How not to shrink your socks in the wash

mint

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="bubbles"]Just wondered ....... what sort of equipment does Gok have?[/quote]

[quote user="just john "] the kind of equipment Gok or Trinny and Susannah usually work with . .  especially not Gok![:P]  [/quote]

Usually they both work with tasteless disproportionates of the female species, whilst occasionally (rarely[:$]) it maybe fun to watch these poor ladies being moulded, ''my friend'' certainly is no lady and especially not for Gok's hands![:-))]

thinks ''must find some new 'emotions' ''

[quote user="Hoddy"]Seeing those shorts made me forget all about socks. While we're at it can we ban shorts and trousers with pockets on the legs ? I can't do emoticons. Hoddy[/quote]

Why?? I think they are very fetching - Mr Mayo likes them cos he refuses to use a 'man bag' - but they do tend to droop a bit it they are used for heavy stuff. 

[quote user="sweet 17"]Well, I don't know the answer.  Do you? [/quote]

Yes  -  but I don't claim any credit for this;  it is merely a blind but successful following of the omniscient practices of the Great Aunts.

Naturally wash them gently, and in water which is not too hot.  But the crucial detail is in the drying

Do not dry stockings, pullovers, woollens, or anything that is inclined to shrink by hanging them on a line.  This is an almost infallible way of causing them to shrink. 

Dry them by laying them out flat, and they will not shrink.

Ours all go in the washing machine at a low temperature, including walking socks.

In cold or wet weather they go into the tumble dryer for a very short while. They are then stretched and hung over the drying rack, either inside or out, depending on the weather. I do dry jumpers etc flat but not socks. It's rare for any of our socks to shrink - can't remember the last time it happened. Disappear between rack and sock drawers, yes; shrink, no - although I suppose disappearing is the ultimate in shrinkage!  [:)]

Ours all go in the washing machine at a low temperature, including walking socks.

In cold or wet weather they go into the tumble dryer for a very short while. They are then stretched and hung over the drying rack, either inside or out, depending on the weather. I do dry jumpers etc flat but not socks. It's rare for any of our socks to shrink - can't remember the last time it happened. Disappear between rack and sock drawers, yes; shrink, no - although I suppose disappearing is the ultimate in shrinkage!  [:)]

Our everyday knives, forks and spoons (particularly tea spoons) seem to vanish with the same boring monotony as my socks: and spare Christmas cards.

One day I am convinced, I will find a hidden and forgotten cupboard, chock full of odd socks, various cutlery and gash Christmas cards!

Either that or somewhere in the house lies a crack into another time, caused by a collision between the space-time continuum and Mrs Gluey's shopping list.

P.S. If anyone spots a picture of a dinosaur wearing odd socks and waving teaspoons I want to know!

[:D]

After years of having odd bits of wrapping paper and birthday cards in different locations around the house I eventally bit the bullet and dedicated a largish draw plus one smaller one to wrapping paper and cards, once collated I realised that I have cards for every occaision except the birth of a baby boy !  I also keep a tin with ribbons, bows and tags in the same draw, and try to only buy a couple of rolls of paper specifically for Christmas and use plain colors and less specific decors as we get closer to Christmas.  Red is useful as red and blue or red and black look smart, and its easy to make look good all year....

As for socks - I long ago surrendered to the sock fairy ![8-)]  Lakeland sell clips to keep socks together in the wash, or use a netting bag (as sold for underwear)

I remember those sock clips, Russethouse. When the boys were still at home we used them; otherwise socks for four of us caused such problems! I quite like the socks OH has taken to wearing, grey with coloured heel and toe areas. I rib him that they're to help him to remember what day it is, as there are seven pairs in a pack with each pair a different colour!

I subscribe to Pierre ZFP's theory as to why socks disappear and coat hangers mount up:
''Socks are just the larval form of hangers'  [geek]

• 2 weeks later...

Just been able to come back on line and pick up on this thread.

I'm going to try Gengulphus' advice to dry them FLAT.  Thinking about it, all my jumpers, etc that have shrunk have all been slung on the line.  I guess it's my indifferent standards of housewifery that's at fault. [:(]

I remember a Welsh saying:  there's no grain in her washing.  Don't quite know what "grain" in this sense is but you can kind of guess at the meaning because the next statement is:  as for 'er 'usband, he do 'ave to shift for himself!

Been married 20 odd years, never had a missing sock problem until we moved to France - and then my socks keep disappearing - once seems to go each wash - decided the washing machine eats them or, accordng to Terry Pratchett, it's the sock fairy - but I don'r get a 'gloing' when one vanishes!

[quote user="Keni"]Been married 20 odd years, never had a missing sock problem until we moved to France - and then my socks keep disappearing - once seems to go each wash - decided the washing machine eats them or, accordng to Terry Pratchett, it's the sock fairy - but I don'r get a 'gloing' when one vanishes![/quote]

Don't you receive coat hangers when your socks go missing Keni? We have dozens of coat hangers from from when socks went missing! Years ago they were always wire coat hangers, but in these modern times they are all plastic! We lose socks in French and in English! [:)]