Films you recommend

krusty

The Grapes of Wrath - all it needs to make it even more depressing is soundtrack featuring The Smiths and Leonard Cohen.

I have never read the book so cannot comment on the how faithful the film is. Surprised that no-one has financed a remake featuring a Romanian extended family on their way to the Fens for veg picking.

John

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Iceni"]

The Grapes of Wrath - all it needs to make it even more depressing is soundtrack featuring The Smiths and Leonard Cohen.

I have never read the book so cannot comment on the how faithful the film is. Surprised that no-one has financed a remake featuring a Romanian extended family on their way to the Fens for veg picking.

John

[/quote]

You must read the book , I read it over 40 years ago and the last page still haunts me.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote user="Deby"]District 9 - excellent film - a Sci Thriller and its not what you expect not at all predictable. Inglourious Basterds - excellent film - Mr Pitt plays an excellent character - as well as the German Officer - I tip him for an Oscar![/quote]

Loved both of them . Definately recommend.

The Lovely Bones, yes an excellent but disturbing film. Avatar, superb - despite what others have said. I also enjoyed The Book of Eli (Denzel Washington). An old film I really enjoyed - In Bruges, 2008 I think.

I saw the script for Avatar and decided to give it a miss....

[img]http://wtfoodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/avatar-pocahontas-500x486.jpg[/img]

In reality, I have not seen it as I hear its best viewed on the big screen. My local cinema is about the size of my living room, with two rows of seats reclaimed from an old coach (and Im not joking either) facing a screen thats probably the same size as my own telly. I will wait for the dvd - at least it will be in English that way.

I agree that I think it would be pretty daft to see Avatar on a small screen (a 42" job might be OK) as it's not exactly got the snappiest script in the business..

However, great on small screen or large, imo, would be "Up in the Air" or "In the Air" as it is bizarely called over here, which I saw last night.  Smart, funny, thought-provoking and - for those who fancy him (not my type) - George Clooney, who is brilliant in it.  Saw this last night - Jason Reitman's next pic' after the equally excellent Juno.

[quote user="cooperlola"]However, great on small screen or large, imo, would be "Up in the Air" or "In the Air" as it is bizarely called over here, which I saw last night.  Smart, funny, thought-provoking and - for those who fancy him (not my type) - George Clooney, who is brilliant in it.  Saw this last night - Jason Reitman's next pic' after the equally excellent Juno.[/quote]

I watched Up in the air a couple of weeks ago and I loved it!

I stepped into the storyline effortlessly and enjoyed every minute of the movie.

That the three main characters (Clooney's, Kendrick's and Farmiga's) are so believable is a credit to an excellent script and superb directorial input.

I have watched a few good films recently.

Miss Potter from 2006 was very good .....little bits of animation on some of the characters in the books. Beatrix Potter was right about the size of her books , as a child I always thought her books where for girls so I chose Thomas the tank engine (also  small  books).

Sherlock Holmes 2009, not like any previous Holmes but I enjoyed it.

An old one from 1953 "Pick up on south street " with Richard Widmark was great.

Inside man also from 2006 with Denzel Washington as with most of his films very good.

Went to see Avavtar in 3D last night - amazing effects, thin story. BUT, I had to leave half way through as it mage me feel very sick - like travel sickness. Just got back home in time......!

I hope that this isn't going to be the case in all 3D films/ TV or I will be rather limited in viewing choices in the future as 3D becomes more popular/ commonplace.

Pouyade

Went to see Avatar in 3D last night - amazing effects, thin story. BUT, I had to leave half way through as it made me feel very sick - like travel sickness. Just got back home in time......!

I hope that this isn't going to be the case in all 3D films/ TV or I will be rather limited in viewing choices in the future as 3D becomes more popular/ commonplace.

Pouyade

• 2 weeks later...