Bin Laden, RIH

woolybanana

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Quillan"]

Or keep everyone guessing and post something on the Internet in say 6 months time.

I see on the lunchtime news (that's the BBC not the DM) that the UN Security Secretary or whatever he's called is not too happy about America's invasion (for all of 40 minutes) of Pakistan.

I think the politicians and in particular America all think it's some form of game, unfortunately these games have a habit of back firing.

[/quote]

Perhaps the UN should be questioning the authorities in Pakistan a lot more closely about how much they knew - they have a lot of questions to answer IMHO.

PS There is nothing new is there : http://www.blackraiser.com/redoubt/

OK, I agree that BL is probably dead all I am saying is that the world should see the proof as should those that lost their loved ones.

Under UN law is it illegal to assassinate somebody but then lets face it many countries have broken this law but I rather thought America, UK and most of Europe would honour it.

One country does not have the right to enter a sovereign state without telling them what they are doing irregardless. I am sure that the Americans could have gone to the President of Pakistan (and just him) and 'explained' exactly what they wanted and if it leaks the ramifications for him. There is a definite difference between 'informing' the head of state and telling the whole of the upper military. Supposing their was a terrorist in the UK that the Americans wanted, what would be the public response if they just flew in and killed him/her without telling anyone what they were doing? Please don't say that's different because it isn't.

We all know that the Archbishop of Canterbury says some strange things at times but if you look at what he said in context then what he was saying was as he was unarmed and didn't resist why couldn't they bring him out alive to face trial. Yes of course we all know what the verdict would be but is it not part of western belief that everyone is entitled to a fair trial. If you follow this through to it's conclusion then why do we have trials for people who we know to be guilty. Why did we have a trial for Saddam who killed just as many people most of who were his fellow countrymen, what was the point of Nuremberg? It's all to do with our morals, not other peoples and being seen to do the right thing.

I am not denying it's good he his dead (hopefully) but lets see the proof and lets show the world we have far higher morals and standards than the terrorists else we make ourselves no better than them. All this has been handled very badly but as normal America has shown just how prepared it is to run rough shot over international law for it's own ends irregardless of the fallout afterwards.

Then lets suppose El Qaeda does mount revenge attacks, blows up some more tube trains and bus's or even, god forbid, they do have a few 'dirty bombs' hidden around the world, how will we feel about this then. Sometimes it's better to leave the head on the sleeping snake than chop it off and it's brother and sisters seek revenge.

How do you provide proof? A picture? Well that's easy to photoshop as has already been seen.

I think the right decision has been made.

Where I think the US is in error is the changing of the story of how he was taken out. I can also understand why they went in without Pakistan's approval and I dare say it was a last resort decision.

To my mind there is no doubt that the right decision was made when killing Bin Laden. Is this a rare occasion where the US have learned from their mistake in not killing Saddam Hussain when it would have been oh so easy?

john

To keep him alive and in prison would have made a Icon of him whilst still alive more than dead I think.

The best thing was to kill him as I thought he was tagged as shoot on sight anyway.Also a watery grave does not leave a shrine for everyone to go to and pray.

Yes he will probably be replaced by another nutter but its one very nasty one left.

Rest in Hell, Nah having stoking fires down there instead of his how many virgins he reacons hes in for!!!

[quote user="Quillan"] There is a definite difference between 'informing' the head of state and telling the whole of the upper military.   [/quote]

OK, conspiracy for you Q; Did you not think the president of Pakistan was pretty cool about the whole thing? perhaps he did know and asked that Pakistan be kept out of it to reduce local reprisals?

[quote user="Quillan"] Why did we have a trial for Saddam who killed just as many people most of who were his fellow countrymen,  [/quote]

Did we?, was it not the trial of the deposed President of Iraq Saddam Hussein by themselves, the Iraqi Interim Government for crimes against humanity during his time in Office?

and the Nuremberg trials didn't involve Adolf who had already topped himself or . . .

[quote user="Russethouse"]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13313201

Now are you convinced Q ?

[/quote]

"according to a statement attributed to the group and posted on jihadist internet forums."

No detail, no info about real people involved, no way of verifying anything, nothing at all to even indicate who it was written by.

If you check out the IP address of the forum poster it seems to originate from somewhere in the vicinity of Langley, Virginia [:D]

It must be true, you are reading this on a forum[;-)]

Danny

[quote user="Russethouse"]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-13313201

Now are you convinced Q ?

[/quote]

Assuming this is true then one has to admit it looks like he is dead. A photo would still be nice as final proof. Going to be a bit hard to hand his body over to his family though. Still think it was badly done and there are going to be some serious implications and repercussions.

By the way did anyone see the thing on the news about the Pakistanis selling the tail section of the 'stealth' helicopter that crashed during the raid to the Chinese. Apparently all the high tech electronics that made it 'invisible' where in the tail section and the Chinese are very keen to get their hands on it and willing to pay billions.