Service ?

Russethouse

I really laughed when Nikita  told one couple that if they liked bread and butter pudding and liked bananas they would love banana bread and butter pudding, but as she didn't like either it wasn't for her...[6]

I could almost feel Michel Roux's horror, he showed admirable patience [:'(]

Significant for me, was Roux's colleague, the youngster's mentor and trainer (The French man) berating the young woman for standing at the main entrance of the very upmarket establishment and saying "Hiiyaa!" rather than a simple English greeting, "Good Afternoon."

She might have well said "Wotcha Mate; orlrit?"

M. Roux's patience and kindness shines through all the way.

I could imagine one Gordon Ramsey doing the same.......

Not!

Interestingly, our son gave Mrs Gluey Roux's new book this Christmas, amongst other things.

It is a fascinating read: split between Roux's life (And that of his father and uncle and the early days of La Gavroche) and recipes.

Interestingly, since his father was a chef retained by a wealthy family living in a stately home, Roux's early life was spent in surroundings similar to the hotel of last evening.

Worth a read.

Sadly I haven't been to La Gavroche, but I have been to Michel Roux Snrs restaurant, The Waterside. The food and the service are above reproach. Imagine my surprise to see that it is only No 9 on Trip Advisors order of restaurants in the area, beaten by somewhere we have been fairly frequently (because it is in a convenient location for us and has level access) where the food is good average at best and the service very casual. I can only assue that Waterside customers have better things to do than post on Trip Advisor[;-)].

[quote user="Russethouse"]Sadly I haven't been to La Gavroche, but I have been to Michel Roux Snrs restaurant, The Waterside. The food and the service are above reproach. Imagine my surprise to see that it is only No 9 on Trip Advisors order of restaurants in the area, beaten by somewhere we have been fairly frequently (because it is in a convenient location for us and has level access) where the food is good average at best and the service very casual. I can only assue that Waterside customers have better things to do than post on Trip Advisor[;-)].[/quote]

Having in a past incarnation been a diner at a number of the "Best" and "Famed" eateries, Russet, like you, I have invariably been most disappointed: and far better food and much more enjoyable service in smaller and basically unknown places all too often.

As an example, in 1979 I was taken by clients to eat at the Mirabelle in Curzon Street (Then supposed as Margaret Thatcher's favourite restaurant). Not impressed at all. Service? As a smoker then and needing some cigs, the Dunhill Internationals supplied, were carried to the table opened, neatly presented on a silver salver, with the wrappings all taken off and top open, and the cigs artistically set out in serried display.

Didn't see this qualified for a price which was three times retail, however!

I've not been to Le Gavroche or to The Waterside, which is more local, although people I know who've been there thought it was wonderful! I'm surprised to hear that it's only 9th on TA - maybe people who eat there don't take part in such things! We've eaten at L'Ortolan, lovely food, but service was a bit overwhelming; there seemed to be more waiters than people lunching there! It got to the stage where I didn't want to have any more wine, because as soon as we picked up our glasses, a waiter stepped forward to refill them!

We've not been around for 'Service' and have no TV in France, but I've heard from others that it's excellent. I did intend to ask son to record it for me, but forgot.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Yes, GG, it's LE Gavroche.  Pay attention RH and Gluey....

Incidentally, it means "urchin" in French so I have no idea why such a name was chosen for a restaurant.

[/quote]

Just shows how it gets you, Sweets.

Mind says "Gavroche" feminine: ergo definite article has to be feminine too.

[blink]

Been busy, so a bit late into this thread.  I saw the first episode a few days late (first time I've found BBC3 on the set and also something useful on it!) as the broadcast day is no good for me, and I must agree with some of the comments about the patience of the two "trainers" and the incompetence of the trainees.  Life skills are so important......

Earlier this month we treated ourselves to the best restaurant to celebrate our silver wedding .....usually too expensive for us,  and yes, having seen the service there - not overwhelming, but appropriate, feeling all in control, not overwhelming, amend menu if it doesn't suit etc, all the things you hope for but so rarely get, even at the expensive places, I can now look a the programme knowing what it is like to experience good service, so it makes it even more interesting.

I am not usually a fan of these reality, win at all costs, programmes, but in this case it will be interesting to see how they progress....

[quote user="Hoddy"]Chrissie, I'm waging a one-woman campaign against "Y'aright then ?" I reply with "Yes, I'm fine thank you." It throws them every time. I think I'm a grumpy old woman.

Hoddy[/quote]

Good on you Hoddy!

I must have been an exceptionally grumpy old man now for some 25 years!

[:)]

I have been railing at the degradation of the English language for far more years than I care to remember.

Youngsters seem to use (In the South) a cross between Estuarine "Mockney", Afro-Caribbean Street-Jive-Gangstah- Druggie- Rap Speek; laced with Australian Ocka, Americanisms and Text Speek.

They are unable to pronounce aspirates: and when called upon to pronounce the letter "H" resort to saying "Haitch".

The definite article is always spoken as "Th", rather than "Thee" (Indeed, far too many TV presenters make the same error): number five becomes "Fayrve": "Anything" is spoken "Anythink": when it is not "Anyfink".

No doubt in the near future Britain will be forced to adopt Swahili, in order that people of all generations might be able to communicate and comprehend each other..........

[Www]

• 2 weeks later...
A good ending to a very interesting programme I thought it was quite moving. This programme certainly did not have the nastiness seen in some of the Apprentice series.  It was good to be told  what everyone went on

to do after the training  and most seemed to have done well even if they had not won the

scholarships.

Fred was interviewed on Woman's Hour this week, interesting to

hear his point of view and about the work that he does with young

people.

[quote user="Hoddy"]Did anyone else find themselves weeping at the results ? Hoddy[/quote]

Very nearly ...... I felt really nervous for them when they were at the restaurant in France.

I think Brook who got the job with Fred  probably did the best......

Great series, I hope they do something similar again.

Yes wept buckets! Thought the whole series was very eye-opening particularly as so much of what front of house do is taken for granted! Michel Roux came across as a fantastic mentor too. I also agreed with his choice of scholarships, and although I really liked Brooke and Nicki I thought they would succeed without winning.

Brilliant series. It really seemed to have the welfare of the participants at its heart, not the tv ratings. Although I think it probably achieved both. It was wonderful to see the kids grow in self-confidence - and self-esteem - as the weeks progressed. And they were praised on their real achievements too, it wasn't empty praise. You could see the younger ones growing up over the period. And unlike the Apprentice - which someone mentioned - these kids really worked well together (occasional spat aside) and seemed genuinely happy for each others successes...  it was perhaps the first time some of them had really encountered teamwork.

I thought it was truly inspirational tv and Michel Roux, Fred et al were just wonderful.

Totally agree with Catalpa.

As far as one could judge, the choices seemed good.  Particularly pleased for Ashley, who was the one who 'grew' most over the series.

In a way, I rather hope that they don't try to run another series - it would run the risk of becoming just another reality show.  It would be interesting though for them to do a 'how they all got on' in a couple of years time.

I didn't see the series, as we don't have TV in France, but read about it beforehand and enjoyed the comments about it on here. I also heard Fred on Woman's Hour, and thought he was fascinating when he talked about the young people on the programme. Also when he talked about the differences between the two countries when it came to serving at table etc. It sounded much better than The Apprentice, maybe a bit more like Restaurant, which I enjoyed.

It was when Brooke, the one who got a job in Fred's restaurant, said, "screw the scholarship" that we laughed our socks off.  She was right, of course: to get a job, be paid, and learn from Fred has got to be the jackpot, don't you think?

I wonder that they can't apply the formula to different jobs:  electrician, car mechanic, whatever.  A much better way to spend some of the TV licence money and government money than paying benefits for people to stay at home with no hopes of a job, IMHO.

But then, it must be difficult to find people of the calibre of Michel Roux who are able and willing to take such unpromising material as these youngsters were and turn them into employable men and women with fantastic self-esteem and ambition.