How not to shrink your socks in the wash

mint

Well, I don't know the answer.  Do you?

OH complains that I shrink his socks!  As though I do it deliberately, but I don't!

MY socks don't shrink so why do his?

He tells me he had socks that went up to his knees and that they are now shorter than ankle length.  No question that I will wash them by hand and I can't persuade him to wash them by (his) hands either!

I do them on "delicate" or 30 degrees but he insists that all his socks have shrunk!

Anyone else has this problem?  If not, please just let me know.  I can't wait to show OH your answers![;-)]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also wash ours on 30, but always stretch them before they go out on the balcony on the airer. Or when I have a bad back, as today, OH  stretches them.

I find that socks in France don't behave as in UK. I always reckon they turn into coathangers there!  Too many coathangers, and plenty of missing socks!  [:D] In France they mostly behave themselves1

My prob is SWMBO mis-matching pairs so when I'm in a rush for a biz meeting at some unearthly hour, dressing all suited and booted......................

Or the damned washing machine (Her excuse) eating socks!

So I finish up with odd socks in the drawer.

Dennis Healey, apparently suffers the precise same difficulty: Saw him interviewed banging on about it.

[:)]

No probs with shrinking socks, Sweets: probably 'cos me legs and feet are.

[blink]

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Well, mine seem to wear out at the heels quicker and quicker these days.

And another thing; why do some socks twist in wear so that the heel ends up on top? Very annoying![8-)]

[/quote]

Indeed: I suffer from this phenomenon too, Woolly.

Have come to the conclusion it's the cheap way they bang 'em out on machines.

Good wool socks (Wolsley e.g.) don't: if you can find them these days and not cheap!

I just don't have a problem with shrinking or worn out socks, unless they are fried in the Tumble drier or if I dance around the patio in them, so I don't, often[:)] I wash on 30° and let air dry. I always buy black, so don't worry too much about matching[:D], JL, M&S, Lidl, Champion et al according to where and when (JL are the best, you get what you pay for) !

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I trust, as a good Brit, John, that you wear your black socks with your sandals and white shorts. My kids say it's wrong.[/quote]

What are friends for if not to help one another out?, a particularly unkind (but candid) friend of a friend took this snap of a very good friend of mine (I've known him for what seems like all my life) during one such moment, obviously your kids are not all wrong, only cherrypickers and cheesemongers wear white shorts, and bearing in mind this is last years model, but clearly black socks, shoes and shorts are a la mode pour le average brit whilst going about his daily business in the sun[8-|]

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/classic69_72/socks.jpg[/IMG]

That's 2 then.  Although, to be honest, I'm not sure who washes whose socks chez Coops because we each put a wash on when the laundry basket is full - whoever's there at the time so it's a shared task - as are most things here.  If they weren't, I wouldn't still be here after 37 years.[;-)]

[quote user="just john "]

[quote user="Alan Zoff"]I trust, as a good Brit, John, that you wear your black socks with your sandals and white shorts. My kids say it's wrong.[/quote]

What are friends for if not to help one another out?, a particularly unkind (but candid) friend of a friend took this snap of a very good friend of mine (I've known him for what seems like all my life) during one such moment, obviously your kids are not all wrong, only cherrypickers and cheesemongers wear white shorts, and bearing in mind this is last years model, but clearly black socks, shoes and shorts are a la mode pour le average brit whilst going about his daily business in the sun[8-|]

[IMG]http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh166/classic69_72/socks.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Crikey John, with  friends like that who needs enemies. I always imagined your 'friend' as having more sartorial elegence. Think a visit by Gok or Trinny and Susannah might be be something for your 'friend'to consider.[Www]

edit: forgot to say that all my socks shrink in the washing machine irrelevant of the temperature. Can't blame the tumble drier as I've never had one.