and tell them that the french are going to give it 'their consideration'.

Honestly, I looked at that form and it looked to me like the heavy hand of USofA  was all over it.

We had problems a couple of years ago with our french bank threatening to block our account unless we could prove who we were and were our income came from.

As it they did not know, we moved to France in the early 80's and the french authorities, our bank included, have had every last bit of info about us. Birth certificates officially translated, marriage certificate and an earlier divorce too. Payments for every last thing made in France and french ID cards for most of our time there, they expired in our last couple of years. Plus, the only income our french bank had was from the french pension schemes and 'strangely' they should know who the CRAM and Humanis are, as this is where most french people get pensions from.

And we had to declare that we were not american.

Our french banque said that this was the law, the americans had to know too???? the veracity of what one is being told by any french banque (I have been lied to too many times) would be nigh on impossible to prove and boy did I try, just maybe I am lousy at seaching, but I spent hours on it.

Unless your affairs are particularly complicated, contact HMRC they are the ones after all requesting and maybe requiring this(or not).

My UK bank asked several times for my numéro fiscal, which they said HMRC needed. Spoke to the local impots people and they told me I would be issued a number only after I had submitted my first tax return, which is not due until next year. My bank accepted this and said they would get back to me next year. There was no mention of a certificate of tax residency.

Thank you all for your replies.  I did try your number in the UK Idun, but got fed up waiting, so hung up.

As I have lodged the forms with the French Tax I think I will wait till they reply, and then take it from there.

Thanks all,

David

I tried the number and it was definitely the right one, so bear that in mind if you have any problems and if you have speaker phone just leave it on until they reply.

That is the trouble with HMRC, catching them, just getting that slacker period. It seems to be the problem with all tax offices etc, whether it be the french overseas tax people or french pension people too.[Www]