Films you recommend

krusty

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those in the Perigord, the ACIP film club has a new organiser and we're now going to have two sessions, probably monthly, the first for general films and the second to watch a classic film and then have a discussion about it, classic films to include world cinema so French and Japanese for sure and not just UK/American.

Had a great evening last week watching Hot Fuzz - so silly but so funny, 30 adults who might have known better having a really good laugh and then off to dinner afterwards.

As a Trekkie fan, I have strong reservations about the new Star Trek movie.

Have they spoilt it? It looks very much like Star Wars from the trailers I've seen. While I like Star Wars, Star Trek has always been more thinking mans mainstream sci fi ie think your way out of trouble rather than blast out of trouble.

I've heard lots of good things about it from non Trekkies, but nothing from Trekkies themselves.

I had a call from a Trekkie friend in the UK yesterday.  He was very impressed also and thought the young actors had been well chosen to represent the old bunch.  Simon Pegg  who plays Scottie (I think I'm right), does take the p*ss out of the role a bit which will either annoy or please you.

I've read good things about the new Star Trek movie, and that most Trekkies approve of it.   We've just been to see State of Play with Russell Crowe (I don't mean he came with us [:D]) and it was great.

Thought I might as well put something on here - I've been reading all your posts for so long now...

Hopefully going to see the new Star Trek film at the weekend - can't wait![:D]  A great sci-fi film I really like is Serenity (from the cancelled Firefly series - also brilliant). [geek] I was also really looking forward to the X-Men Origins film, but the reviews have been pretty bad and I could wait until the dvd release and drool over Hugh Jackman in the privacy of my own home! [;-)]

I agree with previous posts about Strictly Ballroom and The Departed, but I didn't get the big hoo-haa over Mamma Mia.  Don't get me wrong I like the music, and I was brought up on musicals by my mum and grandma, but it didn't do anything for me.  In fact the sight of Pierce Brosnan, Stellan Skaarsgard and Colin Firth in those outfits means I may be in therapy for life!![+o(] I'm more of a Paint Your Wagon, Seven Brides and Calamity Jane fan. 

One of the best films I've seen is The Lives of Others, about the Stasi operations.

If there any recent French releases that anyone would particularly recommend, I'd love to hear about them, then I can look out for them on Amazon France in a few months. 

" If there any recent French releases that anyone would particularly

recommend, I'd love to hear about them, then I can look out for them on

Amazon France in a few months. "

I recently saw "Entre les Murs", a really thought provoking film. The story is about a teacher in an inner city school and the problems of teaching children of mixed race.

[:D] How exciting - my first direct response. (Doesn't take much does it? [:$])

I'd heard about this one before, so will definitely check it out.  Thanks Cendrillon!!

If only the local cinemas were a bit more adventurous about the films they show. 

I also recommend Le Placard with Daniel Auteuil, and Le Diner de Cons - Hilarious!

I loved le Diner de Cons (despite Thierry Lhermite, who I usually find vaguely annoying).    I watched Les Ripoux a couple of weeks ago, and although I liked it less than les cons, it was worth watching if only for the lovely Philippe Noiret.

I didn't realise that ripoux is actually verlain for pourri (rotten/corrupt) although it's obvious now I've been told [:$]

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking forward to seeing the new Star trek ............a question for the trekkies out there , Enterprise is a high tech space ship , how come no seat belts ?

First hint of turbulence every one gets thrown to the floor [Www]

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="krusty"]

I am looking forward to seeing the new Star trek ............a question for the trekkies out there , Enterprise is a high tech space ship , how come no seat belts ?

First hint of turbulence every one gets thrown to the floor [Www]

[/quote]

Agreed Number 1.

Even when they crashed it big time in Generations, no seat belts, everyone was thrown everywhere. Not a single gendarme (sp) on the scene either to book anyone!

Anyway, Martyrs (a French film) is a very good horror. It's gorier than the Saw series and has a better story than Hostel. Not into gore since the Freddie Kruegar movies made me bored with them, but Martyrs was excellently done.

Hav found watching foreign horror movies with the subtitles to be very good. Guess it's because you have to focus so much more to read and see quickly what's going on.

R.

Saw "Looking for Eric" last night (in France). Very enjoyable and a Ken Loach with a happy, if somewhat contrived ending. One thing is for sure - the French in the audience will have learnt one English word beginning with f!

Just finished watching Days of Glory on DVD. An excellent French film about the forgotten French war hero's from Algeria and Morocco in WW2 and how they were treated. Some good action shots but also a sort of social history film. Some of it is quite moving as well. The Times said of it "The most powerful war film of the year", Radio 5 called it "the best war film since Saving Private Ryan". Well worth getting a copy if you haven't seen it.

[quote user="Quillan"]Just finished watching Days of Glory on DVD. An excellent French film about the forgotten French war hero's from Algeria and Morocco in WW2 and how they were treated. Some good action shots but also a sort of social history film. Some of it is quite moving as well. The Times said of it "The most powerful war film of the year", Radio 5 called it "the best war film since Saving Private Ryan". Well worth getting a copy if you haven't seen it.[/quote]

Days of Glory is showing on BBC4 tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00l9j3v

One that was called " la main droite du diable" in French,   " betrayed " in English, 1998, Costa Gavras.

FK's " mississipi burning" made me think of it.

Same topic, + a love story that is not sweet at all.

Just noticed it was not for under 18 in English,  no restriction in France... [Www]

Watched 'No country for Old Men' which somebody lent me the other night, not a bad film. I have 'Changeling' to watch which I bought with the very disappointing 'Australia' and 'Quantum of Solis', I am hoping for better things from Clint. Just need to find some time to watch it now.