Internet connection

cherries

Hi

I had an old computer in france which has now given up the ghost and have bought a laptop. Unfortunately my wandoo disc will not load onto this new laptop as it does not recognise the running system. I tried to contact what was Wanadoo which now appears to be Orange and also tried France Telecom without success. Please can anyone help me

Anne

Throw the disc away, you do not need it.

If your computer has wireless on it (which all new ones have), turn it on and it should find the livebox. When it does, enter the 26 digit code that's found under the box and away you go. You might need to pair it with your computer, am not sure depends on the livebox, but there'll be a button on the box to press after you enter the code. This ties your computer to the box, it's an extra security feature.

If you're still stuck, post again and we'll give you more help.

Hi

The main problem I have is that there is not a good broadband connection in our village so the computer was dial up - I assumer there will be an internal modem in

my laptop but I am not that well up on these things. Should it still work if the phone is connected ?

Anne

Normally if the Laptop has a modem in it you will have a cable with a small plug on one end for the computer and on the other end will be a plug that fits the telephone socket of the country you bought it from i.e. if you bought it from the UK it will have a BT phone plug on the end, if you bought it in France it will have a French phone plug on the end. You can have a phone plugged in to another socket or if you have a two in to one adapter you can have it plugged in to that as well. Providing your not using the phone at the same time there won';t be a problem. By the way does the phone work OK? If it doesn't then it's not the problem of what your doing it's a line problem, assuming you have not been cut off for some reason.

You will have two sets of ID's and passwords, one for your Internet connection (unusually the first set on the letter) and the other for your email login, they are not interchangeable (unless you changed them).

You can also phone the Orange English speaking helpdesk on 0969 36 39 00 from within France or 0033 969 36 39 00 from the UK, its a cheap rate call number.

[quote user="Quillan"]Normally if the Laptop has a modem in it[/quote]Exactly and as modems are no longer a given in modern laptops I think we need to nail this one down before we go anywhere else.

Cherries, are you sure yours has a modem ?

If you don't know post the exact make and model and we can look it up.

They may not be side by side like the photo but you are looking for the smaller one of the two on the left.

[img]http://mcit.merton.ox.ac.uk/images/etherRJ45.jpg[/img]

Bet you didn't know that without much effort a USB plug fits quite snugly into an ethernet port. Obviously it makes no contact but the absolute novice could make the mistake. Us who have been round the block a few times have all seen worse [geek]

I'm not suggesting that anything like that is the case here of course.

We digress but watching somebody for 20 minutes trying to fit a thin Ethernet BNC in to an RJ45 socket without an adapter was pretty good fun and drew quite a crowd. The old IBM Type 1 connectors could be fun with people saying they had a male and wanted to order a female. I bet they used to get you to empty the 'bit bucket' as well. Anyway back to the thread. [;-)]

• 2 weeks later...