Well, you did ask !

Bugsy

Well she did din't she and she got the reply and quite a good one as well.

I used to have one of those years ago. Pretty good engine, in-line 6 but the biggest problem was the gearbox and diff lock coming in automatically. Mine did it in a field but some did it on motorways, a 'wound up' diff can be pretty nasty and dangerous.

I've had a 4 litre for 13 years and, although a bit tired now, its been a pretty good vehicle. I've kept it only because it has literally no value in todays vehicle market but, with many 'battle' scars, is perfect for shopping in french supermarkets.

Fuel consumption is pretty scary though.

[quote user="Bugsy"]I've had a 4 litre for 13 years and, although a bit tired now, its been a pretty good vehicle. I've kept it only because it has literally no value in todays vehicle market but, with many 'battle' scars, is perfect for shopping in french supermarkets. Fuel consumption is pretty scary though. .[/quote]

At the time, in the days when money was no object [:(], I had it as a second car and used to go 'off roading' and camping. Have to say it was pretty good off road and got to a few places a Range Rover couldn't get mainly because it had the back wheels further back which gave excellent exit angles out of big ditches etc. My wife loved it as well, she said it was one of the most comfortable 'big' cars she had been in. That was until I got my hands on a 'Grand' which she truly loved. Have to say having had a 'Disco' as well the Jeep was a better car.

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/JeepatBeaulea.jpg[/IMG]

My baby.

and my other one. Great offroad but just as happy upside down as on its wheels.[:D]

[IMG]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/Bugbear2/Daihatsu.jpg[/IMG]

I had a Cherokee with the VM diesel engine as a company car many years ago. The most unreliable car I've ever had. The recurring fault (among many others) was the oil pressure sensor physically failing and dumping the contents of the sump all over the road.  It stranded us twice.. on the autobahn in Germany and down in Cornwall.... but may other times.

I had the Jeep area rep meet with me at the dealers... supposed special inspection.. and it still failed.

It resulted in the Leasing company who ran our company car scheme taking it back early.

A piece of junk. [:@]

Dreadful things!

My closest friend bought a brand new top of the range thing: petrol, 4.8 (?) litre. needed a bowser towed behind.......

Drove it 30 miles back after a dinner: waved all over the road: felt as positive as steering a blancmange.

Cost about £40,000 and that was a few years back.

I'll stick with my Beema thanks.

At least it tends to go where I point it.

[quote user="Bugsy"]A Bowler, bl**dy capitalist. [:P][:D]

I lusted after one of those for a long time in the days when I played in the mud.

[/quote]

Lust on boyo, they are actually not that expensive HERE is one for sale with a full set of spares and kit for £30k all ready to rally. Got the same engine as mine, 0-60 in about 3.9 sec and can cross a plowed field at 70mph plus without a problem. Lost my rally licence (and my PPL) due to the old dodgy ticker so I sold it. I bought it to France for just over a year (along with my Disco) when I first arrived and took my neighbour for a drive in the mountains. Took me nearly an hour to prise his fingers of the grab bar, he was a white as a sheet and didn't speak to me for about three months, happy days. The BMW is OK for on road and across the odd flat field but give it anything serious and you have a problem, even a Landcruiser is better.

Well from one extreme to another, something else I had a lot of fun with all be it a bit slower. Took this photo outside my mates place on the day I sold it.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/Picture_0143.jpg[/IMG]

This is a bit faster than my old Bowler, I'm in the back by the way. We had just landed at Conningsby having come back from the Falklands (with my Falklands medal). The picture is not that good as Mrs 'Q' is not that much of a photographer, there are some more photo's on Nick Hekwills website.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/29sqn.jpg[/IMG]

Enjoy

PS. Just in case you don't know what it is it's a Phantom FGR2 of 29 Squadron

[quote user="Quillan"]and can cross a plowed field at 70mph plus without a problem. [/quote]

High speed farming, Q?

[:D]

I used to occasionally charge over quite bumpy grass fields at over 70 when driving in the odd club Autocross meeting: however, that tended to be in such as a 998 c.c. Cooper s.

More sensibly, the Toyota Landcruiser is now pretty much the ubiquitous vehicle for Africa: and stole Land Rover's market. Mainly since Toyota made them better, cheaper and didn't quote 6 months delivery.

Whilst I agree the Toyota is a more reliable vehicle it just doesn't get over the same terrain as a LR as you will note as it's normally seen over the flat. The LR was not as reliable but the one thing about it is wherever you go in the world you can get spares and quickly. Thats the prime reason the Tomcat has LR running gear. I have even heard that in the Sahara people have taken a drive shaft from WW2 abandoned LR's to get going and they fit very well. Different cars for different courses. I did read or perhaps I saw it on TV that the Volvo 4X4 out performs the Landcruiser and just about everything out performs the BMW's unless we are talking about tarmaced roads.

I'm teasing you a bit here, Q: but you know that. [:)]

Agree about the Land Rover: used to use them as break downs. My last one being a 1949 SWB ex-Army petrol (Naturally) unit bought in an auction for pennies.

A mate decided to make over a SWB LR into a mini-wrecker: bad choice. He welded up a clever mini-jib complete with a winch.

Then recovered a banana-shaped Jag XK150: and tried to turn left and went straight on!

Amusing.

[:)]

Personally, I have never understood the fixation on "Normal" road users for immense 4X4 Chelsea Tractors.

Farmers, horsey people towing horse boxes, yes.

On the school run and shopping: no.

And as for idiots being fooled into buying a "Porsche" 4X4, considering it's simply a Volkswagen with false moustache and glasses.

I've always much preferred "Grunt", ultimate handling and a modicum of comfort the while.

And when I see how much these damned things cost for an image statement......................

P.S. Loved the narrow boat pic, BTW.

Always fancied one of those.

[quote user="Gluestick"]

And as for idiots being fooled into buying a "Porsche" 4X4, considering it's simply a Volkswagen with false moustache and glasses.

[/quote]

Oh god, that was funny, and so true.

As for 4wd, this is the only one I have ever had and do I miss it. I got offered it back a couple of weeks ago but things have moved on since.

[IMG]http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u263/crossy67/SPA51819.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Quillan"]Whilst I agree the Toyota is a more reliable vehicle it just doesn't get over the same terrain as a LR as you will note as it's normally seen over the flat. The LR was not as reliable but the one thing about it is wherever you go in the world you can get spares and quickly. Thats the prime reason the Tomcat has LR running gear. I have even heard that in the Sahara people have taken a drive shaft from WW2 abandoned LR's to get going and they fit very well. Different cars for different courses. I did read or perhaps I saw it on TV that the Volvo 4X4 out performs the Landcruiser and just about everything out performs the BMW's unless we are talking about tarmaced roads.[/quote] Q, on a pedantic note, there were no land Rovers in WW2. The first series 1 was built after the end of the war.

[quote user="powerdesal"][quote user="Quillan"]Whilst I agree the Toyota is a more reliable vehicle it just doesn't get over the same terrain as a LR as you will note as it's normally seen over the flat. The LR was not as reliable but the one thing about it is wherever you go in the world you can get spares and quickly. Thats the prime reason the Tomcat has LR running gear. I have even heard that in the Sahara people have taken a drive shaft from WW2 abandoned LR's to get going and they fit very well. Different cars for different courses. I did read or perhaps I saw it on TV that the Volvo 4X4 out performs the Landcruiser and just about everything out performs the BMW's unless we are talking about tarmaced roads.[/quote] Q, on a pedantic note, there were no land Rovers in WW2. The first series 1 was built after the end of the war.[/quote]

No, you, perdantic, never. [;-)] Your quite right but then it's only a story I heard third hand. I believe it was originally designed in Wales of all places, plenty of mountains to test it on I suppose. Based originally on the Willis Jeep.

[quote user="DerekJ"]I used to have a Lightweight with a 3.5L Range Rover engine shoehorned in. Great fun but very thirsty.

[IMG]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e170/DerekJordan/Sandbox/attachment.jpg[/IMG]
[/quote]

I once saw a LWB version at Tenby "Fun and Family Day" which had a Range Rover engine mounted centrally behind the two front seats. The only problem was the gearbox was round the other way which was a bit of a pain if you were not used to it.

I've never seen a longwheelbase version of the Lightweight.  Have you any photos?

I always had a hankering for the LR 101 Forward Control  but never quite got around to it. 

[img]http://www.military-today.com/trucks/land_rover_101.jpg[/img]

• 1 month later...