What is it about muffins

mint

I know we have talked "muffins" in the past and I have been looking for a basic recipe to which I can add "things"

BTW, 12 silicon muffin moulds from Lidl today for €5.....bargain or what?

So, let me get the basics right:

Is it SR or Plain Flour?

Is it butter or veg oil?

Is full fat milk necessary?

Thanks.

I haven't done Muffins but have done Jamies chocolate brownies, (tray £4 in Asda!) and was suprised to not find a recipe for them in his or Delia's Winter or even good old standby Readers Digest Cookery Year! Fortunately there are loads in an american book I bought 'The Cooks Encyclopedia of Baking' no less than 18 recipes, and they do vary quite a bit. (just in case you're wondering, its grey, rainy and cold and I'm waiting to meet someone in 40mins). Apple cranberry, bacon cornmeal, banana, blueberry, carrot, cheese, chocolate chip, chocolate walnut, dried cherry, maple pecan, oatmeal buttermilk, pecan spice, prune, pumpkin, raisin bran, raspberry crumble, Chocolate walnut, yogurt honey. I'm sure you must have walnuts coming out of your ears so how about that one?

basics are butter or Marg,
milk (unspecified) or none
wide range of flours usually with baking powder.

I'm sure you must have walnuts coming out of your ears so how about that one?
12 muffin recipe
3/4 cup butter, 5 ounce of chocolate, cup granulated sugar, 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, 4 eggs, teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 quarter teaspoon almond extract, 3/4 cup of flour, self raising or add teaspoon of baking powder), cup of chopped walnuts.

350F oven, gently melt butter with chocolate,stir in sugars, mix in eggs, add vanilla and almond extract, add walnuts stir and put into trays level, bake for 30mins ish, ( when fork comes out clean) remove to rack to cool. Simple [:)] 

The basic recipe I have been using lately, copied from a website, but I can't remember which:

Fool proof muffins (makes 12)

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C

Dry ingredients
:

• 275g plain flour

• 2 teaspoons baking powder

• 150g sugar

It doesn't really matter what sugar you use.

Wet ingredients:

• 240ml milk + 1 egg, beaten

• 90ml vegetable oil OR melted butter

You may wish to substitute some orange juice for the milk if it seems to suit the recipe (this makes lighter muffins but they don't seem to keep so long).

Flavour!

For double chocolate muffins, substitute 30g of the flour with 30g cocoa powder. Then add 100g chopped chocolate to the dry ingredients

For chocolate & cherry/dried muffins, substitute 30g of the flour with 30g of cocoa powder. Then add 50g of chopped cherries/dried fruit.

For apple muffins, add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the dry ingredients, then 2 chopped apples (skin on is fine) to the wet, and a handful of sultanas if you like. Top with brown sugar for extra sweet crunch.

For banana and chocolate muffins, add 100g chopped chocolate to the dry and 3 small bananas, mashed, to the wet.

For summer berry muffins, add a good handful of fresh berries like blueberries to the wet ingredients, along with a splash of vanilla.

For "healthy breakfast" muffins, add 50g oatbran to the dry bowl, and a couple of tablespoons of honey to the wet. When the muffins are still warm, drizzle more honey on top.

Method
:

Muffins are made by mixing the dry ingredients in one bowl, the wet in another (or a jug) and then adding the wet to the dry - mixing gently until there is no dry flour left visible, but no further. So, once you've decided on a flavour:

• Combine the 2 bowlfuls as directed above.

• Only gentle but firm mixing is required.

• A lumpy-ish batter is produced, which you then scrape or scoop into 12 paper cases in a muffin tray.

• Bake for approx 20 minutes at 180°C. (Until golden on top and a sharp knife stuck into a muffin comes out clean.)

• Allow to cool on a wire rack - if you can bear to!

I also use the muffin book I mentioned on a previous thred (here).

JJ, your list reminds me of the 2 Ronnie sketch when the big one was reeling off a list of icecreams to the little one.

After Big Ron had finished and paused for breath to take the Small One's order (RB was the waiter), RC innocently asked, could you repeat that list again?[:D]

Clair, thank you for taking so much time and effort to give me those recipes.  Muffins by tea time, AFTER I have cleared up the lunch things.

BTW, I tried Ben de Lisi 's (dress designer) recipe for aubergines.  Slice lengthways, dust with flour, dip in beaten egg and fry in breadcrumbs.  It was OK, not a lot of taste, but eaten with vegetable cakes and tomato ketchup and chutney plus a big salad, very nice on this lovely, warm day.

[quote user="sweet 17"]BTW, I tried Ben de Lisi 's (dress designer) recipe for aubergines.  Slice lengthways, dust with flour, dip in beaten egg and fry in breadcrumbs.  It was OK, not a lot of taste, but eaten with vegetable cakes and tomato ketchup and chutney plus a big salad, very nice on this lovely, warm day.[/quote]

I have yet to find a way to make aubergines interesting or palatable.

There's only so much "caviar d'aubergines" one can eat and don't even get me started on moussaka... [+o(] lamb + aubergines... I cannot think of a worse dish... OK, maybe tripes or andouillettes... [:P]

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Sorry, Clair et al, but those are NOT muffins -these are muffins:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muffin_(English)

Only in the US do we have to specify that they are English because they invented those disgusting chocolate things and nicked our name for them![:D]

[/quote]

I know, but have you tried cooking English muffins??? [:-))]

I have, and let me tell you I'll stick to the US bastardised version!![:P]

Have now tasted one.  Clair, I reckon it was a bit stodgy!  Certainly not as good as Tesco's IMHO.

However, OH said they were definitely better than Tesco's because they were here and Tesco was a long way away.  No discrimination, the OH....

Anyway, I think it has to be back to the drawing board...are they meant to be a bit doughy and greasy or have I done something stoopid?

Give me a few minutes.  I need to do that thing Bugs has advised and get rid of my Security Shield warning.

Muffins are good when toasted, topped with spinach, hollandaise sauce and a poached egg, so the yolk runs everywhere!! And as for crumpets..........

As a West country girl (born and bred) scones can only be eaten when the clotted cream is topped by home made strawberry jam [Www]

[quote user="Clair"][quote user="britgirl"]As a West country girl (born and bred) scones can only be eaten when the clotted cream is topped by home made strawberry jam [Www][/quote]
[:P] Jam, then cream...
[/quote]

Definitely, butter first, then jam, then cream.

But, Clair, please answer my question:  why do my muffins taste stodgy?